Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Elliot Abrams to Retire

JTA66

1 minute ago, JTA66 said:

I was going to post this in the "Vendor" thread, but decided Elliot deserves his own thread...

https://www.philly.com/entertainment/accuweather-elliot-abrams-retiring-20190228.html

Thanks for posting that. 45 years or so ago he was the one that sparked my love of weather. He will be missed.

Or...as he himself used to say - "Once the rain is gone, it won't be mist" 

• Like 1

Just read the article at AccWx - https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/meet-the-man-behind-the-mic-american-weather-icon-says-farewell-as-illustrious-51-year-career-comes-to-a-close/70007560

IIRC he used to live here in Philly and went to the junior high school a couple miles from me.   Loved his wacky and corny puns and would look forward to the days when he did them.  He was unique at the time given the fact that most local radio/TV media used non-met on-air staff to read the forecasts, with someone behind the scenes actually coming up with them. Nowadays, "broadcast meteorology" is a major with its own degree.

Wish him well and hope he enjoys his "on-air" retirement!

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

I was going to post this in the "Vendor" thread, but decided Elliot deserves his own thread...

https://www.philly.com/entertainment/accuweather-elliot-abrams-retiring-20190228.html

Yes he does! It was disappointing when KYW stopped using Accuweather, years ago he always gave you good info about what was actually going on especially with impending snow events. Hope he enjoys his retirement!

• Like 1

I remember listening to Elliot back in the late 60's early 70's as a weather nut. Never missed his 2 reports on the hour from KYW1040.  40 years ago this guy was more accurate than most models today. After Elliot his understudy started to take over (Joe Bastardi) I will miss him. He let you know what was about to happen weather wise whether you liked his forecast or not. He was a great man in our weather world. Good luck my brother!

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

From my childhood years, KYW + Weather = Elliot Abrams

*I know JB would chime in on KYW if it wasn't Elliot but there were a couple more also in a smaller role...anyone remember their names? Once I see their name I'll probably recognize it...

Joe Soble. Joe Lundberg Evan Abrams

Yeah there was an Evan Myers.   Possibly Joel's son.   Gonna miss Elliot.   He was and is a fan favorite.  Congrats on your retirement Elliot!  Well earned.  Would be great to have Elliot do local weather on TV, but we know there is ZERO chance of that.

Opps just goggled the info.   Evan is Joel's brother.  Also has another brother named Barry

30 minutes ago, Prairie Dog said:

Yeah there was an Evan Myers.   Possibly Joel's son.   Gonna miss Elliot.   He was and is a fan favorite.  Congrats on your retirement Elliot!  Well earned.  Would be great to have Elliot do local weather on TV, but we know there is ZERO chance of that.

Opps just goggled the info.   Evan is Joel's brother.  Also has another brother named Barry

Yup it was Evan Myers, one of Joel's brothers.