Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Doubt I'll ever have a bust better than April 1982.  Late evening on 4/6, CAR added flurries to its cloudy, cold, windy forecast; the storm pounding NYC to BOS progged for OTS.  Less than 3 hours later we had SN+.  My total in Ft. Kent was a massively windblown (thus near impossible to measure) 17" - a driveway drift left our black Chevette with about 20 square inches showing.  CAR recorded 26.3", at the time their biggest snowfall ever, though it's been bumped to 3rd by the March 1984 dump and the post-Christmas stalled system of 2005. 

Tomorrow's event - maybe 3", barely avoiding 3 whiffs in 4 days.  However, looks like our snowpack stays tall well into next week, maybe beyond.

Depending on who you listened to, 2/6/1978 had a forecast of 3-6"...   40"+ later IMBY

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Absolutely false.  HRR out in the extended range (past 6 hours) typically is much less reliable.

I wouldn't trust the Reggie either with all the changes happening now. Just my opinion and experience from the past.

My thoughts and some things I debated/considered:

-  how far back west of Worcester to push 8+ amounts... lots of evidence this is trending more amped NW, + better SLRs there, so this is more NW of the jack zone on Euro/RGEM

- is there potential for > 12"... tough given quick hitter, but I would put that in south coast to PVD to NW CT area

- other mesoscale features: I posted about CF enhancement earlier but this moves too quickly to really set up and have discernible impact

Forecast_map_03_04_2019.jpg.5693ae379d6168a4427e81ac660d92a4.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I didn't really hit on the cf, which is a fetish of mine....but its moving so fast, dnt think its a big deal.

Agree, I had posted about that earlier but it's subtle and this moves to quickly for any discernible impact

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Doubt I'll ever have a bust better than April 1982.  Late evening on 4/6, CAR added flurries to its cloudy, cold, windy forecast; the storm pounding NYC to BOS progged for OTS.  Less than 3 hours later we had SN+.  My total in Ft. Kent was a massively windblown (thus near impossible to measure) 17" - a driveway drift left our black Chevette with about 20 square inches showing.  CAR recorded 26.3", at the time their biggest snowfall ever, though it's been bumped to 3rd by the March 1984 dump and the post-Christmas stalled system of 2005. 

Tomorrow's event - maybe 3", barely avoiding 3 whiffs in 4 days.  However, looks like our snowpack stays tall well into next week, maybe beyond.

My biggest bust was back in February, 1969, also known as the 100 hour storm.  The route 128 belt had between 25-40", with a forecast of about a foot or so and not a 4-day storm.  Of course there was no effective model guidance back in those days, and satellite images were relied on much more.  This picture shows that it wasn't just the Blizzard of 1978 that made a mess of route 128.

http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photo1969b.html