Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well. I’m back in Midland I am now certified to issue warnings for the National Weather Service! I am so stoked and extremely exhausted after driving 415 miles today and enduring a realllllly long, tumultuous week of simulations.

Congrats!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Well. I’m back in Midland I am now certified to issue warnings for the National Weather Service! I am so stoked and extremely exhausted after driving 415 miles today and enduring a realllllly long, tumultuous week of simulations.

So now we can put a face to the guy who does or doesn't issue our watches or warnings as some of our expert weenies on these boards feel they should be done? Good to know. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Going to Aspen second week of April.  Not sure what to expect on the slopes.  Any advice?   

Spring skiing in CO can be amazing. It can still snow big in April but what makes the season special is "corn snow". The freeze thaw cycle creates a soft surface that me and my friends used to call hero snow. Great edge control but nice and soft so you can attack it. Aspen's base is pretty low so the lower mountain can get too soft in the afternoons. We called it mashed potatoes.

Time of day and aspect is important. Spring corn is best right after the sun softens the corn. Start with south and east aspects early and move towards northerly aspects late. This is good advice because there's another type of snow in the spring we used to call broken glass. Cold nights and warm days create a crunchy sharp surface until the sun can do its thing. Broken glass conditions are still far better than eastern bulletproof ice. Just don't wreck with a tshirt on. Lol

Northerly aspects at high elevation can still be mid winter conditions too so you can still find nice dry powder or packed powder above 11k feet in April. It's not uncommon to get a sig snowfall in april and ski true deep powder. Just find aspects that dont have broken glass underneath (usually southerly). Powder over broken glass is terrible. 

The short story is April will have variable conditions every day and even hourly throughout a day. Explore the mountain and find the right surface then ski the crap out of it. March and April were my favorite months when i lived there. Deepest base of the year and greatly reduced avalanche conditions in the backcountry and hero snow inbounds.  Good god I loved the Rockies...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Spring skiing in CO can be amazing. It can still snow big in April but what makes the season special is "corn snow". The freeze thaw cycle creates a soft surface that me and my friends used to call hero snow. Great edge control but nice and soft so you can attack it. Aspen's base is pretty low so the lower mountain can get too soft in the afternoons. We called it mashed potatoes.

Time of day and aspect is important. Spring corn is best right after the sun softens the corn. Start with south and east aspects early and move towards northerly aspects late. This is good advice because there's another type of snow in the spring we used to call broken glass. Cold nights and warm days create a crunchy sharp surface until the sun can do its thing. Broken glass conditions are still far better than eastern bulletproof ice. Just don't wreck with a tshirt on. Lol

Northerly aspects at high elevation can still be mid winter conditions too so you can still find nice dry powder or packed powder above 11k feet in April. It's not uncommon to get a sig snowfall in april and ski true deep powder. Just find aspects that dont have broken glass underneath (usually southerly). Powder over broken glass is terrible. 

The short story is April will have variable conditions every day and even hourly throughout a day. Explore the mountain and find the right surface then ski the crap out of it. March and April were my favorite months when i lived there. Deepest base of the year and greatly reduced avalanche conditions in the backcountry and hero snow inbounds.  Good god I loved the Rockies...

I'm jealous as all heck now.

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Awesome congrats!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clueless said:

Going to Aspen second week of April.  Not sure what to expect on the slopes.  Any advice?   

Everything Bob said is 100% spot on. I was there a week in early April 2009. Was an amazing mix of a couple powder days after a 18” dump and then spring skiing as it warmed up. 

Only thing I’ll add is if you do get a dump while there you might want to head over to snowmass the day after and hang out in the alpine area up by the cirque or the hanging valley. Those areas can hold soft powder longer than anything at aspen mountain. If your at aspen mountain during a dump then hang out in the glades if you like tree skiing. 

If it’s been a while since snow then you might want to stay on piste and enjoy the corn snow on the cruisers. 

I would definitely spend a couple days at snowmass if your there a week.  Aspen is a great mountain but snowmass has more variety imo and they are both on the same ticket so you can do interchangeable days.  

have fun!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Great write up. I miss Colorado so much. Used to go 1-2 times a year. Haven’t been since my son was born. Once the kids are old enough I can’t wait to get out there again. 

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

It was mostly embarrassingly bad input this year but thank you. 

Psu your analysis and input since i started looking at this board 3 months ago has been awesome. In my first 2 days on here i quickly realized you really knew your stuff.  I’ve learned a ton already. Let’s make this next winter a great one

Anyone here know a good concrete/stone contractor that won't rob me blind? I need to get a retaining wall replaced. It's 75-100' long and about 3' tall at its highest point and just 1' tall at its lowest (gentle slope). I'm only going to live in this house for 8 more years tops. Don't need high end natural stone. Interlocking block construction is prob the way to go. I also want to get my patio replaced with stamped concrete instead of the crappy flagstone there now.

I always dread dealing with random contractors and estimates... I have friends in every field except masonry. I asked my circle and oddly nobody knew a good masonry contractor. Maybe a weather forum can help me out? Lol. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Thanks Bob!  I knew you would have a good idea of what to expect.  They’ve had a good year so far, so I think it will be an excellent time.  

30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Everything Bob said is 100% spot on. I was there a week in early April 2009. Was an amazing mix of a couple powder days after a 18” dump and then spring skiing as it warmed up. 

Only thing I’ll add is if you do get a dump while there you might want to head over to snowmass the day after and hang out in the alpine area up by the cirque or the hanging valley. Those areas can hold soft powder longer than anything at aspen mountain. If your at aspen mountain during a dump then hang out in the glades if you like tree skiing. 

If it’s been a while since snow then you might want to stay on piste and enjoy the corn snow on the cruisers. 

I would definitely spend a couple days at snowmass if your there a week.  Aspen is a great mountain but snowmass has more variety imo and they are both on the same ticket so you can do interchangeable days.  

have fun!!!

I was thinking that Snowmass would be best for variety.  We will see what the weather gods have in store for us.  I’m super excited!

3 hours ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Psu your analysis and input since i started looking at this board 3 months ago has been awesome. In my first 2 days on here i quickly realized you really knew your stuff.  I’ve learned a ton already. Let’s make this next winter a great one

Thanks. I’m glad some get something out of my ramblings. 

9 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Had a very nice day today. Woke early to take our youngest daughter and her friend down to attend a STEM program at the Naval Academy. Then decided to drive down to Calvert Cliffs. Have never been there. Had our oldest with us. While cool the hike to the beach was so nice. 

A3D9DFBC-503B-4EAD-B0A2-7364AB835005.jpeg

Been down to Solomons quite a few times in the last 15 years with my wife and/or her family both camping and staying in the cabins at the Naval Rec center. One of the things I tried to make a point of doing was to take that hike down to the beach at Calvert Cliffs. Was always enjoyable walking through the trees then beside the marsh and finally to the beach where I would always hunt for fossils. You really need to do it doing the summer though because it is much more enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I think my yard is perfectly positioned for some heavy, 35 degree rain. I am thankful the rain will be warmer than it has been. Spring must be near.

WORSHIP your cold rain because it's the only cold rain you will get today. I'm expecting cold rain and warm snow in my yard but our mud will be the same color in the end. Warm rain can't possibly come soon enough though. Time to embrace spring. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

WORSHIP your cold rain because it's the only cold rain you will get today. I'm expecting cold rain and warm snow in my yard but our mud will be the same color in the end. Warm rain can't possibly come soon enough though. Time to embrace spring. 

I have been in Spring mode for at least a week now. I officially ended my winter yesterday. For the first time in the history of these boards, I beckoned the reaper. He did not disappoint.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic