Most Online
    havaninotlari
    Newest Member
    havaninotlari
WxUSAF

March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

31 minutes ago, H2O said:

I might go boating on the Potomac near Great Falls with my dinghy

Just a reminder that the Dinghy Dignity in Death Package is 50% off today. I have a couple reapings scheduled, but I'll be in the area if you need me. 

K4SUCB5XANBBNOAU55D5VSLDYE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I'm surprised I'm at 38/26 in DC up by Lincoln's Cottage. He liked this spot for the summer because it's a bit cooler than downtown.... Guess he was right!

Here's the sounding from the NAM at DC at 00Z.  Is it sleet or rain?  it's right at that threshold and the sounding suggests folks just to the north and west will probably be getting sleet courtesy of PivotalWx. 

Mar_3_00Z-2019_sounding.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Went to my friend's house in gamber/finksburg. No snow left on the ground. Bare as can be. Actually there was no snowcover left south of Walmart. 

The fact that we held some snow cover bodes well. Our temps are running quite a bit cooler than the rest of the forum this morning .

Agree.  There was also barely any snow left in that valley just to our north near Highs...weird then there was solid snow again on the next ridge to the north and into Hanover when I went up there last night. 

NAM3k shows a thin warm layer centered around 800 just NW of DC to Baltimore that will make or break the storm for those riding the boundary. Looks good for the favored spots further to the north and west.

16 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

On a serious note though, best of luck everyone. Hopefully the cities can get an overperformer on the front end. Keep padding those stats. 

How did you do with the coastal the other day?

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Agree.  There was also barely any snow left in that valley just to our north near Highs...weird then there was solid snow again on the next ridge to the north and into Hanover when I went up there last night. 

Snow cover hanging tough here. FWIW 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

NAM3k shows a thin warm layer centered around 800 just NW of DC to Baltimore that will make or break the storm for those riding the boundary. Looks good for the favored spots further to the north and west.

I barely lose 850s on the 3K... Trending in the right direction finally

It is going to take ripping rates between the toasty temps and solar radiation to be any kind of road issues.  It should be pretty though...not picky in March! 

32 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I wonder if this initial moisture will help cool the column before the heavier stuff arrives later.  I’m probably out but hopefully it’s enough for the Western PWC crew

Could drop a few degrees but we need that wind direction to shift at all levels which means a big change in things or hope models are a little off in their forecasts. 

20 minutes ago, Buildthewall said:

Nam is definitely colder finally 

namconus_T850_neus_15.png

Slightly colder at onset but overall just noise as it still shows areas north and west of dc/balt as all rain.  

2 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

35 degrees and steady, moderate snow in Augusta County.  Approaching 1/2" on grass and elevated surfaces.

And same temp here with just good 'ol rain.......oh well. 

2 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

35 degrees and steady, moderate snow in Augusta County.  Approaching 1/2" on grass and elevated surfaces.

Good luck out that way !  Just light rain here in eastern Augusta..

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

How did you do with the coastal the other day?

Horribly. Woke up (again) to bare ground and was fortunate to scrape out 1.5".

20.1" on the year which I'm sure is less than 50% of climo. 

Bullish on this storm though.