Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

20 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Haven’t you heard? Winter’s over. We’re closed and I’m on holiday. Even brought my dear Abaddon along.

tumblr_oyo3azX3Sv1qzfsnio6_1280.png

Ha!  Looks like it could be one of the puppies @Bob Chill or @stormtracker threatened to kick at one point after some model run weeks ago!  Or maybe that was bunnies (@Ralph Wiggum?) , can't recall exactly!  You may be on holiday now, but I'm sure some are wondering when early registration begins for next winter's reaping...low price specials if you go early??  Maybe toss in a few free Ginzu knives or a bamboo steamer.  Gotta keep the business competitive during the off-season, ya know!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Dang.  That was a fast year.  I've still got some KBS from last spring.

Seems to be more readily available now. My go-to place still has some of last year's batch left. Also noticed they have the Bourbon County stouts on sale.

21 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks @gymengineer for starting the thread. Just didn't feel right now that I don't live here. 

I claim eternal rights to the tropical thread through :) 

Have some friends I've known for 30+ yeas who live 15 miles south of Livingston, MT about a 1/4 mile from the Yellowstone River (spectacular landscape).  They moved there from NOVA when he retired 2 years ago.  Built their dream house on a bluff overlooking the river, the whole works.  Great people. 

They visited this week and over dinner talked about their winter.  Been the coldest and snowiest winter anyone there can remember, ever.  Day after day of below zero highs and lots of snow.  Temps at their place bottomed out at -33F, but they are "protected" from the worse of the cold, which hit the eastern front range.  Said they were glad they built their house with 2x6 walls for extra insulation.  

The temps are one thing.  The part they said was the worse was the wind.  Living between two mountain ranges when the conditions are right, which is often, the wind is a constant 20-30 down the valley.  On some of the passes it's higher, which with the snow really compounds the effects on everything from keeping roads open (drifting) to machinery, to livestock, etc.  They can't wait for spring and some relief.  Are flying back to Mt. tomorrow from their East Coast warmup trip.  Temping to go with them for some REAL winter...  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

You are the one carrying it on across multiple threads.  That was you.

Poolz made a reference to our spat in another thread and I replied too it...YESTERDAY.  That would have been the end but you decided to bring it back up today. You are the one carrying on. You brought this on yourself.  Don’t start with some woe is me persecution case. You did all this. My riff with baltimorewxguy had nothing to do with you.  You decided to make a stink and now your acting like I’m attacking you!

And furthermore, and I wasn’t going to even bring this up in the interest of board civility, but you have done it a couple times now and you won’t let this go so I’m gonna say it.  Obviously my trolling did bother you.  But that has nothing to do with SAD.  That’s just you not liking it and bringing SAD into the argument to try to add legitimacy to your case was out of line.  SAD is affected by the weather.  It is in no way affected by someone posting images of weather, as a joke or otherwise.  

I don’t wish you or your wife ill and implying that was wrong imo.  But you cannot expect to get everyone to root for the kind of weather you want and not joke about or talk about snow in spring because of a very personal situation that most don’t even know about and isn’t on their mind.  That’s just not realistic.  But that doesn’t mean people are out to get you or wish you ill.  

Now...you have every right to say you disagree with me and not like what I said and make your own case refuting everything I said.  I’m not trying to shut you down.  Your free to say what you want.  But so am I.  You can’t come at me and then whine when I come back at you!  

If you want to continue this I’m willing to discuss it in banter civilly.  I’m also willing to let it go whenever you are.  I was done with this already and wouldn’t have said anything else if you didn’t start back up again today.   I don’t dislike you.  This isn’t personal.  I don’t wish you any harm.  I just didn’t like the way you conducted this argument.  Plenty of people don’t like the way I have conducted myself at times  and I’m sure several times they were right and I was wrong.  That’s life.  Maybe I’m wrong now but this is how I feel.   

I simply asked that maybe people could back off bad faith and shit posting, for once, and even gave a personal reason for the request. After ten years on this board, apparently not enough good will to stop a pile on across three threads now.

i can’t imagine why so many regulars have left over the years. You win. Please go ahead and keep making fun of my request and chiding that I was somehow limiting the fun. For a guy who seems as laid back and accepting of things as you appear to be politically, you have a real tone deafness on here sometimes. In any event, glad I could give you and others someone to make fun of, I guess.

in the other thread, I simply pointed out that I never told anyone not to discuss the weather - the disinegenous allegation you made so you could keep the pile on going. Thanks, also, for making sure to keep this as public as possible. Very kind.

38 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I simply asked that maybe people could back off bad faith and shit posting, for once, and even gave a personal reason for the request. After ten years on this board, apparently not enough good will to stop a pile on across three threads now.

i can’t imagine why so many regulars have left over the years. You win. Please go ahead and keep making fun of my request and chiding that I was somehow limiting the fun. For a guy who seems as laid back and accepting of things as you appear to be politically, you have a real tone deafness on here sometimes. In any event, glad I could give you and others someone to make fun of, I guess.

in the other thread, I simply pointed out that I never told anyone not to discuss the weather - the disinegenous allegation you made so you could keep the pile on going. Thanks, also, for making sure to keep this as public as possible. Very kind.

You could have made your case without bringing SAD into it when that has nothing to do with this.  I still wouldn’t agree with you and I think a little light hearted fun isn’t a bad thing but I would have respected your argument more. 

As for the rest...sorry your not going to shut down my right to defend myself and refute your arguments against me with this passive aggressive tactic.  If your going to comment about me I have the right to reply.  Your not going to guilt me into silence with this strategy.  

No one is piling on you.  You have done this before. You say something and then when someone disagrees with you you act like they are attacking you.  People have the right to disagree with you and say so!  

@North Balti Zen as for my politics...as long as they aren’t hurting anyone I respect everyone’s right to live however they want and say whatever they want and believe whatever they want!  And I am passionate about that. 

But I have no time for this safe space nonsense. And if your going to dish it you need to be able to take it. Just because I’m liberal doesn’t mean I am soft.  I want to make the world a better place but reality is harsh and you have to be able to suck it up a little. 

That said I don’t actually wish you any harm.  You have the right to disagree with me. You have the right to not like me.  And I still don’t wish anything but the best for you and everyone else.  But I have the right to disagree with you and say what I think also. You don’t seem to respect that!

Not directed at any one in particular here - just observing...  

Wish everyone would assume more "Noble Intent" from everyone else.  If that was exercised just a little more (ok, maybe a lot more?), the overall atmospherics here would be more enjoyable.  Before someone thinks "where's this guy coming from with only 600 posts?", I practice the dying art of reading more and posting less.  Maybe some will think I should have exercised the "post less" ideal and not posted this.  That's ok.  None the less, I've been here since the start and on Eastern before that back to the late 90's and on several forums before that, here and overseas.  Yes, trying to download Sat Imagery with a dial-up modem in India mandated patience and fortitude, the very thing we seem to lack on multiple fronts in today's world of immediate gratification.  

In the good ole days here the tone of even the most terse disagreements was far more civil than some of the recent tendencies here.  And by recent I mean the last few years.  I don't blame some who've gotten frustrated and taken a back seat hiatus to the fray, which includes many who were/are the foundation of the MA Forum.  I read every single posting here in all the threads, bar none.  While the humor is often abstract, to the point of really challenging one's intellect to grasp a punch line, we all need to remember this is just weather.  None of us can do anything to change any of it no matter how much focused will we can muster.  In that light, we should not take it nor ourselves too seriously practicing this cursed science, hobby and/or profession (the latter out of deference to those who make their livings at it).  

I've been a weather affectionado all of my life.  At one point was on a clear track to become a Pro Met, which was sidelined half-way through college to become an engineer instead.  During the few events this year when the Pro Mets and Forecasters came out of the woodwork to contribute, the educational value went way up - the conflicts way down - and the overall enjoyment level peaked.  Typically that was in storm mode.  Sadly, during much of the rest of the season the level of dialogue conveyed a lower level of civility than in the past, which impacted the atmospherics significantly.

I wish we lived in a climate that provided more snow to promote this elevated level of cordial exchange so it was the norm instead of the exception.  Probably many of us do.  However, the MA does not enjoy this luxury and we're left scraping for whatever Mother Nature can muster.  As a result, it seems for in our area, the proverbial "idle minds will wonder" syndrome applies.  

With meteorological winter waining, hope we're able to put this perplexingly odd season behind us soon and move forward, with noble intent.  With sincere best wishes to all....  R

• Like 1

Hey y'all. Haven't posted in a bit. Wanted to let you guys in on a cool fact. Guadalupe Mountains National Park out in my CWA had the mesonet hit 103 mph on Wednesday when that storm was bombing out. It is in the top 10 highest ever recorded up there, but still had work to do to eclipse the record of 128 mph set back in the late 90's. We hit 63 mph at MAF during the wind event and some areas did reach into the 70's across SE NM. Dodge City set their all-time record lowest pressure in the modern era of instrumentation, breaking the old record set back on Feb 9th, 1960. That date is also famous for MAF because that same day, we set, and still to this day holds the record for highest observed wind gust from a non-convective standpoint. We hit 86 mph on that date. Highest wind we ever recorded was from a derecho in June 30th, 2007 when the site recorded a 96 mph wind gust at 1213am. So, needless to say, this event will go down as a historical moment in meteorological history out in these parts. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

@RDM

You’re one of my favorite posters. 

Not sure what happened, but yeah...spring is around the corner! 

007 - I'm not worthy of such accolades, but thank you anyway.  You sure you haven't been sampling too many IPA's?  

I just love weather and the more extreme Mother Nature can muster the better.  Been fortunate to experience some truly grand weather phenomena living overseas in my career.  Maybe it's made me more tolerate of what we don't get enough of here in the MA (that being enough snow for one - darn it).  

None the less, I choose to live here because it's where my career is and where my family and I call home.  Wish we had more snow and I for one don't care what time of year we get it.  Snow is snow and I ain't picky what the amount is nor the rate nor the ratio nor the freaking sun angle.  That said, if it ain't gonna snow, then bring on Spring.  It is what it is and no matter where you go, there you are.  Gotta make the best of it no matter what.  Life is too short and getting shorter the older I get.  Cheers, bottoms up, prost, ching ching, shongel, compai etc...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm putting the veggies and corn beef in the slow cooker now. There is definitely some beer in my afternoon plans.

Still trying to decide if I want to do up some corn beef myself or be lazy and go to a diner for it. I'm generally lazy so i have a good idea on which option I will take. :) 

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Still trying to decide if I want to do up some corn beef myself or be lazy and go to a diner for it. I'm generally lazy so i have a good idea on which option I will take. :) 

I'm not sure if it's local to my Giant, but the two slabs that I'm slow cooking in two crockpots now were $18 total. And it couldn't be easier. One is point cut and the other is flat cut.

IMG_0574.thumb.PNG.ab91c83fee6f5646dd601fda8aec65b8.PNG

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic