Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS thread 10P Mar 1-10A Mar 2, 2019

wdrag

Just now, jm1220 said:

Jan 2016 which I missed in Texas. :axe: (but yeah that really sucked)

Long Beach definitely cashes in at times. The late March storm last winter was awesome when it went to town that night. A foot of paste on everything, and the boardwalk adds to all of it. Boxing Day 2010 was probably my favorite blizzard scene in LB. Jan 1996 is still my #1 snow event, but from what I heard Jan 2016 likely surpassed it. Southern Nassau/Queens was really the bullseye that time. 

Yep, from like Jackson Heights down to Jamaica-Howard Beach area out east to a line from about Hicksville down to Oceanside had between 30-34" inches!

What a weird (but exciting) winter that went from a record warm December to a record January snowstorm to the first below zero temp in February (on Valentine's Day no less!) since the early 60s!  We had 40-50 inches of snow in a winter that was about 10 degrees warmer than this one!

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Yep, from like Jackson Heights down to Jamaica-Howard Beach area out east to a line from about Hicksville down to Oceanside had between 30-34" inches!

What a weird (but exciting) winter that went from a record warm December to a record January snowstorm to the first below zero temp in February (on Valentine's Day no less!) since the early 60s!  We had 40-50 inches of snow in a winter that was about 10 degrees warmer than this one!

I flew home 10 days after that storm hit, and all that was left were mall piles. Couldn't have been good to have all that snow melt right away, it's always better to have a solid snow cover like 2010-11 did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I flew home 10 days after that storm hit, and all that was left were mall piles. Couldn't have been good to have all that snow melt right away, it's always better to have a solid snow cover like 2010-11 did. 

2010-11 was one of my favorite winters and would have been perfect if it didn't get cut short in early February.  One of these years we'll have our perfect winter.  Hopefully while we're still alive lol.

Just now, jm1220 said:

Sleet line looks about as far north as it's going in NJ, parts of it are pulling back. But LI radar is showing the typical resistance to the sleet line clearing the south shore, or even making it there in Suffolk. Wouldn't be surprised if in LB it's raining with sleet mixed in. 

lol it would be weird if it was snowing on one side of the bridge and raining on the other side- that happened in an event in Feb 10

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Sleet line looks about as far north as it's going in NJ, parts of it are pulling back. But LI radar is showing the typical resistance to the sleet line clearing the south shore, or even making it there in Suffolk. Wouldn't be surprised if in LB it's raining with sleet mixed in. 

Fire Island and SW Suffolk probably get less snow on average than Long Beach does.

50 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Legitimate heavy snow now under 35-40 dBZ echoes with 1/4 mile visibility and >1" per hour rates over the last 15 minutes.  Went from 1/2" total to 1" total in the last 20 minutes or so.  If this stays snow, looking at the radar, we'll easily make 3".  As I said earlier today, they really ought to split Middlesex into 2 zones with the northern zone from about North Brunswick to Perth Amboy - that section could've been under an advisory too and it fits nicely between SI and Somerset County.  Still 32F

Still snowing heavily here in Metuchen with 1" falling in the last 40 minutes, as we're up to 2" now, as of 3:00 am.  Snow is piling up.  Temp has dropped to 31F.  My only worry is that it looks like that sleet line has crept back up almost to the Raritan, maybe 5 miles south of me.  If it stays snow, we could get 5".  I'll say it again - it's absolutely gorgeous out there.  

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Still snowing heavily here in Metuchen with 1" falling in the last 40 minutes, as we're up to 2" now, as of 3:00 am.  Snow is piling up.  Temp has dropped to 31F.  My only worry is that it looks like that sleet line has crept back up almost to the Raritan, maybe 5 miles south of me.  If it stays snow, we could get 5".  I'll say it again - it's absolutely gorgeous out there.  

In a storm like this, the best place is just north of the sleet line. Models don't have the line advancing much further north-the coastal low should be headed ENE from here and drag cold air down. Sleet may tick north a little further but it won't surge, it's not like a SWFE. You may be one of the jackpot areas. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

In a storm like this, the best place is just north of the sleet line. Models don't have the line advancing much further north-the coastal low should be headed ENE from here and drag cold air down. It may tick north a little further but it won't surge, it's not like a SWFE. You may be one of the jackpot areas. 

Thanks, was kind of hoping for that scenario, since the sleet line appears to have halted at the Raritan and is sagging back SE-ward in Mercer/Somerset.  Jackpot has a nice sound to it, lol...

Ripping HEAVY snow here in northeastern Queens! Easily a solid inch so far. Looks like we will get 3-5" minimum here. Didn't expect such intensity with this system. 

And now Sunday night looks like 6"+ possible with the southern trend. 

Maybe the March 10th weekend storm produces enough to put NYC over the average seasonal snowfall? Yes, it is asking for a lot, but quite possible! 

Crazy but based on dual pol, Amityville and points east south of 27A, and barrier islands Jones Beach to Fire Island are rain and staying that way since the sleet line stopped moving. Long Beach is probably sleet and rain mix. Heavy sleet in Massapequa, Bellmore, Merrick. Amazing how this seems to work out so many times on Long Island. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Crazy but based on dual pol, Amityville and points east south of 27A, and barrier islands Jones Beach to Fire Island are rain and staying that way since the sleet line stopped moving. Long Beach is probably sleet and rain mix. Heavy sleet in Massapequa, Bellmore, Merrick. Amazing how this seems to work out so many times on Long Island. 

The line actually went back north slightly again across Nassau and west Suffolk.  Ratios aren’t great with this so far.  Looks like it’s running 8:1 but it’ll probably improve  

22 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

In a storm like this, the best place is just north of the sleet line. Models don't have the line advancing much further north-the coastal low should be headed ENE from here and drag cold air down. Sleet may tick north a little further but it won't surge, it's not like a SWFE. You may be one of the jackpot areas. 

that was like day one of the Dec 03 event

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

it's snow here with occasional sleet pinging, so something between 80-90 snow and 10-20 sleet I would guess percentage wise.  everything seems to be covered

29 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

2.75" as of 3:30 pm, so 1.5" per hour rates for the last 30 minutes, and it's still snowing moderately to heavily, plus it looks like the sleet line went as far north as the Raritan and has since sunk back southward by several miles, so hopefully I'm in the clear.  31F still 

21 minutes ago, Meteoropoulos said:

Ripping HEAVY snow here in northeastern Queens! Easily a solid inch so far. Looks like we will get 3-5" minimum here. Didn't expect such intensity with this system. 

And now Sunday night looks like 6"+ possible with the southern trend. 

Maybe the March 10th weekend storm produces enough to put NYC over the average seasonal snowfall? Yes, it is asking for a lot, but quite possible! 

Yeah I have 1.5"+ in Bronx. Looks nice out there. Expecting 4-6". Three nights in a row of snow in a snowless winter, who would have thought.

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic