SnowGiant611
    Newest Member
    SnowGiant611
WEATHERMINATOR

March 3rd-4th Shellacking threat

Just now, Snow88 said:

Jan 2016

7 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Funny enough I was in DC for that one -- which was probably the only time I ever saw DC jackpot too!

4 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Should've been here. Anyway interesting to see the heavier echoes die out a bit before hitting the city. 

It does seem to be intensifying despite DBZs still looking paltry on radar. Sticking on all surfaces now here. 

9 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

3/31/97 was near 60 and 4/1 was in the high 50's then that night I got 17". We had been experiencing a very early spring and the trees were nearly fully leafed out already. What a disaster that was.

It was a very damaging storm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I will be honest I have no idea what 4dvar is but I will take note of this thanks

Neither does he

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Negnao said:

Could be worse is my point. We measure at the lowest point in the city on the shore of the Potomac. 

We're lucky if they remember to measure when the precip stops or if they dont pick a spot under a tree.

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It was a very damaging storm.

What were the temps before the Oct 2011 storm? Knocked power out for a week here in some parts.

24 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

3/31/97 was near 60 and 4/1 was in the high 50's then that night I got 17". We had been experiencing a very early spring and the trees were nearly fully leafed out already. What a disaster that was.

We got 22 out of that one. What a mess. Our son was 6 months old, we lost power for 2 days and didnt have a generator then. We own one now.

Spent the night at our neighbors, he was able to keep his house warm with his wood burning stove.

Next morning we left and stayed with my in laws for a day and a half until power came back. :(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Im not too far from you and its sticking here on cars and grass

Yeah, slowly starting to stick on the pavement now. Thank god I got the outage I was working on back cause I hate working in this weather but ‘‘tis the season. Going to be a busy few days getting people there lights back on 

28 minutes ago, Negnao said:

I got 36 inches in the suburbs just west of dc. Dc only report about 18 for that storm. At least you get to have snow measured at Central Park. That’s a favorable location. 

With unfavorable measurers.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

What were the temps before the Oct 2011 storm? Knocked power out for a week here in some parts.

Central NJ was in the lower and middle 50s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

RAP buries NYC with 12"

It probably won't matter in Central Park but the RAP has been too cold. It also has 13" near PHL and they've already gone to sleet. 

HRRR has been pretty consistent in bringing sleet into much of LI, even up to me. I don't think it would cut down on accums too much and the warm layer isn't too thick (meaning heavier rates could probably overcome it), but if you're east and definitely south of the city, I'd hedge on pinging at some point in this. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WIN said:

We got 22 out of that one. What a mess. Our son was 6 months old, we lost power for 2 days and didnt have a generator then. We own one now.

Spent the night at our neighbors, he was able to keep his house warm with his wood burning stove.

Next morning we left and stayed with my in laws for a day and a half until power came back. :(

I got super lucky and didn't lose power in that one but the houses down the block from me did. I had a 20 foot long branch land on the power line to my house but was able to lever it off before the line ripped out. It was sparking something fierce and I didn't want it to light the house on fire so did the stupid (?) thing and got it off of there.

51 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Mid 50's here. We got pummeled in that one. Lost power for 5 days after Irene raged through here and put a tree on my house and a bunch across the street on the power line. The snow a week (?) later took the power out for another 4 days :(  We lost Halloween here too, the town banned trick or treating. A year later after Sandy the same thing happened and we lost power again, at least with that one I didn't have any trees on the house and only lost power for a total of 6.5 days between the two storms.

2 hours ago, Negnao said:

I got 36 inches in the suburbs just west of dc. Dc only report about 18 for that storm. At least you get to have snow measured at Central Park. That’s a favorable location. 

I hope this was a joke.  Until the last couple of years the measurements from the 1970's through 2015 were a string of historic under measurements in Central Park.

• Like 1

Short Term Forecast
National Weather Service New York NY
1005 PM EST Sun Mar 3 2019

NYZ072>075-176-178-040500-
New York (Manhattan)-Bronx-Richmond (Staten Island)-
Kings (Brooklyn)-Northern Queens-Southern Queens-
1005 PM EST Sun Mar 3 2019

.NOW...
Snowfall rates will continue to increase through midnight with 1
inch per hour possible. There is also a chance for 2 inch per hour
rates after midnight. Many roads outside of Manhattan are
beginning to become snow covered and hazardous for travel. Roads
remain wet in Manhattan, but are expected to become snow covered
in the next few hours as snowfall rates increase. Use extra
caution if you plan to travel tonight due to snow covered roads
and poor visibility.

$$

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Love nighttime snow shots. More nostalgic than most other types of wx pics IMO.

But during the day time you get to see all the snowflakes sparkling as they fall :P

With night time snow shots, I'm confined to photographing near street lights :(

17 hours ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Evidence? Haven't seen NYC jackpot one storm since I've been here (2013). 

Baltimore does have a history of doing better than NYC in southern stream systems (like February 2002), but JFK does well with them too, which is why it beats the rest of the coastal areas in storms like PD2 and Jan 2016.