Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

You know me Mappy. I go down with the ship. :D

Of course I have more leeway later in the season then those to my south and especially those in the cities. So I can somewhat realistically expect chances deep into March if not early April on occasion.

Oh I know. And I am sure if there is a good chance, I will follow with one eye closed (ha!) 

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I want to get back out to the Midwest SO BADLY but alas, no money or time. 

It takes time to prepare for tropical. That's really my jam. 

the storm out in the plains should be super fun to watch unfold. be sure to follow @weatherdak as he will post a ton of satellite imagery

• Thanks 1

I’d rate this winter a solid B pending our late month HECS. Can’t really rate it lower given that I’m at climo+, but about as low as I could rank such a winter. Lack of a flake between November 15 and January 11 brings it down. Even a couple small events in December would have probably brought this up to A-/A for me.

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm hopeful it's a nice spring. We only get a few weeks each spring and fall where climo is basically perfect for temperature and precipitation. I don't think we really like going from "winter" to summer, unless there's going to be some severe or tropical action on the table.  

I am tired of fast transitions. Be nice to enjoy low dews and refreshing temps for a bit. I mean, I always expect a freak'in humid and hot summer every year.  Keep those bugs at bay too.  

18 hours ago, GATECH said:

Winter is officially over, the last parking lot snow pile melted at work today, the neighbors finally took down their Christmas lights on Sunday, and the daffodils are in full bloom.  Game, set, match.  I give this winter a C.

What, not giving winter a C+ like Ralphie??  And neighbors still had Christmas lights up into March?  OK, I once saw a couple of guys carrying out a browned, old Christmas tree some years ago in *April*.  They must have seen my expression of disbelief, they actually seemed embarrassed and said "I know...sorry!" :lol:

• Like 1

this winter is a tough call.  i want to say B-, but if you take away the january event, this would probably a C-/D+ winter.  does the jan event really make this is a B-?  i don't think i can do it.  C+ seems appropriate when you add everything up (january event plus a few smaller ones minus not having any prolonged cold and too much rain).

C+ (like a 78/79 out of 100)

one more sizable snow would have placed this firmly into B+/B territory.  maybe we can still weasel our way into one more snowstorm.

what's more odd about this winter than anything was how average it was.  usually it's boom or bust.

Ended up right at average climo, which puts it above the median, arguing for a B or B-.  But only two "sled-able" events and the lack of snowcover argue for a C.  I'll join the chorus at a C+.

By the way, this pretty much kills off any argument that people have of whether they want to get to climo with a variety of smaller and medium events or one blockbuster.  Give me a 20" bomb and nothing else over this winter.

• Like 1

Apparently 2 big FA acquisitions by the Ravens today. So maybe there was a method to their madness after all.. other than just rebuilding/going with youth.

"Apparently" because its being reported that both players- former Saints RB Mark Ingram and Seahawks S Earl Thomas- have agreed to sign contracts.

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Ended up right at average climo, which puts it above the median, arguing for a B or B-.  But only two "sled-able" events and the lack of snowcover argue for a C.  I'll join the chorus at a C+.

By the way, this pretty much kills off any argument that people have of whether they want to get to climo with a variety of smaller and medium events or one blockbuster.  Give me a 20" bomb and nothing else over this winter.

I would gladly take a winter with several small to medium sized events. There were 2 problems with this winter in that regard for my area. It had one medium sized snow event(that under performed) and 2 light ones. everything else was less than an inch front end slop that was gone with the main rain event that followed (and I am still not close to climo). That leads to the other problem- the general character of the winter. Cutter city. Yeah many of our events are flawed, but rarely if ever this winter, in the short range, were we looking at a slam dunk widespread frozen event.

4 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

What, not giving winter a C+ like Ralphie??  And neighbors still had Christmas lights up into March?  OK, I once saw a couple of guys carrying out a browned, old Christmas tree some years ago in *April*.  They must have seen my expression of disbelief, they actually seemed embarrassed and said "I know...sorry!" :lol:

Like Ralphie, I want an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++....winter...like 2009-2010, but first we need a real - - - - - - - NAO.  I did see a Christmas tree on the curb this last Monday a block down, the shame, and I felt bad taking mine down on Jan 4.

54 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If it weren’t about 2,000 miles away I’d absolutely be in Denver right now for a chase. 

PaVhb7s.png

That right there is the SH!T.  Look at those pressures, it’s like black hole low, like a category 73 Hurricane, LOL....thought they adjusted for elevation, guess not....and I went to meteorology school in Greeley, CO, they must have covered that after I dropped out and went south.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GATECH said:

That right there is the SH!T.  Look at those pressures, it’s like black hole low, like a category 73 Hurricane, LOL....thought they adjusted for elevation, guess not....and I went to meteorology school in Greeley, CO, they must have covered that after I dropped out and went south.

I have been watching the coverage....so freaking jealous!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic