Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2019 Discussion

madwx

19 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Nice boomer just now, over at my gf's by Tenney Park. Wasn't expecting that today!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, there were a couple of very vivid lightning strikes that hit the radio towers on the SW side of town.  Probably tops most of the lightning I saw last year

7 hours ago, madwx said:

Yeah, there were a couple of very vivid lightning strikes that hit the radio towers on the SW side of town.  Probably tops most of the lightning I saw last year

Dang, if I had been at my place I would have been a lot closer to those.

Can't remember the last time I saw a thunderstorm. Probably was sometime in October 2018. Missed out on any thundersnow over the winter.

Been a weird month.  ORD has an average temp around 33 so far in March (about 4 degrees below average) with only 0.3" snow to show for it.  When March is this cold, it's pretty much always had at least near average snowfall for the month and above/well above average snow in many cases.  The March that looks comparable from a temp and lack of snow perspective is 1893, which finished -4.7 with 1.0" snow. 

Made 65 here today, and MLI tagged 68.  Both were the warmest of the season so far.  The -30s feel like a lifetime ago at this point.

Tomorrow is the 38th anniversary of the Prophetstown IL F4.  This occurred about 10 miles east of us here, and nobody really knows much about it.  I looked and can't find much info about what happened.  Apparently it must have been a very short duration/violent tornado.  Possibly it stayed mostly out in the open?  Kind of wonder if Fujita himself surveyed the damage.

Made a short sat clip from the NCDC archives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Made 65 here today, and MLI tagged 68.  Both were the warmest of the season so far.  The -30s feel like a lifetime ago at this point.

Tomorrow is the 38th anniversary of the Prophetstown IL F4.  This occurred about 10 miles east of us here, and nobody really knows much about it.  I looked and can't find much info about what happened.  Apparently it must have been a very short duration/violent tornado.  Possibly it stayed mostly out in the open?  Kind of wonder if Fujita himself surveyed the damage.

Made a short sat clip from the NCDC archives.

Checked the big green book and it is classified as F2 in there.  It was on the ground for 10 miles with a 30 yard path width.  15 buildings were damaged/destroyed and 49 hogs were killed.

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Been a weird month.  ORD has an average temp around 33 so far in March (about 4 degrees below average) with only 0.3" snow to show for it.  When March is this cold, it's pretty much always had at least near average snowfall for the month and above/well above average snow in many cases.  The March that looks comparable from a temp and lack of snow perspective is 1893, which finished -4.7 with 1.0" snow. 

Hasnt really snowed since Feb.17th. May have to consider that looking into next seasonal snow predictions

Checked the big green book and it is classified as F2 in there.  It was on the ground for 10 miles with a 30 yard path width.  15 buildings were damaged/destroyed and 49 hogs were killed.

Interesting, thanks for checking.  Wonder which rating is correct, as I've seen several sites show this as an F4.  I always thought it seemed pretty weird to have an F4 tornado that happened in the past 50yrs with basically no info about it.  Makes me think F2 was probably the correct rating, and somehow F4 got incorrectly inputed somewhere and showed up in all the other databases.  

SPC database listed F4, interesting the discrepancy.

13 minutes ago, *IndyMeso* said:

Just had some thundersnow here in Noblesville. Just plastering snow on everything right now. Awesome stuff.

My daughter in Muncie is also reporting thundersnow. I saw pictures of slick roads in your area as well as in Delaware County. It's going to measure here as we are getting some big fatties falling.

14 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I can confirm thundersnow, 1/4-1/2 mile visibility for the last hour and at least 2 inches of concrete and its still pounding.  Roads are going downhill fast.  Always been a saying around here we get surprise snows during tournament time lol.  crazy stuff

didn't see thundersnow in Avon damn. Still snowing good though. Nice little surprise snow perhaps 1.5 inches here. Love heavy wet snows. This looks to be the last snow of the year though so cherish it. 

Glad to see this March end.  Very uninteresting month of weather around these parts with just a few cold rain events.  Basically have been hanging in limbo since the snows shut off back in mid Feb.  No snow, and no meaningful convection.  Hopefully the rest of April picks up after this first benign week that continues the streak.  

• Like 3

That was nuts.  I literally measured 4 inches at one point, there's still some spots with 3 compacted/melted.  That was probably the second heaviest snow rate of the season here.  It took about an hour of heavy rates for it to really start sticking and when it did it was like a battle.  Melt at the bottom accumulate at the top who's gonna win lol.  Don't think anyone saw that coming around here.  I thought the NAM was smoking some kind yesterday.  Was quite a surprise.  Now it's a mess go away please, time for the buds to blossom :sizzle:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Glad to see this March end.  Very uninteresting month of weather around these parts with just a few cold rain events.  Basically have been hanging in limbo since the snows shut off back in mid Feb.  No snow, and no meaningful convection.  Hopefully the rest of April picks up after this first benign week that continues the streak.  

Yeah, we had an epic several-week period from mid to late winter, but then it transitioned straight into a several-week period of blah.

My March precip total is 1.84", a little below avg.

My March snowfall total is 2.0".

My 2018-19 season snowfall total will finish at 49.9".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah, we had an epic several-week period from mid to late winter, but then it transitioned straight into a several-week period of blah.

My March precip total is 1.84", a little below avg.

My March snowfall total is 2.0".

My 2018-19 season snowfall total will finish at 49.9".

You can have the 0.7" I got last night.

Got 1.5" of wet snow last night which was frozen crunch this morning with temps in the low 20s and wind chills in the single digits. A tiny bit has melted but still a solid covering at 330pm, impressive that we have yet to hit freezing. A typical MI day where forecast sunny skies turned into solid clouds and flurries and light snow showers. Despite a sloppy inch of rain before the changeover, the scenery did not disappoint.

56384095_10111326096174293_3496059419953

56547300_10111326065520723_1612220509762

56515039_10111326899499423_6052691226052

56381630_10111326899973473_4336789243692

55795267_10111326899853713_2312359213336

• Like 3