Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

5 hours ago, H2O said:

I missed some stuff cause i was too busy out walking in the rain.  It was gorgeous!!  Have any of you ever gone walking in rain in 35F just for fun?  You all would be remiss not to.  It is the most lovely thing ever.  Almost super cooled moisture droplets cascading down and hitting my light parka like a mother licks her newborn to remove the afterbirth.  The chill from the cold damp air was akin to how a fawn shivers after leaving the womb.  I was one with nature.

When can we do this again?

Waterworld Jebwalking!

unpopular opinion...official snow totals are overrated.  too many other variables play into my mind how good of a winter we had.  any frozen ponds?  how long did the snow stick around?  how many of these systems piled up on a snowboard only to get washed away by rain after a flip?

14 and 15 were outstanding winters if you like cold/snow.  this was generally not ideal.  one storm saved it, but with all the precip we've had, it really almost felt like winter was just a really long, drawn out late autumn.  i'm gonna probably go B-/C+.  there were a few noteworthy events, but they were the exception to the rule.

winter isn't over yet, but i'm not sure any storm will change my mind too much at this point given that it's already march...unless we're talking '93 or a reverse '01.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Totally agree. It can’t just be an objective (snow totals only) score. How we experience it matters. 

Some heavily weigh holiday snow 

Some weigh snow cover over snow events

Some only chase big dogs

None of it is wrong, it’s just how we operate as different people in different locations. 

You forgot....some aren't batshit crazy

13 minutes ago, 87storms said:

unpopular opinion...official snow totals are overrated.  too many other variables play into my mind how good of a winter we had.  any frozen ponds?  how long did the snow stick around?  how many of these systems piled up on a snowboard only to get washed away by rain after a flip?

14 and 15 were outstanding winters if you like cold/snow.  this was generally not ideal.  one storm saved it, but with all the precip we've had, it really almost felt like winter was just a really long, drawn out late autumn.  i'm gonna probably go B-/C+.  there were a few noteworthy events, but they were the exception to the rule.

winter isn't over yet, but i'm not sure any storm will change my mind too much at this point given that it's already march...unless we're talking '93 or a reverse '01.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Totally agree. It can’t just be an objective (snow totals only) score. How we experience it matters. 

Some heavily weigh holiday snow 

Some weigh snow cover over snow events

Some only chase big dogs

None of it is wrong, it’s just how we operate as different people in different locations. 

Agree with what you both say.  It is subjective, for sure.  Obviously, there are some stand-out winters (02-03, 09-10, 13-14) that most everyone would put up as a top tier.  Like listing the best movies of all time.  But there are a lot of other variables for sure, and everyone has their own criteria.  Some have said that 15-16 was "meh" or worse, despite the historic blizzard, because much of that winter besides that storm had little to cheer about (certainly the record warm December sucked!).  Fair enough, I suppose.  But personally, that one week in January leading up to and through the blizzard "made it" for me.  And February wasn't totally awful...we got one decent event that was snow then ice around mid-month, and it wasn't a torch.  I've said this before, but I think 06-07 was pretty solid in my opinion, from about mid-January onward.  I actually liked that season for the most part even though it wasn't prolific with snow around metro DC.  Kind of a forgotten, underrated winter in some ways.  Extremely cold February, and though we just missed on the V-Day storm (getting sleet and ice instead), we still got a couple of nice events including that one.  Feb. 2015 was very similar in that regard, but we scored more snow.

I personally don't think we need a HECS to make it a great year.  We didn't really get one in 13-14 (unless you want to count the Feb. event as one, but not sure of that), but we had many moderate "MECS" type events and plenty of cold, which made it great because it was as close to a "door to door" winter as you'll see around here.  Even @Bob Chill I think said he was exhausted from tracking that year! :lol:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ChangeYourScreenname said:

#buildthewall 

Last I checked it's a free country and building a wall isn't political it's common fuxking sense. 

And btw it's free speech something that liberals dont believe in unless it's okay for them and them only.  Hence the label snowflakes.

