Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

13 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Wow at the number of tornado warnings  in Georgia  right now... thinking my 4 inch call for here is going up in flames. WE SNOW!!

No kidding, wow!

Large-scale, major tornados confirmed on the ground. Never a bad thing for a snowstorm up here when you have a line of severe weather like that in the South. Hopefully everyone takes the warning seriously and is safe 

This thing is on steroids!

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Me thinks a lot of cancellations will be rolling in over the next few hours. Most places haven’t even had a day yet... I’m sure that’ll factor in.

Yeah, I am hoping for just a delay here because we have already had three snow days but if we hit 6 inches here, which is certainly possible then school is off. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that there is a convective outbreak in the interior SE and suddenly PHL and BOS are well over an inch QPF out of 'now-cast where' on this NAM run... There's got to be a diabatic help/assist in the down stream ridge, helping to bump this thing farther W.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that there is a convective outbreak in the interior SE and suddenly PHL and BOS are well over an inch QPF out of 'now-cast where' on this NAM run... There's got to be a diabatic help/assist in the down stream ridge, helping to bump this thing farther W.

The rain line is further north on the RGEM.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mine is probably 12/23/97....1-3" forecast and we got 18". 12/11-12/92 was really bad too....the big storm part was forecast well but they thought mostly rain...3-6" was forecast and we got almost 3 feet. Lol. 

The 2/7/03 storm I recall had advisories out for like 3-5/4-6 and a stripe just south of BOS back into RI had 12-18" of fluff. BOS itself was maybe just under a foot. If we were to get a positive bust in this storm, it would likely be of the fluff bomb variety like that '03 storm rather than a sheer QPF bust...someone goes 18 to 1 ratios in a band at 28-30F at 3"/hr or something for a while. 

Doubt I'll ever have a bust better than April 1982.  Late evening on 4/6, CAR added flurries to its cloudy, cold, windy forecast; the storm pounding NYC to BOS progged for OTS.  Less than 3 hours later we had SN+.  My total in Ft. Kent was a massively windblown (thus near impossible to measure) 17" - a driveway drift left our black Chevette with about 20 square inches showing.  CAR recorded 26.3", at the time their biggest snowfall ever, though it's been bumped to 3rd by the March 1984 dump and the post-Christmas stalled system of 2005. 

Tomorrow's event - maybe 3", barely avoiding 3 whiffs in 4 days.  However, looks like our snowpack stays tall well into next week, maybe beyond.

3 hours ago, wxsniss said:

The signs of a coastal front I posted from GFS earlier... not much on Euro, this thing is moving quickly

I suspect many meso-scale enhancement features won't have long residence time. This looks like a quick wide hit.

Yea, I didn't really hit on the cf, which is a fetish of mine....but its moving so fast, dnt think its a big deal.