Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS thread 10P Mar 1-10A Mar 2, 2019

wdrag

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

Wow. I wasn’t expecting to see totals this high, but the north shore really is a different entity.

I’m equidistant from the LI Sound and the Great South Bay. Finished with exactly 3 inches here.

Turned into a localized warning level event for the North Shore with the 6.5” in Syosset. 

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSOKX&e=201903021601

18 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Long Beach according to parents had an inch. I'll be there later this afternoon. Not too surprised since the immediate shore really struggled with sleet/rain for a while. 

Not surprised. Only got 1.5” here in SW Suffolk near the GSB.

NYC Central Park a healthy 2", maybe even a bit more. Plus we still had snow cover from the prior event, so it added nicely and gave a solid cover.

Lots of happy kids on sleds, even a few intrepid cross country skiers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, etudiant said:

NYC Central Park a healthy 2", maybe even a bit more. Plus we still had snow cover from the prior event, so it added nicely and gave a solid cover.

Enough to enjoy but with minimal effect on travel. Roads just wet with lots of melting now.

5 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Lots of happy kids on sleds, even a few intrepid cross country skiers.  I thought per the 7A NWS ob there at CP, a healthy 4 and rising.  Glad NYC is doing better. It's not over this month.... we still eventually may get a phaser but it could be too warm mid or late March.  It's the phasers that are extra special

30 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Central Park recorded 4 inches today and it definitely did not have 2 inches on the ground already. 

30 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The northern extent of the heavier snowfall needs to be moved north by a pretty fair bit. There were lots of reports of 4" in Westchester and I'm right on the county line in Putnam and had 4.5". 

Interpolated from the reporting system (satellite and obs).  If the obs didn't make it in, which i dont know exactly what they accept, then that impacts the evaluation. I just don't know why Westchester is not properly evaluated. 

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Interpolated from the reporting system (satellite and obs).  If the obs didn't make it in, which i dont know exactly what they accept, then that impacts the evaluation. I just don't know why Westchester is not properly evaluated. 

Here is more info to support what I think is a pretty good evaluation.  It in part depends on the observed information being assimilated with there Satellite. A link is provided, plus a snap shot graphic of one of the important pages. 

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/technology/pdf/snow_data_assimilation.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 8.14.50 AM.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Thanks @wdrag. It's also tough since Jerry doesn't report from Yorktown anymore so there's no more reliable reports form the northern end of Westchester and I don't know of any trained spotters here in Putnam that report regularly. I've thought about it but my property doesn't lend itself to proper measuring.

You're very welcome.  It must be the lack of obs either via PNS or LSR or lack of CoCORAHS obs or NWS COOP.  Here are the CoCORAHS obs. Only one of 4" 

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 9.04.10 AM.png

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 8:01 AM, NittanyWx said:

DGZ, low wind.  March is now Feb.

Only when we start seeing double digit storm totals in March in urban areas- they're exceedingly rare.  This was yet another storm with a borderline airmass.  In March you need a strong deep push of Arctic air while a storm develops off the coast to get what you can get in January and February with borderline airmasses.