Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Are you talking about the main s/w coming in from the northwest or stuff coming up from the southwest? I certainly agree with your thoughts and with that I think all of that aligns better for SE CT...perhaps that would need to be pulled back farther NW, but the track of everything doesn't have me very confident for a good part of the state. Also looks like things really crank a bit later so this would be a much better deal for eastern areas.

Heres the funny part..you thought last night looked good for CT for banding,and the overall set up really didn’t look good at all on modeling besides the banding signal, which never materialized. 

Tomorrow looks much better and different on modeling, and you think it looks worse?   

You’re the MET..but this looks way different than today, but you’re the pro, not me. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

From the southwest. It’s decent. 

Yeah it certainly is decent. If the NAM is right with that blob of vorticity that sort of comes over CT we will get dumped on pretty good and I'll bust super low. It's tough to tell if this is a legit piece of energy or not...it comes out of the same vorticity cluster so who knows. The GFS looks good too and you can really see the precip blossom with the feature. I just think a good part of CT is right on the border with this.

932430652_namgfsvort.png.2b4a5b42147d9ce3678ee0507006ce18.png

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah it certainly is decent. If the NAM is right with that blob of vorticity that sort of comes over CT we will get dumped on pretty good and I'll bust super low. It's tough to tell if this is a legit piece of energy or not...it comes out of the same vorticity cluster so who knows. The GFS looks good too and you can really see the precip blossom with the feature. I just think a good part of CT is right on the border with this.

932430652_namgfsvort.png.2b4a5b42147d9ce3678ee0507006ce18.png

You'll have a better idea in about 30 mins or so.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Heres the funny part..you thought last night looked good for CT for banding,and the overall set up really didn’t look good at all on modeling besides the banding signal, which never materialized. 

Tomorrow looks much better and different on modeling, and you think it looks worse?   

You’re the MET..but this looks way different than today, but you’re the pro, not me. 

The 500mb pattern is quite similar...very flat and fast (in fact the flow is even faster tonight overall (Tonight: left: last night: right)

flow.png.4a22ef8926dd7122f30d6edfa02e1eb9.png

Here is GFS tonight for Monday morning vs last night

102717976_vortcomparison.thumb.png.f28a14cf7c44740fcb2913e21f10c7ae.png

700 looks similar and in fact models had 700 low developing around eastern MA. Doesn't look to happen Monday (obviously not always needed, but helpful). 

Biggest difference I see is the 850 inflow with a much stronger jet (like Scott mentioned) and closed off low but that looks to be way south to benefit CT. Looks to benefit more of RI/SE MA. All the best fronto/VV's also scrape southern CT and eastern areas. 

And tomorrow could very well present the same issues with convection negatively influencing things...that I downplayed yesterday, but can't do that tomorrow when it's obvious there will be even more convection at play here. 

In CT I think we're relying on intense WAA and some piece of vort to move overhead (like the NAM is showing). Otherwise to me it looks like all the best lifting and forcing and heaviest snow hit southern CT, RI, and into SE MA. 

Unless there is something I'm totally missing here...what would allow for this to definitively track farther north and west than what happened last night? What is the key piece saying that will happen? 

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The 500mb pattern is quite similar...very flat and fast (in fact the flow is even faster tonight overall (Tonight: left: last night: right)

flow.png.4a22ef8926dd7122f30d6edfa02e1eb9.png

Here is GFS tonight for Monday morning vs last night

102717976_vortcomparison.thumb.png.f28a14cf7c44740fcb2913e21f10c7ae.png

700 looks similar and in fact models had 700 low developing around eastern MA. Doesn't look to happen Monday (obviously not always needed, but helpful). 

Biggest difference I see is the 850 inflow with a much stronger jet (like Scott mentioned) and closed off low but that looks to be way south to benefit CT. Looks to benefit more of RI/SE MA. All the best fronto/VV's also scrape southern CT and eastern areas. 

And tomorrow could very well present the same issues with convection negatively influencing things...that I downplayed yesterday, but can't do that tomorrow when it's obvious there will be even more convection at play here. 

In CT I think we're relying on intense WAA and some piece of vort to move overhead (like the NAM is showing). Otherwise to me it looks like all the best lifting and forcing and heaviest snow hit southern CT, RI, and into SE MA. 

Unless there is something I'm totally missing here...what would allow for this to definitively track farther north and west than what happened last night? What is the key piece saying that will happen? 

Well, I hope you’re right. The amped trend tonight is leaving the coast down here sweating a little. 

I definitely was on the low end and pretty bearish for this last storm but this time seem to be on the higher end of things. Everything i've seen tonight including model trends, lift in the DGZ, FGEN, surface track and intensity looks significantly better than last storm.

May have to amend this tomorrow for a final call but this is my thoughts for now. Goodnight everyone.

03.03.19_snow_forecast_2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Well, I hope you’re right. The amped trend tonight is leaving the coast down here sweating a little. 

Unless that shortwave pushing in from Canada has a greater interaction with the s/w driving from the southwest I don’t see how it can really amplify in this flow (this is where I may be wrong perhaps). 

I switched to mobile now and tougher to analyze, but it seems like the 0z euro has a greater interaction and yields this being more amped...?

0z Euro definitely looks less amped to me... I was expecting it to take this step towards GFS for reasons I listed earlier

I'm in agreement with Wiz... the list of red flags I posted earlier is pretty much the same

What this system does have going for it (vs. Friday) is more robust shortwave energy and a better shaped trough, so we'll see if that can overcome the negatives

2 hours ago, tiger_deF said:

Oh true, guess I'm trying to see who's on late night crew now that the younguns are in bed

Ironic because I'm 16 and easily in the bottom 1 percentile of age according to the survey

The scales tip older.

13 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Isn't most of the precip over by 12z Monday?

Best rates per Euro for that NEMA-Worcester area would be ~8z-11z as 850 low slides southeast of CC

I can only see h850 at 6 hour intervals (6z and 12z), but I suspect it closes and is well located before 12z

5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yeah for eastern SNE, verbatim 0z Euro precipitation timeframe is ~3z-14z, so ending mid-morning as Ray said

Yeah I see that now. Thanks

I'm not sure what the 18z Euro did compared to the 12z but comparing this run with the 12z run from earlier, it really cut back on the QPF everywhere. I don't have paid access that has great details so I'm going off of Maue's site. I guess that's going to happen if it's less amped, therefore less precip but it's now drier than the GFS. Go figure lol.

Still a solid storm though. I'll gladly take my 0.6-0.8 inches of frozen precip and run with it

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Several ensemble members at 00z had shown the low over ACK, perhaps even tickling a little closer to the Caee.

Virtually all the EPS members go right over ACK which lends confidence in this almost being a lock at this point.

eps_slp_25_neng_7.png

eps_slp_50_neng_7.png

• Like 1