• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2019 Discussion

madwx

Sucks to lose a nice stretch to cold and dry especially as we wind down winter to where it becomes more thread the needle climo time. Models have head faked cold and dry only to have, Ricky tell us to be patient and the look will change.  Though this one feels like it has legs.  March Sun is better than Jan sun.  Enjoy.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Sucks to lose a nice stretch to cold and dry especially as we wind down winter to where it becomes more thread the needle climo time. Models have head faked cold and dry only to have, Ricky tell us to be patient and the look will change.  Though this one feels like it has legs.  March Sun is better than Jan sun.  Enjoy.

Even on cold days this time of the year, the suns warmth can be felt if you wear a dark colored coat and stand with your back to the midday sun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The latest couple euro runs show not a single flake of snow for most of Iowa over the next ten days.  We've been the snow epicenter for the last several weeks, but now the script gets inverted.

Yeah I was starting to think MLI had the all-time record snow season in the bag, but things have definitely quieted down.  If we're not going to make a run at the record I'd just assume move on to spring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The latest couple euro runs show not a single flake of snow for most of Iowa over the next ten days.  We've been the snow epicenter for the last several weeks, but now the script gets inverted.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I was starting to think MLI had the all-time record snow season in the bag, but things have definitely quieted down.  If we're not going to make a run at the record I'd just assume move on to spring.

Of course the 18z GFS has a stripe of 30” in 4 days so, ya never know

Watching with interest to see if ORD can drop below 0 on Monday morning (LOT currently forecasting 0).  It's a fairly unusual occurrence for March and even more unusual with little/no snow on the ground.  The last time Chicago got below 0 in March with less than 1" of snowcover was back in 1943.  This particular setup is more advective cold driven than radiational cooling driven, which won't hurt with the lack of snowcover and ORD's difficulty radiating.

The increasing Sun angle has been evident the last few days. By this evening there was still solid snowcover in the shade, but it was patchy in the sunny spots, and it has not even been super Sunny.  There are actually some parking lots with pretty respectable snow piles.

I’ve heard stories of this sun. Is it as bright and as beautiful as I’ve been told?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

5.6” official total at the airport. Since January 26th which was 35 days ago MSP has received 50” of snow.

From what I can recall you guys were due for a good year

1 hour ago, King James said:

I’ve heard stories of this sun. Is it as bright and as beautiful as I’ve been told?

lmao. And you are asking someone in Michigan about sun, thats bad:lmao:

And actually, it was only sunny off and on yesterday, and cloudy the day before. Again, shows how the solar is really increasing.

There are piles in this lot near me I have my eye on. Theres about 5 in this lot like the ones pictured below, they are big right now, but get no shade. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to go.

52902801_10111225547634373_6794243327144

• Like 1

12Z GFS has a gnarly beast of a system for next weekend. Broad, quality warm sector with lapse rates exceeding 8 degrees C/km in parts of Dixie Alley, heavy snow across parts of IL/IA/WI/MI. If it and the other models can keep that general look for a few more runs, it's going to be a fun week. Something to take my mind off how **** cold it's going to be, at least.