Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I don’t think it’s a non event, well I guess it depends on the definition but I95 around Baltimore I think has a chance for a couple of wet inches mainly on cold surfaces hence the advisory. 

I just don't see it. March. Daylight. Temps likely above freezing. Classic white rain setup.

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

I think you triggered that guy lol.  Keep up the good fight!

Prepare yourself for some painful obs tomorrow.  Whatever medication you take double it.  I assume almost everyone here is on some mood stabilizer or they are raging alcoholics.  Tomorrow is not the day to get clean.  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Prepare yourself for some painful obs tomorrow.  Whatever medication you take double it.  I assume almost everyone here is on some mood stabilizer or they are raging alcoholics.  Tomorrow is not the day to get clean.  

One or more of the meso's are gonna paint 4 to 5 inches over our area in the next 10 hour cycle. Just hug them until it starts raining, then give up. That's what I do. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fozz said:

My dreaded Shawan Rd call is looking solid if this is right.

I will sleep like a baby tonight, lol. 

Speaking from lots experience this winter, anyone right near that 2" line on that tight gradient, it usually fails not in your favor.

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I will sleep like a baby tonight, lol. 

Speaking from lots experience this winter, anyone right near that 2" line on that tight gradient, it usually fails not in your favor.

I agree. In fact, you really want to be on the right side of their 6" line. Not because you won't be happy with anything less than that, but because in these setups, the drop from 5-7" to 1-2" can be brutal.

Stop hugging rain snow lines. Surface is almost always colder, precip is almost always more jacked than progged  

Too close to the storm to be using the Euro frankly. NAM/GEM/RGEM/GFS blend at the 24 hour mark will do. GEM says 10” in Baltimore. Euro says 2” lol. No wonder LWX has zero clue how to handle the Baltimore area. Going to be a VERY close call for me here in far western Ellicott City along 108

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Stop hugging rain snow lines. Surface is almost always colder, precip is almost always more jacked than progged  

Too close to the storm to be using the Euro frankly. NAM/GEM/RGEM/GFS blend at the 24 hour mark will do. GEM says 10” in Baltimore. Euro says 2” lol. No wonder LWX has zero clue how to handle the Baltimore area. Going to be a VERY close call for me here in far western Ellicott City along 108

The LWX mets know a lot more about this than the vast majority of us. I'm not saying they will be right, but their forecasts are based on much more knowledge and advanced analysis than what we hobbyists are capable of, so I wouldn't dismiss them or say they have zero clue.

Also, last minute north jumps often happen in these setups. Remember March 2017? 

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I think the Euro has a lot more realistic algorithm in calculating on the snow maps than the other models especially the GEM. But yeah it’s still really close but you would think this is classic elevation dependent for the higher totals 

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I agree. In fact, you really want to be on the right side of their 6" line. Not because you won't be happy with anything less than that, but because in these setups, the drop from 5-7" to 1-2" can be brutal.

Those snow maps are highly imperfect, and usually biased towards frozen on the edge imo. Probably will be pretty brutal because of the marginal surface temps and the warming at 850 mb at the height. The thing that might help those right on the line are heavy precip/dynamics. Hard to know how that will play out until game time. In this case it's probably wise to go with elevation, so if right on the fall line or east, keep expectations low.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

I think the Euro has a lot more realistic algorithm in calculating on the snow maps than the other models especially the GEM. But yeah it’s still really close but you would think this is classic elevation dependent for the higher totals 

Up until last night the Euro snow map was blank 

49 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

31 minutes ago, jayyy said:

How close are you to Sapwood Cellars on 108? ;)

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I am totally buying the 5" it gives my yard in 3 hours, with the 850 mb 0c line right over me and heading NW. Those maps are terrible.

I think his point was to show the changes between those two runs. My only takeaway from his post is that it’s a slightly colder run than 12z and there’s more frozen precip. We all know DC isn’t getting 6”.