Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

15 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

You must be super dense. There are rules here, and he broke one. This is not difficult stuff. FFS.

Wanna talk politics, make political statements, be a hack, or troll? Go to PR. This is not the place. I hope that dude does go there to "talk politics". He is clearly a dimwit and will get his ass handed to him there.

In fairness no one is going to hand anyone their ass when it comes to politics. We are as divided as we have ever been politically. That is why I stay out of it. No one is changing anyone elses mind on any issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdamHLG said:

Uhhh. I may be fine now (in March) but I've busted 3 pipes over 10 years by not turning off exterior spigots and draining lines properly. The issue appears in spring when it thaws and then water is turned back on. But I think you are correct. Getting past deep freeze is likely the key and I'm probably fine now (well, I'll give it another week).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Depends on many things besides outside temps, like duration of below freezing temps, temp inside the wall the feedline is running, does it face the sun, etc. Not to mention the age and condition of the pipe itself.   I am sure you are safe once into March.  I usually wait to turn mine back on until I actually need to use them, but I am not usually washing my cars in March!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yoda said:

It had to happen sometime... I mean getting beat over and over again every time since 1994 in the playoffs... once in a while the other team finds some luck and gets a lucky win.

Let me know when you are back to back champs... or win 5 Stanley Cups

This is like bragging over how many times you had sex.  Doesn't matter.  Had sex.

Caps won a Stanley Cup.  they won it last year.  No one can take it away from them.  Ever.  The Pens didn't win last year. And no one can take that away from them either.  Kuzy FTMFW

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snow pack is for real my east coast friends

Came up early for first chair here this morning and waiting for lifts to start. 

This is the access road to Sunrise Lodge on the southern part of the mountain. 

118" depth reported at the base this morning. 

All 4,300 acres open today and should be fun time before a new storm rolls in this afternoon. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Re: "winterizing"

I've honestly never done anything to prepare for winter around here. It just doesn't seem worth it. Gas stays in the lawnmower, water doesn't get turned off, etc.

Anyone want to convince me that I really should be doing something to prep for winter?

At the very least you should turn off and empty your hose bibs.  Pretty easy to do and can potentially save you a huge mess if the pipes freeze/burst.  

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I've honestly never done anything to prepare for winter around here. It just doesn't seem worth it. Gas stays in the lawnmower, water doesn't get turned off, etc.

Anyone want to convince me that I really should be doing something to prep for winter?

I would just add a fuel stablizer to the mower . I have not fueled up the snow blower in 3 years.  So it sits nicely covered....waiting 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

This is like bragging over how many times you had sex.  Doesn't matter.  Had sex.

Caps won a Stanley Cup.  they won it last year.  No one can take it away from them.  Ever.  The Pens didn't win last year. And no one can take that away from them either.  Kuzy FTMFW

I was glad for OV to finally win a cup, so we could stop talking about the fact that he had never won one. Winning the cup happened by beating an expansion team in its inaugural season makes it lame

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I used to turn off the outside water spigots...and just got lazy about it for the past five years or so, since we typically only get a few sub-20 degree nights in any given "winter" in NoVA.

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness no one is going to hand anyone their ass when it comes to politics. We are as divided as we have ever been politically. That is why I stay out of it. No one is changing anyone elses mind on any issue.

Agreed. That wasn't my point tho. If you read his post/rant from the other day you would see what I was referring to. If you are going to attempt to debate in PR, you better have game. He clearly doesn't. I am sure he would get some white knight action from the hacks there though.

41 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

I was glad for OV to finally win a cup, so we could stop talking about the fact that he had never won one. Winning the cup happened by beating an expansion team in its inaugural season makes it lame

lol  bitter pens fan

2 hours ago, snownut said:

Snow pack is for real my east coast friends

Came up early for first chair here this morning and waiting for lifts to start. 

This is the access road to Sunrise Lodge on the southern part of the mountain. 

118" depth reported at the base this morning. 

All 4,300 acres open today and should be fun time before a new storm rolls in this afternoon. 

350114383_Sunriselodgeaccessroad-3-5-19.thumb.jpeg.294581ccd866963d4fc9a1fa06ed3ab6.jpeg

I remember seeing snowpack like that when I was going to school in Washington.  I loved to hit Stevens pass on the weekends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattie g said:

Nope. I dont even winterize out here at the beginning of winter. I MIGHT close off my hose bibs if they are calling for an extended period of very cold weather. But generally I dont even do that.

