Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 1, 2019 Light Snow Chance

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, mappy said:

You shouldn’t measure in the grass at all. Stick to hard surfaces. While it seems you ended up about where everyone else is, totals can be inflated when measuring on the grass.

Agree... If people really want to be "exact" get a piece of plywood and have it cut up into 3 smaller pieces and place them in strategic locations around your yard before it snows...then take the average of the 3 measurements.   Obviously avoid placing it under trees or near your house as snow can blow off the roof and impact the measurement.  

BTW...am I the only one who cuts his lawn super low for the winter so the snow looks better?  

• Haha 3

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Agree... If people really want to be "exact" get a piece of plywood and have it cut up into 3 smaller pieces and place them in strategic locations around your yard before it snows...then take the average of the 3 measurements.   Obviously avoid placing it under trees or near your house as snow can blow off the roof and impact the measurement.  

BTW...am I the only one who cuts his laws super low for the winter so the snow looks better?  

Lol. I always do the same thing with my last cut in the fall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

Lol. I always do the same thing with my last cut in the fall.

I have certain things with the weather that I will never give up but I fully admit makes me a little crazy.  One is that...sometimes I have to cut it twice to get it low enough without leaving clumps everywhere.  Another is during the holiday period when it's going to snow I listen to some of the old music that the weather channel used to play during the local updates way back in the day.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

BTW...am I the only one who cuts his lawn super low for the winter so the snow looks better?  

Absolutely...Last cut of the fall is the shortest cut of the year.  Seeing grass blades through the snow is the worst.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I always do the last cut the lvery end of November, so when it snows it seems to acumulate faster. I do this normally right before doing the Chrsitmas lights.  

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

They can't extend the school year any longer because they already have extended as far as they can (Friday, June 21st) because of summer school.  They are already one make up day beyond the 21st, so unless they get a waiver they may have to extend the school day.  Especially if there is more snow next week.

I thought it was June 15th as the last absolute possible day? i of course trust your knowledge as a teacher... 

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I get that sometimes you have to take averages if your usually go to spot may have been contaminated in some fashion, but measuring in the grass should never be done. 

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

I thought it was June 15th as the last absolute possible day? i of course trust your knowledge as a teacher...

My son is a senior in HS. , he goes to the MOT Charter High School ( very techish school ) and today they have a cyber day. 

Ha ha, technology has its pitfalls for the new generation. :thumbsdown:

He is doing his work now. 

Gone are the days doing nothing on snow days ! However, on the bright side for the teachers and the kids,  you do not have to extend the school year.  

In the end it means my son and his friends can all head down to Dewey as scheduled and party like its 1999.  Opps %^&%*&  I mean 2019 ha ha   

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I have certain things with the weather that I will never give up but I fully admit makes me a little crazy.  One is that...sometimes I have to cut it twice to get it low enough without leaving clumps everywhere.  Another is during the holiday period when it's going to snow I listen to some of the old music that the weather channel used to play during the local updates way back in the day.  

I have FIOS so I haven't had TWC in years, but man was it great back in the day. Paul Kocin's raspy voice ahead of big snow storms, the local on the 8's graphics and music. Definitely miss that. Loved following the 1996 blizzard coverage they had.

2 hours ago, das said:

2.1” here in Clarksburg. All snow, no IP. Temp was 29°F while it was snowing  jumped to 31°F as soon as it stopped  

Nice morning out there. 

I also had 2.0" all snow.  picture taken few minutes ago.  

March_1_2019-1.jpg