Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

8 minutes ago, Snugharbor said:

Can someone help me with numbers for immediate coastal RI? Have looked at models with a definite mix and rain, others with 3-6. Is this a nowcasting situation for here based on where ptype sets up? Trying to figure out when my wife has to go into work...

Could be quite the gradient over RI and I don't think anyone could give you a definitive answer.  NWS has no snow out on Block Island to 8" plus in the north part of the state.  It will come down to nowcasting overnight.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Absolutely agreed. I do kick myself when these things happen, but I enjoy the learning aspect and try to use this for future reference.  I guess that's why I over-analyze at times. What Will explained to me earlier made 100% sense. It's knowledge like that which I lack and that is something I wish we would have learned more in school...even with map discussions or whatever. 

That’s just the structured school system. You have the passion and the talent. Everyone knows this isn’t an easy science to figure out. 

13 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Still hitting the brakes hard on many places being 12+ with the speed of the storm. 

I understand the apprehension ... for speed of system translation and so forth ...?

However, I can remember many (actually) times when I've cleared a foot at my location from exceptionally heavy fall rates... on the order of 3 or 4"/hr for just 4 hours... 

a couple pops in 2015

and I think there was one, two winters ago, but I'm currently groggy with turkey sammich lunch and need a coffee...

the point is, it can snow prodigiously in short order given sufficient mechanical forcing and given to the list above and probably I'm missing a few, it's now as rare as we think to get "thunderstorm in snow fall rares" type stuff to happen. It just obviously not as common. 

I'm just keeping that in mind when I'm tempted to sell on fast accumulation ideas -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I understand the apprehension ... for speed of system translation and so forth ...?

However, I can remember many (actually) times when I've cleared a foot at my location from exceptionally heavy fall rates... on the order of 3 or 4"/hr for just 4 hours... 

a couple pops in 2015

and I think there was one, two winters ago, but I'm currently groggy with turkey sammich lunch and need a coffee...

the point is, it can snow prodigiously in short order given sufficient mechanical forcing and given to the list above and probably I'm missing a few, it's now as rare as we think to get "thunderstorm in snow fall rares" type stuff to happen. It just obviously not as common. 

I'm just keeping that in mind when I'm tempted to sell on fast accumulation ideas -

2/9/17. Fast mover intense Delmarva cyclogensis (kind of a NJ model on 'roids moving very quickly) that was really a 7-8 hour storm but it dumped widespread 10-16". Midlevels in that one looked better and more developed, but the frontogenesis in this one isn't that dissimilar...you noted previously how this thing is just getting crunched in that sloped manner back to 300mb on the northwest flank...prob gonna see some 2-3"/hr streamers imbedded in that solid shield of 1"/hr rates. 

14 minutes ago, SnowBrosForever said:

Those are some of the issues, and they are valid. But there are others. too. Our son attended schools in Arlington, VA and Washington DC, from '95-'08. (Granted, this is a different part of the universe.) Schools were closed in Arlington because they just don't have the plowing equipment. Another sad fact, although I don't know how much of a factor it (according to the principal), was but many immigrant families could not afford proper winter clothes - boots, jackets or mittens for the kids. When our kid was in a high school in DC, the school aligned itself with whatever Montgomery County Md. did, because that's where the largest number of kids came from. At one point. the HS had been closed for 2-3 days because of an ice storm, but most roads were clear, so I convinced the principal to NOT to cancel the Friday night ski trip. 

Yeah....I was being half serious ... sort of wantonly tongue and cheek cynical, too - I love sordid humor. It's among my favorite forms of muse - and gets me into trouble around here, too ;)

When I said I wondered whether other regions around the country rejoice in it? Mm that was obviously sarcasm ... But, I guess now that we thinking about it, the Lakes out through the northern plains/Missouri Valley ... all these regions have local standards that vary ... They have to. Demographics are not ubiquitous. The "culture" of how each region handles matters is rooted in that, and different climate... it's a lot to consider.  Plus, you just have a lower asshole quotient outside of New England ... ha. 

Anyway, obviously you and I know 4" in DC doesn't mean the same thing as 4" in Vermont.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Tiger where are you located?

Right in Arlington MA, near sommerville and Lexington and around 10 miles from Boston to the NW. Pretty close to the Jack zone for this storm hence why I've been posting so often

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2/9/17. Fast mover intense Delmarva cyclogensis (kind of a NJ model on 'roids moving very quickly) that was really a 7-8 hour storm but it dumped widespread 10-16". Midlevels in that one looked better and more developed, but the frontogenesis in this one isn't that dissimilar...you noted previously how this thing is just getting crunched in that sloped manner back to 300mb on the northwest flank...prob gonna see some 2-3"/hr streamers imbedded in that solid shield of 1"/hr rates. 

Oh, yeah...riiight.  Yup I remember now... I know there was one.  That was good one.  I love those dynamic hyper roids.

Yeah, agreed on the bands - I think some lightning could be seen too.  I know I'm saying that alot but thunder snow is one of  my favorite phenoms and I'm hoping to catch some of that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

Right in Arlington MA, near sommerville and Lexington and around 10 miles from Boston to the NW. Pretty close to the Jack zone for this storm hence why I've been posting so often

Yeah I’m on the area so I know that location well.  You should do very well!

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah....I was being half serious ... sort of wantonly tongue and cheek cynical, too - I love sordid humor. It's among my favorite forms of muse - and gets me into trouble around here, too ;)

When I said I wondered whether other regions around the country rejoice in it? Mm that was obviously sarcasm ... But, I guess now that we thinking about it, the Lakes out through the northern plains/Missouri Valley ... all these regions have local standards that vary ... They have to. Demographics are not ubiquitous. The "culture" of how each region handles matters is rooted in that, and different climate... it's a lot to consider.  Plus, you just have a lower asshole quotient outside of New England ... ha. 

Anyway, obviously you and I know 4" in DC doesn't mean the same thing as 4" in Vermont.

I suspected as much re being half serious. And you are correct, 4" in DC is panic-inducing, buy all the bread, clean out Safeway, bring home the laptop, do we have enough beer and wine, cancel every meeting, absurdity.