Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs wont get any credit from many but it appears to have schooled the euro several runs in advance. Nice run. One more shift and DC will be happy. 

Shame to get it south it has to be weaker. As it continues to shift south the max snow also gets cut down each run. We needed a deeper cold airmass so that we could get a juiced amped system and still stay south of us. 

Yes some snow is better than lots of rain but seeing the max snowfall dwindle from 10-20” to about 6-8 now and knowing if it does continue shifting south it might end up a 3-6” storm is kind of sad.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fozz said:

This reminds me of the March 2014 storms in the way it’s been trending south and weaker with time.

I hope it doesn’t end up going down that road. I was in PA then but this area got fringed by both those waves in March 2014 after looking like the bullseye from 2 days out. 

Boom/bust sounds like march.. my wife says "this is when you walk away from the table". She's right as far as it goes to asphalt accumulations. You might get 10" worth of snow on asphalt that compacts to 3" over the duration 

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I hope it doesn’t end up going down that road. I was in PA then but this area got fringed by both those waves in March 2014 after looking like the bullseye from 2 days out. 

Yeah I hope it doesn’t get to that point, though the DC crowd will disagree. I’d lock up this latest Euro run as it is. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC

255 AM EST Sat Mar 2 2019

Carroll-Northern Baltimore-Northwest Harford-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM EST THIS

MORNING...

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Snow and freezing rain expected early this morning. Total

snow accumulation of a coating to 2 inches and total ice

accumulation of less than one tenth of an inch early this

morning. Heavy snow possible Sunday and Sunday night. Snow

accumulations of 5 inches or more are possible Sunday and Sunday

night.

* WHERE...Carroll, Northern Baltimore and Northwest Harford 

Counties.

* WHEN...For the Winter Weather Advisory, until 7 AM EST this 

morning. For the Winter Storm Watch, from Sunday morning 

through Monday morning.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Roads may be slippery early this morning.

Travel could be very difficult Sunday and Sunday night

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of snow, sleet or

freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Expect slippery

roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. 

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant

snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue

to monitor the latest forecasts. 

When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on

steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery,

increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service

Baltimore MD/Washington DC

255 AM EST

Sat Mar 2 2019

VAZ026-027-029>031-040-501-503>505-507-WVZ506-021600- /O.EXA.KLWX.WS.A.0006.190303T1200Z-190304T1200Z/

Rockingham-Shenandoah-Page-Warren-Clarke-Rappahannock- Northern Fauquier-Western Highland-Eastern Highland- Western Loudoun-Northern Virginia Blue Ridge-Eastern Pendleton-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible Sunday and Sunday night. Total snow accumulations of 5 or more inches are possible Sunday and Sunday night.

* WHERE...Portions of northern and western Virginia and eastern West Virginia.

* WHEN...From Sunday morning through Sunday night.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult Sunday and Sunday night.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

As the low that is affecting NYC area continues to pull away, expect the Sunday system to continue to trend slightly SE. If we can any semblance of a 50/50 out of it, game on. Looking good for far inland areas. Baltimore area still has a shot a significant snow as well. 00z tonight will be very telling. 

Actually a somewhat significant difference between the 06z NAM twins on how they handle the low to our south and when it is off the coast. Which is somewhat surprising considering we are getting into such short lead times and about the only major difference between the two is on resolution. 3K is running the low 50-100 miles south of the 12k as it runs to our south and also is much slower on amping the low up.  By the time it is off MD's shores we have a 1000 mb low  on the 3K vs 996 mb with the 12k. This weaker low results in the low being 100 miles or so farther east as it is slower to make its turn northward. Winning combo here would be a blend of the two. Southern track through the south on the 3k with the quicker ramp up of the 12K as it is hitting the coast. 

One other thing to note is that the 3k is drier then the 12k. Looking at roughly an inch+ through the DC/Balt corridor vs. .75+". We will need these rates as going by the 3k soundings we will be fighting a warm nose in the mid levels (850-750mb) even into the NW burbs. 

06Z GFS was a step back in the snowfall. Biggest issue here was it cut precip totals through the cities (DC/Balt) to under .5 inches. Farther south with the low across our south and exits the coast in a good spot (OBX) but it is slower to ramp up. Much better temp profile through the column with no indications of issues with a warm nose at mid-levels. Would be mostly or all snow through the cities. Throw a little quicker developing low as it exits the coast into the mix and I think those in the cities and N/W would be very satisfied.

27 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

06Z GFS was a step back in the snowfall. Biggest issue here was it cut precip totals through the cities (DC/Balt) to under .5 inches. Farther south with the low across our south and exits the coast in a good spot (OBX) but it is slower to ramp up. Much better temp profile through the column with no indications of issues with a warm nose at mid-levels. Would be mostly or all snow through the cities. Throw a little quicker developing low as it exits the coast into the mix and I think those in the cities and N/W would be very satisfied.

I am ofc rooting for more of a GFS type solution, with a further SE track and later development. This type of evolution might get the mid levels cold enough for some snow here, probably towards the end of the event. Low probability though. Better chances along I-95.

Overview from Mount Holly in their AM AFD:

While there is still some uncertainty regarding the actual surface low track, the guidance has shifted more southeastward. This appears to be due to today`s storm getting a bit stronger east of New England, plus the 00z ECMWF in the northern stream presses the lead short wave farther east. This lessens the mid level divergence in the height fields and pushes more zonal thus keeping the southern short wave farther south (more toward the GFS solution). Other guidance is also a bit more south and east. This would tend to favor some colder thermal profiles, however a more southern track may also lessen the dynamic forcing to some extent especially the farther northwest one goes. Our region however is still forecast to get within the favorable right entrance region of a 250 mb jet. This will also help to strengthen the surface low as it tracks to our east. In addition, the incoming amplifying trough will produce a period of widespread large scale ascent, which will be augmented by a zone of stronger 850-700 mb frontogenetic forcing especially during the first half of Sunday night.