Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

5E858419-0E5F-4F99-BEFD-2C757234ABD7.jpeg

F-gen is really pretty simple, because you're just dealing with changes in fronts (temp differences). Shear, diffluence, and tilt. 

So you stretch or shrink temp gradients (u), you diverge or converge temp gradients (v), or you tilt them up or down (w). 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think I remember my entire 2nd semester senior year except for dates of snow events...there was advanced forecasting in there somewhere as a blurry memory.

Somewhere in there you taught me GFS biases and what the Gun Hill Effect was.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

My first attempt at met school I think I saw Mekster more in Sherbrooke than at LSC.

:axe:

Can confirm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

F-gen is really pretty simple, because you're just dealing with changes in fronts (temp differences). Shear, diffluence, and tilt. 

So you stretch or shrink temp gradients (u), you diverge or converge temp gradients (v), or you tilt them up or down (w). 

I do not think you know what the word “simple”means...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I do not think you know what the word “simple”means...

You work your way up to these things...all of the smaller basic equations that you eventually piece together and substitute in to get the larger ones. The only thing that used to irk me was keeping track of your signs whenever you had to plug data into the equations for a specific problem. It's easy to lose or gain a minus sign.

• Like 1

Well here we go. Not getting burned on something that has some of the same flags as last night. Some of my reasoning behind this:

• 500mb: Flat (zonal-like) and fast flow...very little, if any, room for amplification. Vorticity field is crap...too much of it. Likely will be a ton of convection and numerous vort maxes within the flow. 
  • No closed off H7 low (I recognize the kink) but seems like that happens south and while H85 closes off, it as well is south. 
  • Looking at WV imagery...hard to envision this gaining much in the way of latitude...unless that area of vorticity streaming SE from the northern Plains can help out...that is looking meh.
  • This morning's system likely set a baroclinic zone...this storm could follow right along that track
  • There is going to be a TON of convection in the SE tomorrow and for the fish...that is going to rob moisture

1841162209_Snowmap.png.40f0ace7e12e9be742399b95a5c6a8fc.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ukie is def more amped too...seems like all the guidance sans NAM at 00z is more amped.

There has been a few flags on the positive side tonight on this as outlined earlier, I would not be surprised to see the Euro move in that direction, The 18z run of the Euro i have noticed since it came on can be wishy washy at times.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Well here we go. Not getting burned on something that has some of the same flags as last night. Some of my reasoning behind this:

• 500mb: Flat (zonal-like) and fast flow...very little, if any, room for amplification. Vorticity field is crap...too much of it. Likely will be a ton of convection and numerous vort maxes within the flow. 
  • No closed off H7 low (I recognize the kink) but seems like that happens south and while H85 closes off, it as well is south. 
  • Looking at WV imagery...hard to envision this gaining much in the way of latitude...unless that area of vorticity streaming SE from the northern Plains can help out...that is looking meh.
  • This morning's system likely set a baroclinic zone...this storm could follow right along that track
  • There is going to be a TON of convection in the SE tomorrow and for the fish...that is going to rob moisture

1841162209_Snowmap.png.40f0ace7e12e9be742399b95a5c6a8fc.png

I’d at least double your 2-4

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I’d at least double your 2-4

That's what I did yesterday and got totally screwed. I can't see how tomorrow night brings anything different than what just happened. This almost looks quite similar to last night...the pattern is the exact same (only major difference I see is with s/w strength digging out of Canada). 

The QPF field up this way initially seems to be heavily influenced by a vort max models have arriving out of the OV. I'm sure we'll have WAA induced precip, but perhaps not as intense as what is shown. 

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That's what I did yesterday and got totally screwed. I can't see how tomorrow night brings anything different than what just happened. This almost looks quite similar to last night...the pattern is the exact same (only major difference I see is with s/w strength digging out of Canada). 

The QPF field up this way initially seems to be heavily influenced by a vort max models have arriving out of the OV. I'm sure we'll have WAA induced precip, but perhaps not as intense as what is shown. 

Tomorrow nigjt is totally different. You have a decent s/w in ththe flow, a juicier airmass, higher 850 inflow etc. It is zipping along so we won’t see huge totals,  but it won’t be like last night.

As a side note, those near taint may get a massive convective thumping of man snow. Guidance really has that look near those areas. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Forget about last night, tomorrows a different night.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tomorrow nigjt is totally different. You have a decent s/w in ththe flow, a juicier airmass, higher 850 inflow etc. It is zipping along so we won’t see huge totals,  but it won’t be like last night.

As a side note, those near taint may get a massive convective thumping of man snow. Guidance really has that look near those areas. 

Are you talking about the main s/w coming in from the northwest or stuff coming up from the southwest? I certainly agree with your thoughts and with that I think all of that aligns better for SE CT...perhaps that would need to be pulled back farther NW, but the track of everything doesn't have me very confident for a good part of the state. Also looks like things really crank a bit later so this would be a much better deal for eastern areas.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Antecedent day seems to indicate that. I see power issues 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Are you talking about the main s/w coming in from the northwest or stuff coming up from the southwest? I certainly agree with your thoughts and with that I think all of that aligns better for SE CT...perhaps that would need to be pulled back farther NW, but the track of everything doesn't have me very confident for a good part of the state. Also looks like things really crank a bit later so this would be a much better deal for eastern areas.

From the southwest. It’s decent.