Wanna change my screen name go ahead and change it to #dontbeabitch

It's pretty crazy to change someone's screen name because you dont like it but welcome to 2019. Its political if you make it political 

why does weather have to become political? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

1. You can't start a claim about what is political with something that is so blatantly tone def to current politics and expect to have any credibility.  

2. The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech"  That protects your freedom of expression from government persecution.  You cannot be jailed or punished legally for expressing your political opinions.  There is no government action here.   You have not been legally persecuted in any way.  Congress has passed no law.   Freedom of speech does not protect you from private consequences of your speech.  If you call your boss a moron you CAN be fired.  If you are a general a$$ hat all the time people will not like you.  When you say things that are socially unacceptable you can be shunned by society.  None of that has anything to do with the 1st Amendment.  

Did someone really make him change his screen name??

I don't support the wall, generally because it really will not be effective and there are much better/ common sense ways to solve these problems.

But I don't know if it is right to make him change his screen name.  I think we should just let people stand up for what they believe in unless they are offending someone else or outwardly injuring someone.  

Just having it as his screen name, although probably a poor decision, wasn't really hurting anyone. 

• Like 3

So, if we were to rate winters like best/worst movies of all time, how would one list the equivalence?  How's this for starters...?

Best:

2002-03:  Citizen Kane (Ji can cryptically blurt out "PD-II" instead of "Rosebud")

2009-10:  Casablanca ("HECS us Sam, HECS us again!")

2013-14:  Gone with the Wind ("With God as my witness, we'll never go snowless again!")

Worst:

2011-12:  Ishtar (OK, I never actually saw this one, but does it matter?!)

2001-02:  Plan 9 from Outer Space (now wait a minute, I kinda liked that movie in an MST 3000 kind of way, haha!)

2016-17:  Jurassic Park, the Lost World (2 hours of my life I cannot get back!)

3 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Some people actually got blitzed in 2006 from a storm in February. Not everyone got in on the goods though. Basically, an axis along 95 and 40 miles to the west got hammered and totals dwindled around the axis. It all melted in record time though. That was the storm that made me realize I wanted to be a meteorologist instead of a CPA (I loved both). Great storm. 

Yup...it was a good storm (the only one worthwhile that I recall from that winter!)...but definitely a gradient toward much better totals as you went west and north of the DC area, and especially up toward NYC as I recall.  Where I was at (Capitol Hill area in DC at the time), we got around 8".  And yeah, it was gone in a hurry, as it was in the 60s the following week!

17 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

So, if we were to rate winters like best/worst movies of all time, how would one list the equivalence?  How's this for starters...?

Best:

2002-03:  Citizen Kane (Ji can cryptically blurt out "PD-II" instead of "Rosebud")

2009-10:  Casablanca ("HECS us Sam, HECS us again!")

2013-14:  Gone with the Wind ("With God as my witness, we'll never go snowless again!")

Worst:

2011-12:  Ishtar (OK, I never actually saw this one, but does it matter?!)

2001-02:  Plan 9 from Outer Space (now wait a minute, I kinda liked that movie in an MST 3000 kind of way, haha!)

2016-17:  Jurassic Park, the Lost World (2 hours of my life I cannot get back!)

Anything is made bearable, nay spit-your-soda-through-your-nose funny, by viewing through the filter of MST3K...

3 hours ago, Fozz said:

Ever since I was 12, I’ve been told sarcastically to move to Alaska. But if that’s how you really feel about the warmer seasons, then Alaska may actually be a perfect fit for your preferences.

Sounds like me. I've looked up some things in Alaska and as much as people joke to me about moving there, it really might not be that crazy of a notion. People do live there lol. 

3 hours ago, snownut said:

One of the biggest reasons we moved from Virginia/ east coast.  No regrets, summer is now my favorite season.  Gotta take a big risk to move from the familiar but it is worth it. 

Where did you move, if you don't mind me asking? 

I do agree with the notion that winter can't just be judged on snow totals. For me, this winter was middle of the road. I had several small storms to track and I saw snow fall several times, and some little events over-performed. The lack of a pure snowstorm over 6 inches hurts my grade of this winter though. Also, the lack of a cold blast that lasts at least a week. As much as I love snow, I also love when it gets consistently cold enough to cause freezing of the bodies of water around here. I think that's so cool to see! Right now I'd grade it as a C. If we can get a surprise snowstorm at some point this month I could bump it up to a B but I highly doubt that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PDIII said:

I don't support the wall, generally because it really will not be effective and there are much better/ common sense ways to solve these problems.

