Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

19 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I dont have a huge NCAA rooting interest, but Zion has made me a Duke fan for this season.  Love to watch that kid play.

Agree - Zion's got spunk.  Know lots of folks don't care for Duke.  However, Coach K has one of the highest percentages of players who graduate, which should be highlighted more.  Believe well over 90% of his players get a degree.  In this era when the "all about me syndrome" is so rampant, K still emphasizes there's no I in team.  Need more of that in sports across the board.  At the risk of totally derailing things, I'm loath to watch some of the "I" influences of the NBA on the NCAA.  So few in NCAA hoops actually make it to the pros, and then without a degree what do they have left.  Used to be called "student-athlete" but things got skewed along the way.  Of course, the NCAA is an enormous revenue machine, which does not help.  

Lastly, I'm from Ohio, so the concept of Michigan winning is scary, but I do respect their game.  The Buckeyes were sorry to watch this year except for a few bright moments...

4 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Zion is great, but I don’t think Duke wins it all. We’ll see what the bracket looks like. Last year was my worst ever.

I agree.  They don’t shoot it particularly well so I think they could struggle at some point.  I think Florida St is a sneaky final four team and also like UK to make a run as well.

3 hours ago, Fozz said:

Well, I drove up to northern New England, and this was the view of Mt. Washington from Wildcat earlier today. If you look closely at the summit, you can see their famous observatory.

3rSsvAE.jpg

9XAr95V.png

K3P5HYU.jpg

Nice. What were the snow conditions?  How’s their base?  I might head up to either wildcat or sugarloaf the last weekend in March.  

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Nice. What were the snow conditions?  How’s their base?  I might head up to either wildcat or sugarloaf the last weekend in March.  

They have a ton of snow and the base is very deep. Problem is it gets icy after they rain or torch. The groomed runs are fine, but the ungroomed ones should be avoided.

3 hours ago, Fozz said:

Well, I drove up to northern New England, and this was the view of Mt. Washington from Wildcat earlier today. If you look closely at the summit, you can see their famous observatory.

3rSsvAE.jpg

9XAr95V.png

K3P5HYU.jpg

I'm gonna have to get back up there, used to go 3, 4, 5 times a year with wife. Haven't been since she passed away back in 2012. 

10 hours ago, Fozz said:

They have a ton of snow and the base is very deep. Problem is it gets icy after they rain or torch. The groomed runs are fine, but the ungroomed ones should be avoided.

I’m trying to hit a weekend that warms up. Ideally sunny and 45 degrees. Get it to soften up. Yea powder would be ideal but that’s the second best conditions imo. I had 4 weekends available. The first two I passed because it looked cold/dry. I won’t do that. I have 2 options left. Last week of March and first of April. Hopefully one of them is either warm or a late season dump. Either works.  Cold/icy and I’ll just wait till next year. 

I’ll let conditions decide but my preference would be wildcat or sugarloaf 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m trying to hit a weekend that warms up. Ideally sunny and 45 degrees. Get it to soften up. Yea powder would be ideal but that’s the second best conditions imo. I had 4 weekends available. The first two I passed because it looked cold/dry. I won’t do that. I have 2 options left. Last week of March and first of April. Hopefully one of them is either warm or a late season dump. Either works.  Cold/icy and I’ll just wait till next year. 

I’ll let conditions decide but my preference would be wildcat or sugarloaf 

You might want to hit Wildcat this weekend, especially if they get a storm Thursday and Friday. 

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

You would think eventually some people would run out of stupid!!!

If you're going to do a New England ski trip, then this weekend is probably your best shot. Depending on the storm track, someone is going to get buried on Friday into Saturday.

13 hours ago, Fozz said:

If you're going to do a New England ski trip, then this weekend is probably your best shot. Depending on the storm track, someone is going to get buried on Friday into Saturday.

I know but I can't.  Family obligations.  I had literally 5/6 weeks that I could go...and this one was the only one I can't...and so far 3 of the 5 are gone and this weekend was the ONLY one that the weather looked good for a ski trip.  I have 2 more shots...the next 2 weekends and if both suck I will be pretty upset that the only weekend out of 6 I couldn't go was the only one that snowed up there.  I don't need snow either... I will take warm also... just not cold/dry or rainy.  Warm/dry or snow are both fine.  

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know but I can't.  Family obligations.  I had literally 5/6 weeks that I could go...and this one was the only one I can't...and so far 3 of the 5 are gone and this weekend was the ONLY one that the weather looked good for a ski trip.  I have 2 more shots...the next 2 weekends and if both suck I will be pretty upset that the only weekend out of 6 I couldn't go was the only one that snowed up there.  I don't need snow either... I will take warm also... just not cold/dry or rainy.  Warm/dry or snow are both fine.  

I have to head back home by tomorrow so I understand the pain. I would’ve loved to stay longer but still, it was a really good trip.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:38 AM, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm not sure if it's local to my Giant, but the two slabs that I'm slow cooking in two crockpots now were $18 total. And it couldn't be easier. One is point cut and the other is flat cut.

IMG_0574.thumb.PNG.ab91c83fee6f5646dd601fda8aec65b8.PNG

Damn! I'm ravenous now!

You guys are about to get 2-3 inches of rain! I am frackin' jealous. I'd give a HECS to have just a bit of that rain down here in dryland lol

.HYDROLOGY...
Strong mid/upper height falls/PVA/jet divergence and low-level
moisture flux as well as elevated instability will contribute to
a widespread soaking moderately heavy rain, generally between
the Blue Ridge and I-95. Amounts of 1.5-2+ inches are likely
here, with isolated totals of 3 inches possible. Should these
higher totals be realized, especially within a 6-9 hour window,
minor flooding issues of small creeks, streams and urban areas
may result. The heaviest and steadiest rain looks to be between
6 AM and 3 PM Thursday. Most recently, the 21Z SREF (which had
previously had many members with lower QPF shifted further east)
has trended wetter, in line with the GFS/NAM/ECMWF. Therefore,
had the confidence to hoist a Flood Watch for the DC/Baltimore
metro areas for Thursday through Thursday evening. The steadiest
rainfall is expected Thursday morning through mid Thursday
afternoon, but residual runoff issues may persist into the
evening hours Thursday.

Winter of 2019-20 is going to be extremely snowy in DC.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, psuhoffman said:

You would think eventually some people would run out of stupid!!!

Aren't they alleged to be educated?  They must be founding members of the resurrected flat earth society.  Can't wait to hear what they come up with next.  Maybe they'll be touting the combination of a super moon at the Summer Solstice may fracture the flat plates and fragment the globe into space - I mean the flat earth.  Can't say globe anymore since the earth is flat.  (tic)   Would be a great SNL skit, although the resultant banter may be akin to Orson Wells' original radio broadcast of War of the Worlds...   

As a result of the Houston petrochemical fire, about 10 millions pounds of pollutants were released.  I am curious if that toxic cloud is being tracked in any way, and will it get washed out via rain at some point. I have no idea about elevation WRT rain fall, direction, density etc, but do know we don't want to inhale particulate matter consisting of burned xylene, naptha and pyrolysis.  And probably don't want it raining down on us in case we forget the umbrella.  If we can predict storms 7 days away, I think the fine weather folk can damn well predict where this thing goes. 

Here is the best info I could find - nothing more recent than yesterday

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/How-the-weather-impacts-the-chemical-fire-in-Deer-13699604.php

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic