joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Damage In Tolland

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH gusted to 50 knots. 

PSF 53 knots and AQW 50 knots. 

Havent seen anyone else yet. BAF got 46 knots and BDL 44 knots so far. 

I'd already say this is an impressive NW flow event. A few 50 kt gusts measured at ASOS/AWOS plus both CEF and EWR sustained at high wind criteria (> 35 kt). 

Man what a wintery day. 

Gusting to 40mph in town with persistent snowfall (ASOS vis of 0.75sm to 3sm today)... lots of blowing and drifting snow with this fluffy stuff falling now.

It has more of the appeal of the backside of a big nor'easter or something with the snow and blowing snow.

Even J.Spin may have trouble measuring this, ha.

DCYBs9p.gif

Haven’t checked the greenhouse weather station yet but I’d say gusts of 50+ so far in Exeter, RI. Snowing pretty heavy with about 1/2 mile vis, but sunny skies can be seen to the ENE when it lightens. Pretty cool sight. One gust brought in a giant plume of flakes from about. Somewhat like a downburst. As I finish typing this the snow has all but stopped and it is sunny again. 

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Here we go 

!

How are there any trees left in Tolland?  It seems like every storm there are downed trees and wires everywhere.  How has the massif not been denuded by now with just scrub pines and alpine flowers left?

• Haha 2

Just now, dendrite said:

I honestly would've liked to have seen more sun and warmer temps for even better mixing. MOS is going to bite the big one up here temp wise. MAV was hitting CON with a high in the low 40s...it's currently 29F with -SHSN.

Yeah that was pretty bad. 

Simple mixing temps down from 900 or 850 mb gave highs around 30. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I honestly would've liked to have seen more sun and warmer temps for even better mixing. MOS is going to bite the big one up here temp wise. MAV was hitting CON with a high in the low 40s...it's currently 29F with -SHSN.

Was just thinking the same thing.  Are these clouds mucking up mixing?

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Yeah that was pretty bad. 

Simple mixing temps down from 900 or 850 mb gave highs around 30. 

Pretty typical MOS fail on the first day of big CAA, but worse than usual for the MAV. The flow is unblocked so I expected quite a few clouds and SHSN, but it's been mostly OVC all morning.

Just now, dendrite said:

Pretty typical MOS fail on the first day of big CAA, but worse than usual for the MAV. The flow is unblocked so I expected quite a few clouds and SHSN, but it's been mostly OVC all morning.

That was actually one mitigating factor for big winds that I forgot to include in yesterday's AFD. Just changing the mixing level by 1000 ft is enough to start capping winds.

6 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

10:38 AM NST Monday 25 February 2019
Wreckhouse wind warning in effect for:

• Channel-Port aux Basques and vicinity

Strong southeasterly winds gusting up to 170 km/h will persist today. Winds will ease this evening as they shift to southwesterlies.

What the heck is that!?!

Nevermind... I used the Goggle...  neat!