Cold blast in 96 got me when I was still living in Front Royal.  Not a phone call you want to get while at work.  "Hey, there is water shooting out of the wall in the basement!"  That basement wasnt heated at the time, though.  Since then, I am always mindful to cut the water off and drain the spigots.  Frankly, it should be code for all construction to include frost-proof spigots in this region.

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

This is exactly "what I do".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This is exactly "what I do".

I empty the gas from all my equipment and run them dry. It keeps the rubber fuel hoses from corroding. I also had a chainsaw that seize up from vapor lock once and wouldn't start, but that was before I knew about fuel stabilizers. That might be enough these days but I hate replacing those tiny hoses and fuel filters so I still run them dry at the end of the season. And I turn off the water. It's too easy not to do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I empty the gas from all my equipment and run them dry. It keeps the rubber fuel hoses from corroding. I also had a chainsaw that seize up from vapor lock once and wouldn't start, but that was before I knew about fuel stabilizers. That might be enough these days but I hate replacing those tiny hoses and fuel filters so I still run them dry at the end of the season. And I turn off the water. It's too easy not to do.

I have bigger things to worry about currently. No beer in the fridge. :o

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

Should drain the gas, or at least add fuel stabilizer.  Ethanol fuels separate due to absorbing ambient moisture, and the water sits at the bottom of the tank and is first ingested into the engine.  Gas also can go stale over time and become gummy and muck up the engine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I use my mower through mid December to mulch leaves, and it's back in service mid to late March, so never had a problem. I use my leaf blower pretty much year round. No issues there either. As for shutting off water to outside faucets, never been an issue for me. My crawlspace is isolated from outside air year round, and temp/humidity stays pretty constant. Cross ventilation is completely unnecessary and is terrible in the summer.

6 hours ago, mattie g said:

First winter back in the DC area and in my current townhouse (2013-2014), we had the pipe to the rear hose bib burst not once but twice, flooding our basement.  (Long story short -- rear shutoff was mislabeled.)  Inadequate insulation in our late-1980s construction, among other issues.  

On the plus side, we got an insurance-funded new basement floor and paint job.  On the minus side, our homeowner premium went up right away.  

18 hours ago, ravensrule said:

It’s ok i was born in Baltimore but I’m a Yankees fan. I have 27 rings. :facepalm:

I grew up in northeast Ohio and have witnessed the Indians lose two World Series Game 7s in extra innings in my lifetime.  1997 and 2016!!  That hurt.  I think 1997 was slightly worse because they had a 2-1 lead vs. the Marlins that year going into the bottom of the 9th inning of Game 7...Jose Mesa came in and blew the save allowing the tying run, and the Marlins then won in the 11th.  Then of course the Cubs won in 10 in 2016.  At least vs. the Cubs, they were facing a heavily favored opponent and Cleveland's pitching was already highly short-staffed through the post-season (their #2 and 3 starters were out due to injury)...they literally had nothing left and had overused their bullpen by Game 7.  Still convinced that if they had Carrasco (#2 starter) available, they'd have dispensed with the Cubs earlier in that series...but them's the breaks (literally...Carrasco's hand was broken at the end of the regular season on a line drive).

But hey...Cavs won the NBA championship in 2016 so at least there's that, haha!!!

42 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I grew up in northeast Ohio and have witnessed the Indians lose two World Series Game 7s in extra innings in my lifetime.  1997 and 2016!!  That hurt.  I think 1997 was slightly worse because they had a 2-1 lead vs. the Marlins that year going into the bottom of the 9th inning of Game 7...Jose Mesa came in and blew the save allowing the tying run, and the Marlins then won in the 11th.  Then of course the Cubs won in 10 in 2016.  At least vs. the Cubs, they were facing a heavily favored opponent and Cleveland's pitching was already highly short-staffed through the post-season (their #2 and 3 starters were out due to injury)...they literally had nothing left and had overused their bullpen by Game 7.  Still convinced that if they had Carrasco (#2 starter) available, they'd have dispensed with the Cubs earlier in that series...but them's the breaks (literally...Carrasco's hand was broken at the end of the regular season on a line drive).

But hey...Cavs won the NBA championship in 2016 so at least there's that, haha!!!

Being a Cleveland sports fan has to be the most brutal thing in the world. I feel for you. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Nope. I dont even winterize out here at the beginning of winter. I MIGHT close off my hose bibs if they are calling for an extended period of very cold weather. But generally I dont even do that.

Thanks. That’s how I feel, though maybe I’m playing with fire. Perhaps next year I’ll do it and see if it’s worth the time spent.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic