• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 3-4, 2019 Snow Discussion and Obs

WxUSAF

Given the marginal temps and the heaviest rates being very close to the r/s line, there is probably going to be a very narrow band of accumulating snow. Even narrower than what is being forecasted. Less than an inch an hr won’t cut it imo. I honestly think areas that just barely stay all snow may have the best opportunity for higher acculations. It’s not like temps drop off into the 20’s the further north and west you go. The best you’re gonna get is 31-32 even if you’re in a really good location. 

• Like 1

I'm having a bad feeling that the dividing line at the height of the storm will be around Shawan Rd. Hope I'm wrong and it's further south, but I've seen several events where the rain/snow line ended up between Shawan Rd and Middletown Rd. I don't know if there will be a last minute bump north, but those of us who are south of 39.5N can't really afford it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

3-6” is a good storm for us anytime, let alone march. If I had to WAG right now, I’d say 2-3” for us and @Scraff, but we might have to measure it in batches with melting or rain in between.  3-5” by I70, and 4-8” for the far NW folks.

I mean what’s another stats padder right? Obviously I / we are rooting for a few last minute small shifts that can pull us up to warning criteria. 

20 minutes ago, Jeff B said:

Agree Fozz...its painfully close to us who live on the west ridge but just far enough south.  Fingers crossed on this one.

Yep, it will be a very close call. We tend to do well in marginal events where elevation is the main factor, and precip is already falling as snow. Sometimes you'll see white rain along York Rd while there is accumulating snow west of I-83 around Jenifer Rd. But when the rain/snow line (or wintry mix/snow line) splits Baltimore county, our latitude is not always our friend.

4 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

12k is a nice front end thump before changing to rain for the cities. PSU’s dream for his back yard. 

eh.... surface temps are 33-34 so without good rates it will just be white rain for the cities, before changing to actual rain.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

12k is a nice front end thump before changing to rain for the cities. PSU’s dream for his back yard. 

Yeah but it’s hard for me to believe that snow is going to accumulate well in the mid afternoon around the metros. We need to switch back to snow in the mid to late evening and pick up a couple of inches at the end 

Just now, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Yeah but it’s hard for me to believe that snow is going to accumulate well in the mid afternoon around the metros. We need to switch back to snow in the mid to late evening and pick up a couple of inches at the end 

Looks pretty heavy to me when it starts...enough to whiten everything up.