Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It is wild that the cutoff was just west of the Blue Ridge. You guys usually do well with your elevation.

Yeah this one was really weird -- I can't remember the last time Charles Town did better than we did. Maybe the angle of the precip or the BR ended up as one of the main battleground areas with the warm nose bleeding through just enough west to ruin the event for us. Normally your reports are a pretty good benchmark for what's incoming our way during events since I'm on the ridge just about due east of you. This time I was thinking you might have had one too many beers when you were posting obs....

Kids are going to be devastated to wake up tomorrow to a pile of slop after being told 4-8". :lol:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Looks like we'll finish around 5. Hit low end of warning criteria and was plowable. No complaints here. Puts me at 37.0 for the season which is right at climo. Take away the 6 inches I got from the November storm and I still broke 30. That storm still was the single highest storm total this year for us up here which is pretty odd. This was the case with the October storm in 2011 however much less snow followed in that winter.

Nice. I was hoping for that but that last minute north jump messed it up for those of us closer to the city. A solid storm with marginal temps looks amazing on the trees. Luckily I’ll be able to ski tomorrow so it should be a very nice drive on the way.

• Like 1

Had a winter storm warning here for 3 to 5 inches, more forecasted just to my North  ( up to 8 inches )

Currently at my location heavy rain and nothing on the ground, what a bust. A huge bust at that !  

And a bust of forecast for just 6 hours ahead.  Incredible dissapointment for a lot of the kids in my area hoping for either a 2 hour delay or even a possible cyber day.   

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Solo2 said:

Ended here just NW of FDK with about 2" or so...better than most, but a huge bust per the models.  

I hate being within 30 miles of the R/S  line for  a large portion of the storm.  This is almost always the result. Same thing happened in March 2017

I think a good rule of thumb for those of us who aren’t in northern Carroll county is to never get too excited for a storm if DC is getting screwed. Because without DC, there’s way too little room for error for those of us a bit further north.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I think a good rule of thumb for those of us who aren’t in northern Carroll county is to never get too excited for a storm if DC is getting screwed. Because without DC, there’s way too little room for error for those of us a bit further north.

Huh? There are plenty of examples in previous seasons where areas not far from DC scored when DC did not. 

4 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Huh? There are plenty of examples in previous seasons where areas not far from DC scored when DC did not. 

Yea, but at least in those cases D.C. usually has white rain or another form of mix, sleet or non accumulating  snow.  In this case, absolutely zero wintry precipitation of any kind in city. And You could tell this morning it was too warm in city, and that you’d have to travel far, far outside the beltway for that to change. I guess occasionally you see nothing but a driving rain downtown while Rockville gets 5 inches but I really can’t think of that many times where it plays out like that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I got 3" out of the Friday storm and DC basically got nothing, so I dont think thats a good indicator. This storm it just wasn't cold enough and no HP keeping the warm air from filtering in. 

The GEM really sucked for this storm. It stubbornly kept showing snow even east of 95. The R/S line ended up north of 70. The Euro snow contours were probably the closest to correct, but still needed to shave 2-3" off the totals. 

2 hours ago, haudidoody said:

Nothing but rain... already way ahead on the year... miserable.

I feel very bad for you guys, I wanted SNOW for the Mid Atlantic.

About the rain totals, parts of N VA already up to nearly 9 inches on the year.

NOTHING is right in the world, when the Washington Metropolitan Region does not get snow.

I wanted heavy snow for you all so bad.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If the axis of heavier snow was 50 miles east on the models leading up to this “storm” this would’ve been a pretty embarrassing situation for LWX in the media. They’re lucky that the forecast for 6-8 wasn’t in DC or they would be getting raked over the coals. 

Measured 4.5" at 3:00 am here in Hanover just across the MD line. If I would have snow boarded was probably talking nearer to 6 all things considered. Went to bed at 7:30 so didn't witness it for fact but looking through the layers of the snow fall I see no indications we ever turned over to sleet or rain. So it looks to be an all snow event. Except for a brief period of time in the late afternoon where the snow got somewhat icey for the most part we were probably talking around 10:1 ratio snow and probably closer to 12:1 by the time I went to bed. But the ratios don't mean a thing when a light to somewhat moderate snow is falling into 33-34 degree temps and the ground is being heated by the deadly March sun. Temps did finally hit freezing at sundown and then that was when decent accumulations started occurring. So final call here of 4.5".

Nothing at home from this storm so still short of 30" on the season. If Ji was being honest he is short as well I don't doubt leesburgwx is at 30 because he is more nw than both of us. One more storm please to get ji and me to 30!

6 hours ago, jayyy said:

My folks up in new city, New York have 6” and it is still absolutely ripping up there. Places in interior CT will see over a foot. 

New York City itself busted hard. Upton was forecasting 7; looks like city got 2 to 4.

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Sheesh this storm was barely even a deal in this subforum if you got screwed too.

yup, 2.8" of slop. Sleet sat overhead for hours last night, minus one last hurrah as the back edge came through. Hasn't been my year. Oh well. 

26.4" now for the season

6 minutes ago, Clueless said:

I can report a trace.  

I can report a small area of snow under the wiper blade. I honestly thought, as late as 6 PM last night,  Northern Delaware schools would be getting at the least a 2 hour  delay.  Surprisgly they closed last Friday from Thursday's night storm which was only around 3 inches maybe 4 in certain spots.      

Thr trend this year has also been warm wet and we hardly ever get snow on the ground with an incoming cold air mass.  How freak'in boring. Like to go back to the 1960's winters or lore. 

• Haha 1