But I don't know if it is right to make him change his screen name.  I think we should just let people stand up for what they believe in unless they are offending someone else or outwardly injuring someone.  

Just having it as his screen name, although probably a poor decision, wasn't really hurting anyone. 

You must be super dense. There are rules here, and he broke one. This is not difficult stuff. FFS.

Wanna talk politics, make political statements, be a hack, or troll? Go to PR. This is not the place. I hope that dude does go there to "talk politics". He is clearly a dimwit and will get his ass handed to him there.

1 hour ago, PDIII said:

Well said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PDIII said:

He can’t have that screen name because it’s an obvious political statement and I am not allowed to refute it on here. That would mean he gets to make his political point simply by using his name as a billboard and no one is allowed to refute him because of the ban on politics. The ban on politics is because this is a weather board not politics and some people get nasty and can’t behave themselves when it gets political.  So since the rest of us can’t comment about it he can’t make political statements with his name. The rules have to apply to everyone. That’s simple enough. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

You must be super dense. There are rules here, and he broke one. This is not difficult stuff. FFS.

Wanna talk politics, make political statements, be a hack, or troll? Go to PR. This is not the place. I hope that dude does go there to "talk politics". He is clearly a dimwit and will get his ass handed to him there.

I think his point is it’s sort of a ridiculous rule. As long as the handle isn’t offensive, it should be allowed.

I’m going to change mine to “TaxesUp1%Down”. It’s clearly political but not offensive.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, T. August said:

I think his point is it’s sort of a ridiculous rule. As long as the handle isn’t offensive, it should be allowed.

I’m going to change mine to “TaxesUp1%Down”. It’s clearly political but not offensive.

Rules is rules. "Offensive" is subjective.

He was clearly trolling and seeking attention. Why be intentionally contentious on a weather forum? Whats the point?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Rules is rules. "Offensive" is subjective.

He was clearly trolling and seeking attention. Why be intentionally contentious on a weather forum? Whats the point?

We’re wasting our time.  I think they simply don’t like the rule. Irony is I don’t love the rule either because I love to argue politics but I respect the rule because I respect the people that run this board AND I respect that if there are rules they should apply equally to everyone. That’s the point being lost here. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

He moved to Bend, Oregon. Lucky bastid

affirmative... 4 years in and no turning back. Have had record March snow at my house the past 8 days more than 30" / past 3 days in an inversion with ice fog and constant flurries with temps mostly in the teens.  Mountains are sunny when this happens so fun to drive 15 minutes and be above the clouds.  

Took this photo from my driveway on 2-28-19 /  9000 - 10,300-foot peaks in the background. 

Summers are amazing here with low humidity and cool nights ( 40's lows common all summer ) hike a glacier, biking, golfing, float the river through town or do the ale trail to one of the 20 plus craft breweries here in town...   I do have extra bedrooms ;) 

Quinn-Creek-Loop-2-28-19.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Steve25 said:

I do agree with the notion that winter can't just be judged on snow totals. For me, this winter was middle of the road. I had several small storms to track and I saw snow fall several times, and some little events over-performed. The lack of a pure snowstorm over 6 inches hurts my grade of this winter though. Also, the lack of a cold blast that lasts at least a week. As much as I love snow, I also love when it gets consistently cold enough to cause freezing of the bodies of water around here. I think that's so cool to see! Right now I'd grade it as a C. If we can get a surprise snowstorm at some point this month I could bump it up to a B but I highly doubt that. 

yea, the january storm was pretty great actually here, but the lack of extended cold really just made it not feel like a true winter.  lots of precip...not enough cold when it counted...and to not have a legit nor'easter is pretty lame as well.  if you take out the hype/expectations/overthinking, i'd say this was a slightly less than ideal winter, but not terrible.  we got snow, but just didn't really have a sustained stretch of what feels like winter.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic