Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 3rd-4th Shellacking threat

WEATHERMINATOR

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Look at last March, I had 4 inches and some of them had 20...

I live on the dividing line where elevation starts to go up. A few miles to my north or west has a surprising difference when it comes to snowfall. Isotherm’s yearly average snowfall map reflects this really well. 

Here’s the million dollar question for me: I’m in south Nassau by Long Beach. Do I take the snow blower out of the shed (which I have yet to do this winter) or is it going to be pure slurpee slop when I wake up in the morning like all of the other recent storms?

i suspect a basic shovel to push the slop off the driveway is all I’ll need, but don’t want to have to shovel the back yard to get to the snow blower in the morning. 

TV weather isn’t helpful as they all say “could be less if warmer or more if colder”. News 12 is now calling for 4-8” across Nassau County. 

1 minute ago, NyJosh said:

Here’s the million dollar question for me: I’m in south Nassau by Long Beach. Do I take the snow blower out of the shed (which I have yet to do this winter) or is it going to be pure slurpee slop when I wake up in the morning like all of the other recent storms?

i suspect a basic shovel to push the slop off the driveway is all I’ll need, but don’t want to have to shovel the back yard to get to the snow blower in the morning. 

TV weather isn’t helpful as they all say “could be less if warmer or more if colder”. News 12 is now calling for 4-8” across Nassau County. 

I’d expect at least 3-5” there, since there’ll be several hours at least of good snow before warm air comes close. If I had to wager from going through countless of these type storms, I’d say it mixes at some point but there may not be much of the storm left by then. 

Just now, Snowberd said:

How can the Upton snowmap and my local accuweather differ this much? I know south shore LI is dubbed the “snowhole” of LI, but 2” for the entire storm when the NWS says 6-8” for the entire metro? Why this discrepancy?

warm air is coming in and most likely

snow will turn to rain

• Thanks 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

I’d expect at least 3-5” there, since there’ll be several hours at least of good snow before warm air comes close. If I had to wager from going through countless of these type storms, I’d say it mixes at some point but there may not be much of the storm left by then. 

So you would go with the shovel as opposed to pulling out the snow thrower (assuming I get outside around 7am)? If it’s too wet and sloppy the snow blower gets clogged up and doesn’t throw it more than a foot.

Just now, NyJosh said:

So you would go with the shovel as opposed to pulling out the snow thrower (assuming I get outside around 7am)? If it’s too wet and sloppy the snow blower gets clogged up and doesn’t throw it more than a foot.

It's March. Put on a pair of waterproof hikers and go to work. It will be gone by the time you get home.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SimeonNC said:

Fwiw a lot of the past hrrr runs never have LI completely switching to rain, mixing sure but no straight up rain storm.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

i hope so. we deserve a good snowstorm

Started raining lightly here in Metuchen at about 4:15 pm at 40F. The light rain just changed to light snow at 4:40 pm and it's 38F. Should drop pretty quickly, as the column cools from evaporation. It's already down to 34F 10 miles W in Somerville, where they've saturated the column. Show is about to begin folks.

Lol 

Rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 2am, then snow and freezing rain. Low around 32. Wind chill values between 25 and 30. Southeast wind 7 to 17 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

3 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

RGEM and hi res RGEM ticked QPF down a smidge, obviously noise. We're locked in to a 7-12" event. Probably ~9" IMO

I think amounts over 7-8 are gonna be tough near the coast as many places may be 33-34 all event so it may compact and melt as it falls.  JFK already only has a max wet bulb of 33.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I think amounts over 7-8 are gonna be tough near the coast as many places may be 33-34 all event so it may compact and melt as it falls.  JFK already only has a max wet bulb of 33.

Yeah JFK and immediate coast is in a tough spot but some of this banding can do the trick. The fv3 GFS showing up to 1.25"+ QPF on the island is interesting.

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Still reminds me of last March. 10 inches of cement 34 degrees.