Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2019 Discussion

madwx

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Lots of people outside enjoying the weather today.  You'd think it's our first 70 degree day or something.  I will say it feels much warmer than the high of 40 with the strong March sun and no wind.  The backyard is down to just large patches of snow remaining.  The first time there's been this much grass showing since Jan 11th.

Our still-substantial snowpack held us down in the 30s.  I'm more than ready for the strong south flow to throw 50s up here Wednesday.  This glacier needs to go.  It will feel much more like spring when I can look out the window and see green again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Our still-substantial snowpack held us down in the 30s.  I'm more than ready for the strong south flow to throw 50s up here Wednesday.  This glacier needs to go.  It will feel much more like spring when I can look out the window and see green again.

Yeah that will be nice.  I can't wait to step outside and smell freshly cut grass for the first time.  :sun:

• Like 2

It was a beautiful day earlier!  High was 44 this afternoon, but with low clouds and fog developing now, shouldn't get any warmer.  Like most of the nw part of the sub, a flood watch is in effect here too.  With the warm up and rain expected, trying to pull as much snow away from the house to keep melt from refreezing along the foundation.

massive snow pack... I'm 6'2.

IMG_9104.jpg.f27627fa214af3351a683a3b7604402e.jpg.9d1a33546b4a77d3c8913591946fbfda.jpg

• Like 5

The temperature across Iowa is underperforming today.  The euro had 60 in Cedar Rapids this afternoon, but it's only 50.  It had Waterloo in the mid 50s, but they are stuck at 43.  We are not going to lose the snowpack for a while longer.  The open areas are showing plenty of grass, but the yards are still covered with several inches in spots.

We hit 68 but it took FOREVER to get there. It was chilly until about 1-2pm.  Can't wait until 50's in the am then pushing mid 70's in the afternoon.  That's a perfect day temp wise IMO and a stretch of that is a real Spring.  Might have that tomorrow but with rain,  This 45/25 crap with wind coming up for the weekend and beyond sucks.

Temp has made it to 43 degrees so far today... it's been above freezing for around 50 hours now. Snow pack is a mess!  Lots of debris from the blizzard once covered up with snow is now very visible.  Lots of standing water around, just waiting to freeze up later tonight, along with a few inches of fresh snow as well.  With the rain and melt, then the hard freeze up the next couple days, this is when the snow pack will toughen up and become more thaw resistant.  Up until recently, there really hasn't been a thaw here this winter.  One average, snow depth is between 42-45" this afternoon.  Lost a good 10".

35 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Temp has made it to 43 degrees so far today... it's been above freezing for around 50 hours now. Snow pack is a mess!  Lots of debris from the blizzard once covered up with snow is now very visible.  Lots of standing water around, just waiting to freeze up later tonight, along with a few inches of fresh snow as well.  With the rain and melt, then the hard freeze up the next couple days, this is when the snow pack will toughen up and become more thaw resistant.  Up until recently, there really hasn't been a thaw here this winter.  One average, snow depth is between 42-45" this afternoon.  Lost a good 10".

Yep, agree.  Glad it will cool off again there for awhile...especially during the overnights.

I thought your depth was around 65" in early March.  It must have settled down to around 55" during the past week, even with temps below freezing?

I thought your depth was around 65" in early March.  It must have settled down to around 55" during the past week, even with temps below freezing?

Depth did peak after the blizzard around 65" or a tad higher, but for the past 3 weeks only 7-8" has fallen.  The snow pack had settled into the middle 50's on average before the thaw started on the 12th.  Freezing or not, the strong March sun can still chip away at the snow... especially when it's still powder.

This pic on the 24th was probably peak depth here of 65"+.

Very hard to maintain deep depths like that when the snow doesn't keep falling.   Think about all that weight!

IMG_8846.JPG.b6b9375b38f669da35f68f950e010ae3.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I usually don't bother rooting for spring until the vernal equinox, but we hit 70° here today, so now bring it!!

Setting yourself up for disappointment :P

Pretty cool pic of the remaining snow pack this afternoon. You can see the many layers from all the different snows.  Why is this sad for me?? :D

IMG_9168.JPG.b4357ccdf092b4e64951473466cf250f.JPG

• Like 6

Just now, weatherbo said:

Setting yourself up for disappointment :P

Pretty cool pic of the remaining snow pack this afternoon. You can see the many layers from all the different snows.  Why is this sad for me?? :D

IMG_9168.JPG.b4357ccdf092b4e64951473466cf250f.JPG

Snow cake or snow lasagna, which is it :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1