Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

20 minutes ago, snownut said:

affirmative... 4 years in and no turning back. Have had record March snow at my house the past 8 days more than 30" / past 3 days in an inversion with ice fog and constant flurries with temps mostly in the teens.  Mountains are sunny when this happens so fun to drive 15 minutes and be above the clouds.  

Took this photo from my driveway on 2-28-19 /  9000 - 10,300-foot peaks in the background. 

Summers are amazing here with low humidity and cool nights ( 40's lows common all summer ) hike a glacier, biking, golfing, float the river through town or do the ale trail to one of the 20 plus craft breweries here in town...   I do have extra bedrooms ;) 

Quinn-Creek-Loop-2-28-19.jpg

What are the summers like? Also is this the norm for winters there? I feel like I should know the answer to that but those pics are stunning!

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

yea, the january storm was pretty great actually here, but the lack of extended cold really just made it not feel like a true winter.  lots of precip...not enough cold when it counted...and to not have a legit nor'easter is pretty lame as well.  if you take out of the hype/expectations/overthinking, i'd say this was a slightly less than ideal winter, but not terrible.  we got snow, but just didn't really have a sustained stretch of what feels like winter.

I think if I was in the areas closer to DC that got 10+ inches from that one storm, probably the January one you're referring to, I'd give this winter a B. I only got 5 inches from that one though. 

1 hour ago, snownut said:

affirmative... 4 years in and no turning back. Have had record March snow at my house the past 8 days more than 30" / past 3 days in an inversion with ice fog and constant flurries with temps mostly in the teens.  Mountains are sunny when this happens so fun to drive 15 minutes and be above the clouds.  

Took this photo from my driveway on 2-28-19 /  9000 - 10,300-foot peaks in the background. 

Summers are amazing here with low humidity and cool nights ( 40's lows common all summer ) hike a glacier, biking, golfing, float the river through town or do the ale trail to one of the 20 plus craft breweries here in town...   I do have extra bedrooms ;) 

I am on the way.....

I was just having a conversation about times that forecasts have called for a lot of snow(10+ inches) and it's busted significantly and how that has seems to happen way more than the opposite. It does seem to be the case. 

1. Would you agree that significant busts happen way more than significant booms?

2. If so, why do you think that's the case? 

This conversation stemmed from NYC getting shafted by this last storm and then we were talking about that March storm from a few years ago when Cantore was in DC and we were supposed to get slammed but it was a 33 degree rainstorm. 

1 hour ago, snownut said:

I am so jealous.

this is a pretty random question but when do you think it's safe to turn the exterior water faucets back on without fear of busting a pipe? Another week or so? I guess I am assuming that just because the temperature dips to 30 or 28 I would still be pretty safe it's not the deep freeze of winter anymore. I am anxious to set up my power washer and spotless water system so I can start washing my cars again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Steve25 said:

What are the summers like? Also is this the norm for winters there? I feel like I should know the answer to that but those pics are stunning!

Summer is my favorite season here .  I do not have AC in my home. Afternoons can get damn hot but it is always bone dry so doesn't feel like the east. There are virtually no bugs here,. We don't even need screens in the windows.  Not exaggerating, it is extremely rare for summer mornings not to be in the low 50's and many nights in the 40's even if it was 90 the afternoon before.  The warmest summer night in 4 years since moving here was 62. 

Last summer was extremely dry with just trace of rain between June 19th and October.  We only get around 12" per year here in town and mostly as snow in November-February

This past week was a record snow for March here and now above average for the season. 

Through out whatever you google about Bend winter snow averages because it is not that much.  40" in town.  The key here is being 20 miles from the Cascades where the snows are nuts. First winter here was record warm and one of the lowest snow packs ever recorded at Mt Bachelor.  They still had over 250" and were open for skiing until May 15th.  A few years before I moved here Mt Bachelor had a season with over 700". Locals said the had to groom out areas to keep the chair lifts from dragging in the snow.    

My personal weather station & webcam: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KORBEND204#history 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

Good one. You mean like last year?.

It had to happen sometime... I mean getting beat over and over again every time since 1994 in the playoffs... once in a while the other team finds some luck and gets a lucky win.

Let me know when you are back to back champs... or win 5 Stanley Cups

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yoda said:

It had to happen sometime... I mean getting beat over and over again every time since 1994 in the playoffs... once in a while the other team finds some luck and gets a lucky win.

Baby steps

39 minutes ago, yoda said:

It’s ok i was born in Baltimore but I’m a Yankees fan. I have 27 rings. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

this is a pretty random question but when do you think it's safe to turn the exterior water faucets back on without fear of busting a pipe? Another week or so? I guess I am assuming that just because the temperature dips to 30 or 28 I would still be pretty safe it's not the deep freeze of winter anymore. I am anxious to set up my power washer and spotless water system so I can start washing my cars again.

I never turn off the exterior spigots - don’t even know how. You’re fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never turn off the exterior spigots - don’t even know how. You’re fine.
Uhhh. I may be fine now (in March) but I've busted 3 pipes over 10 years by not turning off exterior spigots and draining lines properly. The issue appears in spring when it thaws and then water is turned back on. But I think you are correct. Getting past deep freeze is likely the key and I'm probably fine now (well, I'll give it another week).

14 hours ago, T. August said:

I think his point is it’s sort of a ridiculous rule. As long as the handle isn’t offensive, it should be allowed.

I’m going to change mine to “TaxesUp1%Down”. It’s clearly political but not offensive.

you should, so Randy can tell you to change it back. 

You all seem to forget that this isn't your board to do what you want with it. There are people who run it and set the rules. If you dont like the rules, you are free to post elsewhere. It's pretty simple. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic