• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2019

George BM

This is probably better for banter. There’s so much crosstalk on various threats in short term, is this where we are:

1. Event one happening now for some of the area

2. A chance at something tonight for maybe north and west areas or maybe into the beltways even ? Something frozen? From a late coastal whose development might help or hurt...

3. A chance at snow Sunday night into Monday? Better chances north and west of beltways?

is that the current state of play?

27 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

This is probably better for banter. There’s so much crosstalk on various threats in short term, is this where we are:

2. A chance at something tonight for maybe north and west areas or maybe into the beltways even ? Something frozen? From a late coastal whose development might help or hurt...

3. A chance at snow Sunday night into Monday? Better chances north and west of beltways?

No idea. I am too busy getting my camper ready for Spring. :D

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yup, sounds about right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

You forgot the 

4. A chance for CHO to not get in on any event

5. A chance for us to be told where the HP in NY needs to be and how strong to get snow.

6. A chance for roads to get brined in between storms

7. An all but certain chance for Ji to say is all going to shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I thought it was June 15th as the last absolute possible day? i of course trust your knowledge as a teacher...

You're talking about the governor's order that mandates school ends by June 15th, right?  The answer is supposed to be yes, but last year they made some changes because so many districts complained that it was impossible to fit 180 school days between Labor Day and June 15th, especially if there are snow days (which is bs in my opinion, but that's another story). So, now districts have to schedule between Labor Day and June 15th, but snow days can force beyond the 15th.

This all may be moot because there's already a bill that allows school districts to make their own schedules again, but Hogan says he would repeal it and force the general public to vote on it.  From what I've read, the general public supports a post-Labor Day start.

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You're talking about the governor's order that mandates school ends by June 15th, right?  The answer is supposed to be yes, but last year they made some changes because so many districts complained that it was impossible to fit 180 school days between Labor Day and June 15th, especially if there are snow days (which is bs in my opinion, but that's another story). So, now districts have to schedule between Labor Day and June 15th, but snow days can force beyond the 15th.

This all may be moot because there's already a bill that allows school districts to make their own schedules again, but Hogan says he would repeal it and force the general public to vote on it.  From what I've read, the general public supports a post-Labor Day start.

yes, I was talking about Hogans mandate. Guess I never paid much attention until this year when my kid is actually impacted by it (go figure). I didn't mind the post labor day start, but will feel for her and the rest of the kids if they are in school until 6/21. 

30 minutes ago, mappy said:

yes, I was talking about Hogans mandate. Guess I never paid much attention until this year when my kid is actually impacted by it (go figure). I didn't mind the post labor day start, but will feel for her and the rest of the kids if they are in school until 6/21. 

I kind of get the Jun. 15 mandate, in a way, so that in the event of makeup snow days there won't be classes until late into June.  But that also has resulted (in MoCo at least, where my daughter is in high school) in a dramatically shortened spring break this year.  It's not even a week long, and I think they might cut one day out to make up a snow day (since MoCo has gone over their limit this year, I believe).  Maybe they can get rid of some of the miscellaneous days off or teacher days, etc., and re-work other breaks, I don't know.  I also don't mind a post-Labor Day start in general, but perhaps if they begin the year with the last *full* week of August before Labor Day, that would help.  I know in the past they used to start like that Thurs. before Labor Day, then a 3 day weekend before you were barely into classes, which seemed kind of useless.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I kind of get the Jun. 15 mandate, in a way, so that in the event of makeup snow days there won't be classes until late into June.  But that also has resulted (in MoCo at least, where my daughter is in high school) in a dramatically shortened spring break this year.  It's not even a week long, and I think they might cut one day out to make up a snow day (since MoCo has gone over their limit this year, I believe).  Maybe they can get rid of some of the miscellaneous days off or teacher days, etc., and re-work other breaks, I don't know.  I also don't mind a post-Labor Day start in general, but perhaps if they begin the year with the last *full* week of August before Labor Day, that would help.  I know in the past they used to start like that Thurs. before Labor Day, then a 3 day weekend before you were barely into classes, which seemed kind of useless.

You have the same crappy break that we do up here in Fred Co. And they have dramatically cut back on teacher work days. We have 8 snow days this year. We have used 6. We wanted to plan a vacation to SD and just decided to plan to leave on June 22nd, as I really think these kids will be in until the 21st. People in Fred Co wanted the post Labor Day start but don't take away Fair Day or the day before Thanksgiving. Something had to give this year and for the first time since my kids have been in school they were in school the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I am not a fan of the after Labor Day start as we have no family in MD and used to use the full Spring Break to travel. We have been trying to work out flying down this year but with the lack of dates and it being over Easter tickets for 4 are expensive. If we had the full week we would drive. 

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

You have the same crappy break that we do up here in Fred Co. And they have dramatically cut back on teacher work days. We have 8 snow days this year. We have used 6. We wanted to plan a vacation to SD and just decided to plan to leave on June 22nd, as I really think these kids will be in until the 21st. People in Fred Co wanted the post Labor Day start but don't take away Fair Day or the day before Thanksgiving. Something had to give this year and for the first time since my kids have been in school they were in school the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I am not a fan of the after Labor Day start as we have no family in MD and used to use the full Spring Break to travel. We have been trying to work out flying down this year but with the lack of dates and it being over Easter tickets for 4 are expensive. If we had the full week we would drive. 

Yup, I hear you.  The spring break this year is kind of strange with how short it is, but I think they're changing it back next year (not sure?) in MoCo.  Also found it odd that they might cut one of the spring break days out as a make-up day.  I'm not going anywhere myself, but I know several people make plans well in advance for both Winter and Spring breaks...flights, hotel, etc.  So tacking on an extra day of school in a vacation like that is going to cause problems.  Like I said, I wouldn't mind if they go back to starting before Labor Day...*if* they do an entire week or so before rather than literally 2 weekdays then a 3 day weekend like they used to do.

30 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yup, I hear you.  The spring break this year is kind of strange with how short it is, but I think they're changing it back next year (not sure?) in MoCo.  Also found it odd that they might cut one of the spring break days out as a make-up day.  I'm not going anywhere myself, but I know several people make plans well in advance for both Winter and Spring breaks...flights, hotel, etc.  So tacking on an extra day of school in a vacation like that is going to cause problems.  Like I said, I wouldn't mind if they go back to starting before Labor Day...*if* they do an entire week or so before rather than literally 2 weekdays then a 3 day weekend like they used to do.

Kids here in Calvert have no spring break and they took away President's Day this year to use as a snow make-up day. Won't get into politics but as a parent whose child is enrolled in school, I am definitely not a fan of the "Hogan schedule".

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic