Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Damage In Tolland

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

LOL, my peak gusts for those 2 days were only 30-32mph. 

You'll do better than that here, but when Kevin talks about forests being leveled October 2017 up here is what that is like. That beat the 1998 ice storm for customer outages at CMP, so this event will not even come close. 

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I mean yeah, let's be real here. This isn't a hurricane or an easterly flow LLJ mixing down like Feb 2010. Trees grow to handle westerly winds. This will be a category or so higher than our typical high wind CAA events though. So don't go expecting DIT type damage even though us mets are on board with a very windy day. I think many will find it top tier windy (for W flow) come this afternoon. Some weaker trees and branches may go down and there may be some power outages, but I think we'll all be fairly safe. lol

Yeah, pretty much.

There's a lot of wide eyed stares at 65 knots at the top of the boundary layer, but these well mixed events tend to do just that - mix well. You end up averaging out your top and bottom of the boundary layer. That gives you a lot of 50-55 knot gusts, not the isolated 65. 

42 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Looks like a solidly-constructed structure.

I wonder what Gene will gust to on his NH hilltop?

MaineJayhawk,  so far only 39mph.  I am protected to some degree from a west wind and very protected from nw winds.  I am wide open to the horizon frow sse to ssw. Winds have been strong but I doubt I will come close to my station highest gust of 62mph

• Like 2