Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2019 Discussion

madwx

50 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Assuming there wasn't an intra-hour bump, today's high of 9 at RFD sets a new record for the coldest max temp so late in the season.  Normal high is 41.

Other notable cold highs:

9 on 3/2/2014

10 on 3/8/1932

11 on 3/9/2003

12 on 3/17/1941...probably the most impressive

Rockford did get to 10 intrahour.  

Chicago's high of 12 broke the daily record low max of 17 in 1890.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE

GREEN BAY WI 1038 AM CST TUE MAR 5 2019

...RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES SET ON MONDAY, MARCH 4...

ANTIGO: 4 (old record 12 in 2002) 

MARSHFIELD: 4 (old record 13 in 2015) 

WAUSAU: 4 (old record 11 in 1916) 

MERRILL: 5 (old record 9 in 1928) 

STURGEON BAY: 5 (old record 10 in 2002) 

MANITOWOC: 6 (old record 14 in 1884 & 1888) 

WISCONSIN RAPIDS: 6 (old record 12 in 1932) 

APPLETON: 7 (old record 12 in 1917) 

OSHKOSH: 7 (old record 15 in 2002) 

RHINELANDER: 7 (old record 10 in 2002) 

STEVENS POINT: 7 (old record 11 in 2015)

21 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Last measurable snow was back on Feb 17th.  Unless something substantial happens in the final few weeks of March the all-time snowfall record at MLI looks safe.  Looked quite beatable the way things were going 3 weeks ago.  

Yeah.  The snow season appears to have ended on February 20th.  It's going to be generally cold for a while longer, but models have no snow here other than a dusting tomorrow.  This was certainly a memorable season.  We received 4 ft of snow, nearly all of it in a 5 1/2 week period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Yeah.  The snow season appears to have ended on February 20th.  It's going to be generally cold for a while longer, but models have no snow here other than a dusting tomorrow.  This was certainly a memorable season.  We received 4 ft of snow, nearly all of it in a 5 1/2 week period.

That was quite the stretch for you guys.  We had a nice run during that period as well, but not quite as good as that.  We benefited from that late November blizzard though.

Despite the 5 week lull from late Nov to Jan 11, and the abrupt end to the snow season this will likely go down as my favorite winter.  '14-'15 was excellent, but we failed to acquire a warning criteria event.  The extreme wind chills and all-time cold both topped what we saw in that winter as well. 

Wanted to share 2 pics from yesterday. One was a beautiful sunrise. The other I thought was funny...this one mall, they haul and dump all the snow in the back (rather than pushing it into piles like everyone else). So its a sea of unsightly dirty and ancient snow from the entire winter. With a bit of fresh snow it actually gave the optical illusion of a mountain range :lol:

53735569_10111242429328323_6671421367151

53300064_10111244708301243_2265962588602

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

That was quite the stretch for you guys.  We had a nice run during that period as well, but not quite as good as that.  We benefited from that late November blizzard though.

Despite the 5 week lull from late Nov to Jan 11, and the abrupt end to the snow season this will likely go down as my favorite winter.  '14-'15 was excellent, but we failed to acquire a warning criteria event.  The extreme wind chills and all-time cold both topped what we saw in that winter as well. 

To each his own of course...but man, these are very low expectations! Winter was nowhere to be found for half of DJF.

If we are supposed to be happy with one warning criteria event in a winter and a 2-day cold snap where temps rebound to 50F two days later, that’s pretty sad for all of us.

In your backyard, I would give this winter a D+. In my backyard, a D. Sure, there were some good periods, but you can’t lose 50% of winter and give it a favorable grade.

If we didn’t have the huge thaw after the cold snap, the grades would be C+ and C respectively.

:)

26 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

To each his own of course...but man, these are very low expectations! Winter was nowhere to be found for half of DJF.

If we are supposed to be happy with one warning criteria event in a winter and a 2-day cold snap where temps rebound to 50F two days later, that’s pretty sad for all of us.

In your backyard, I would give this winter a D+. In my backyard, a D. Sure, there were some good periods, but you can’t lose 50% of winter and give it a favorable grade.

If we didn’t have the huge thaw after the cold snap, the grades would be C+ and C respectively.

You realize thaws happen pretty much every winter, right?

Combo of historic cold, Nov blizzard, Feb ice storm, Feb high wind event and several headline snows...makes this an easy A winter.

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

If this winter was a D+ here, then that would make all other winters here besides maybe a few an F- lol.  

Will give this winter a B+. Reserve A grades for epic winters like 2007/08, 2013/14 and 78/79. Also the continued cold pattern with no snow that looks to possibly linger through March is annoying. The pattern set up was so close to delivering here in February but alas heavy snow events here don't occur frequently for a reason.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 1:12 PM, beavis1729 said:

:facepalm:

Well, of course I respect all of your opinions...but I guess I see things from a different point of view. 

First, Winter is an absolute thing, not relative to climo. Even if Atlanta has a record snowy winter, it would still get an F, because there isn’t a persistent wintry appeal throughout DJF. You may say my expectations are too high, but it’s not about that. I fully admit Chicago will never get an A for a winter...because I agree with Chicago storm’s point that we always get thaws. That just proves my point. 

For this season, we had no white Christmas...and during the first 6 weeks of DJF, winter was nonexistent. Because of that, the starting point is an F. Then the November storm and the late January arctic outbreak could have (generously) brought it up to a C...but then the quick thaw and snowmelt after both of these events just killed it. So, split the difference with a D. 

The ice storm doesn’t contribute much either way. Sure, it was interesting...but 2 days later, you never knew it happened. 

True wintry places focus on SDDs, peak snow cover date, # of days with 20”+ depth, etc. Chicago never entertains these discussions at all. 

If Chicago truly got an A for this winter, does Rhinelander get an A+++? Do Bo and Will get an A++++++++++++++? Think about that...