Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter 2019

George BM

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have been in Spring mode for at least a week now. I officially ended my winter yesterday. For the first time in the history of these boards, I beckoned the reaper. He did not disappoint.

I'm 100% with you. I put a deposit on a new travel trailer 2 weeks ago. Been planning this purchase for at least 5 years... I'm not taking delivery until winter releases its grip. Needless to say... it can't come soon enough. I'm ready to travel and relax wearing shorts and flip flops. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm 100% with you. I put a deposit on a new travel trailer 2 weeks ago. Been planning this purchase for at least 5 years... I'm not taking delivery until winter releases its grip. Needless to say... it can't come soon enough. I'm ready to travel and relax wearing shorts and flip flops. 

What did you pick up?

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have been in Spring mode for at least a week now. I officially ended my winter yesterday. For the first time in the history of these boards, I beckoned the reaper. He did not disappoint.

Good to see that I'm in good company.  I rode off into the sunset yesterday.  I'm glad this misery is finally over.   Only 9 more months until a new beginning!

Not sure what the numbers will say in the end, but this winter has seemed cold, and dreary. Just not cold enough when it was needed. The number of events with 32-35 degree rain was remarkable. Maybe it has happened before, but nothing that I can recall while living here. Underscores what we both know- a legit -AO and at least periodic episodes with a -NAO are critical for snowstorms for the metros and points S and E. There are other ways, and ofc flukes happen, just none in my yard this winter, lol.

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Good to see that I'm in good company.  I rode off into the sunset yesterday.  I'm glad this misery is finally over.   Only 9 more months until a new beginning!

One thing about summer- there is never much suspense about what we are gonna get. It will be long, and it will be hot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Why didn’t we plan a gtg for today to celebrate the rain?  

This storm marks the transition from winter to spring so it should be spent with friends and galoshes 

The rain should definitely be a bit warmer. Hopefully after the C&D period that follows, the next event will feature mild rain instead of cold rain.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. We gettin' there.

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

Why didn’t we plan a gtg for today to celebrate the rain?  

This storm marks the transition from winter to spring so it should be spent with friends and galoshes 

We can plan one for this cause you know now it will verify.....

0A2CC6FB-EB71-42C0-B3D8-BE291626DDCB.png

29 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

What did you pick up?

Winnebago 2455bhs. Had to get a bunk model to accommodate kids. Once my teen kids are on their own we're going to trade up for a 5th wheel and diesel tow vehicle. The 2455 is the largest trailer I feel comfortable towing with my half ton Ram. We looked at a lot of trailers and bang for the buck/quality, nothing came close to Winnebago. Made the final decision much easier than I first thought.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

WORSHIP your cold rain because it's the only cold rain you will get today. I'm expecting cold rain and warm snow in my yard but our mud will be the same color in the end. Warm rain can't possibly come soon enough though. Time to embrace spring. 

i'm ready for a prolonged period of 70s and sun at this point, so we can dry up these mtb trails.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not sure what the numbers will say in the end, but this winter has seemed cold, and dreary. Just not cold enough when it was needed. The number of events with 32-35 degree rain was remarkable. Maybe it has happened before, but nothing that I can recall while living here. Underscores what we both know- a legit -AO and at least periodic episodes with a -NAO are critical for snowstorms for the metros and points S and E. There are other ways, and ofc flukes happen, just none in my yard this winter, lol.

This winter goes down as a relatively bad one for me, even if I’m right around climo total for the season. Way too much rain, way too many cloudy days, way too much suck in between the occasional event.

Add that to the positive vibes leading in and the long-range looks we had, and I certainly won’t be looking back fondly on this winter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This winter goes down as a relatively bad one for me, even if I’m right around climo total for the season. Way too much rain, way too many cloudy days, way too much suck in between the occasional event.

Add that to the positive vibes leading in and the long-range looks we had, and I certainly won’t be looking back fondly on this winter.

100% agree with this. I wont likely be near climo, unless there is a pretty big fluke snow event in the offing. Even then, it wouldn't change my "grade" for this winter. Not very enjoyable (the weather part).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Winnebago 2455bhs. Had to get a bunk model to accommodate kids. Once my teen kids are on their own we're going to trade up for a 5th wheel and diesel tow vehicle. The 2455 is the largest trailer I feel comfortable towing with my half ton Ram. We looked at a lot of trailers and bang for the buck/quality, nothing came close to Winnebago. Made the final decision much easier than I first thought.  

Nice looking setup. I know some of the units we saw at the RV shows recently had bunks that folded away so they could converted into storage or pet space. Think one actually could be converted into a small dining area. Understand about the towing. We are pretty limited with our truck as well where I wanted to keep the gross under 5500-6000 lbs. And last year when we decided we wanted a trailer with more living space we were also looking at buying a new truck as well to accommodate the extra weight. Needless to say we were talking about laying out a good deal of money. And when I considered I never really felt comfortable with hauling 19-24 ft trailers let alone a bigger one we decided to move in a different direction. Ended up going with a destination trailer where you basically take it to a site and leave it. And to be honest we love it. None of the hassle of packing and unpacking on every trip and now we have 38 ft of living space and a patio door that steps down to a deck. Makes for a quick and spontaneous trip when ever we feel like it.

8 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Spring can't come fast enough

My temp is down to 39 from 44. Might manage a few wet flakes later before the 850s go above freezing.

I mean, this is a totally new way for us to fail here this winter- precip comes in early for once, and comes down pretty hard, but surface temps are too warm and it rains. By the time the column cools enough for a few flakes to to make it down to the ground, the mid levels warm, and back to rain we go! Damn we suck this winter.

44 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Nice looking setup. I know some of the units we saw at the RV shows recently had bunks that folded away so they could converted into storage or pet space. Think one actually could be converted into a small dining area. Understand about the towing. We are pretty limited with our truck as well where I wanted to keep the gross under 5500-6000 lbs. And last year when we decided we wanted a trailer with more living space we were also looking at buying a new truck as well to accommodate the extra weight. Needless to say we were talking about laying out a good deal of money. And when I considered I never really felt comfortable with hauling 19-24 ft trailers let alone a bigger one we decided to move in a different direction. Ended up going with a destination trailer where you basically take it to a site and leave it. And to be honest we love it. None of the hassle of packing and unpacking on every trip and now we have 38 ft of living space and a patio door that steps down to a deck. Makes for a quick and spontaneous trip when ever we feel like it.

What did you tow with? My ram has 10k max but payload is always the limiting factor with half tons. It's not mathematically possible to tow a 10k lb travel trailer with a half ton because of tongue weight. 7k gvwr is the heaviest I'll tow with my truck. Plenty of capacity margin. 25' box is my personal max for the wheelbase of my truck. I've towed with the tail wagging the dog before. Unnerving to put it lightly... lol

We're planning a 6 week trip out west next summer. Northern route to Wyoming then south to the Grand Canyon and southern route back home. When we sell our house in 8 years or so my wife and I want to full time for a year in an RV then settle somewhere. Not sure where yet but it won't be anywhere near DC metro. I've grown to hate living here. Great schools and jobs but it kinda ends there. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

What did you tow with? My ram has 10k max but payload is always the limiting factor with half tons. It's not mathematically possible to tow a 10k lb travel trailer with a half ton because of tongue weight. 7k gvwr is the heaviest I'll tow with my truck. Plenty of capacity margin. 25' box is my personal max for the wheelbase of my truck. I've towed with the tail wagging the dog before. Unnerving to put it lightly... lol

We're planning a 6 week trip out west next summer. Northern route to Wyoming then south to the Grand Canyon and southern route back home. When we sell our house in 8 years or so my wife and I want to full time for a year in an RV then settle somewhere. Not sure where yet but it won't be anywhere near DC metro. I've grown to hate living here. Great schools and jobs but it kinda ends there. 

F 150. Don't remember the exact towing capacity anymore, maybe 7500? Never like pushing the limit when it comes to safety so I decided to give myself some cushion. But even towing our last trailer, think that came in a touch under 6000 gross, was a battle sometimes. As I said before, never really felt comfortable towing to begin with but I think the last straw was when we broke down on the 81 bridge heading to Harrisburg. Coming down the hill onto the bridge lost all power to the truck as we had an electrical short. Scared the hell out of me as it was like trying to steer and stop a whale coming down that hill. Finally was able to stop in the middle of the bridge but we were sticking a good 4-5 ft out into the traffic. Spent an hour there with traffic flying by us doing 65-70 and many cars veering at the last second to avoid hitting us. The piece de resistance was when a tractor trailer didn't notice us until the last second, slammed on his brakes and then fishtailed as he tried to get into the other lane. Luckily he goosed the semi at the last second and was able to pop the trailer back somewhat in line though it was jumping from one set of wheels to the other as he passed. Needless to say after that experience I was pretty much put off on towing.

You should love that trip. Country is absolutely gorgeous. Try to get into Utah as well as there is some spectacular drive-able views especially towards the Grand Canyon. Zion National Park comes specifically to mind. Wife and I have also talked about a similar trip (month or two) in a few years. But I think we will probably just rent an RV for that. 

Grew up and lived most of my life in MD. The changes I have seen the last 20-30 years though have been mind blowing and one of the reasons we moved into southern PA going on 15 years now. And I don't regret a minute of our decision to make that move. But all that build up and congestion is now occurring here in Hanover so we are looking to move once again to get away from it. Of course snow will play a big factor on where we eventually move. :) 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic