Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

38 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

My thoughts and some things I debated/considered:

-  how far back west of Worcester to push 8+ amounts... lots of evidence this is trending more amped NW, + better SLRs there, so this is more NW of the jack zone on Euro/RGEM

- is there potential for > 12"... tough given quick hitter, but I would put that in south coast to PVD to NW CT area

- other mesoscale features: I posted about CF enhancement earlier but this moves too quickly to really set up and have discernible impact

great map and def agree with it .. per usual have enjoyed your posts over the past couple days (last storm as well) 

Just now, 78Blizzard said:

LOL-  Like it has been said, not meaningful until 6 hrs out.

Balogne, you can pick up things from it. Don't take it verbatim but if it shows a shredded mess, I don't ignore it. I'm very pleased that it doesn't show that.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It actually weenied out again after backing off slightly at 20z. 

In our snowfall events this season, seeing the HRRR jacked has played out well.  I loved seeing that thing show 1-1.5" QPF ahead of a couple storms because it's usually the voice of reason.  It's often that model that shows .6" when the NAM and RGEM show 1.2"....so getting the HRRR jacked on QPF is definitely a great sign.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any snowfall calls you’d care to share for SNE?

I think the box map is pretty solid. I don't see anything egregious I'd change. 

There could be some higher amounts than 12" in a lucky band if snowgrowth is premium. 

4 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

great map and def agree with it .. per usual have enjoyed your posts over the past couple days (last storm as well) 

17 minutes ago, ScituateWX said:

You might be the most level headed person in the forum 

Thanks guys, but I'm nowhere near the same league as some of the posters here. 

Regarding this storm, you'll remember I was initially raising some caution flags given some similarities to Fri/Sat (my map for that busted spectacularly). But a deeper trough and more robust vorticity will overcome those negatives, and only with last night's guidance trends did I feel more confident this would be a big hit. Upstream obs in Philly thread look on track. There will invariably be surprises to nowcast.

And now to tend to some real life before (perhaps the best event of the season) starts... I'll be back tonight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Thanks guys, but I'm nowhere near the same league as some of the posters here. 

Regarding this storm, you'll remember I was initially raising some caution flags given some similarities to Fri/Sat (my map for that busted spectacularly). But a deeper trough and more robust vorticity will overcome those negatives, and only with last night's guidance trends did I feel more confident this would be a big hit. Upstream obs in Philly thread look on track. There will invariably be surprises to nowcast.

And now to tend to some real life before (perhaps the best event of the season) starts... I'll be back tonight

No leading shortwave, gives it room to do its thing. A leading shortwave out in front of the main show ALWAYS mucks things up.

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Can’t you still get heavy snow and good rates/size without having best lift within the DGZ? Like aren’t there cases (like when you have WAA or strong llvl fronto) that can compensate?

Sure. Most of the time we get +SN with average ratios. But when you said "sick sounding" I thought you were referring to a deep DGZ with big omega crosshaired through it.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Help a guy get donations for his friends and then he takes a shot at my barred rocks. :(

Hey now, that meant the world to me. Can't say enough kind words to this whole community and to you personally. And I had to look up what barred rocks were. Turns out they are chickens.