Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,393
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
Damage In Tolland

Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Recommended Posts

On 2/25/2019 at 7:44 AM, Ginx snewx said:

Wasnt that for the north end near 169 due to snow squalls 

Not sure. I guess Woodstock was hit pretty hard.

(sorry for the late reply. Been busy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Wow, a Limp Bizkit throwback. I suddenly feel the need to grow a flavor saver. 

What is a flavor savor?  Never heard that one before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the units are going to be a little unfamiliar, but they work out. I used the pressure differences between HIE and IZG, and NAMnest wind speeds (65 knots) to estimate how winds would accelerate from the NW side to the SE side of MWN.

100720 Pa - 100480 Pa = 1.225/2(33.44^2 - V^2)

Solving for V = 53 m/s = 103 knots

So you can see how pretty typically mid level winds can translate into some much higher gusts. Considering that local effect were likely more extreme than HIE-IZG and 148 knot gust is not surprising.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

What is a flavor savor?  Never heard that one before.

It's when you grow your beard out below your lower lip, so called presumably because it catches any dribbles that don't make it in your mouth. Also called a Soul Patch. Fred Durst had one when the band first became popular. It's not a good look on most.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The direction matters.  As mentioned yesterday, half the gust speed on E winds would have created more havoc imby.

I agree. I've seen more damage in the Merrimack Valley area on E/NE/SE winds than on W/NW/SW winds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frozen ground (in spots) and no leaves make a difference too. It’s hard to compare this to 10/17 when we had inches of rain, leaves on some trees, and easterly winds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

 

So apparently this tower was designed to bend over like that in high winds instead of completely falling over and causing more damage. This was said on-air last night by a certain local TV met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grabbed the old April 1934 surface map to reverse engineer the mid level jet responsible for the 231 mph gust on MWN.

The pressure gradient was 7 mb from PWM to Northfield, VT. The max gust was 103 m/s, so the "slower" wind speed would mean a 135 knot jet around the inversion. That's a pretty stout LLJ, but not impossible given the pressure gradient in place. 

Unfortunately we don't know what the vertical profile looked like that day.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I grabbed the old April 1934 surface map to reverse engineer the mid level jet responsible for the 231 mph gust on MWN.

The pressure gradient was 7 mb from PWM to Northfield, VT. The max gust was 103 m/s, so the "slower" wind speed would mean a 135 knot jet around the inversion. That's a pretty stout LLJ, but not impossible given the pressure gradient in place. 

Unfortunately we don't know what the vertical profile looked like that day.

Pinkham Notch original COOP form has rain-snow-sleet-gale in the comments for 4/12. 1st Lake has "gales". So it must've been pretty windy in the north country. Wish we had some kind of archaic tethered sounding data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pinkham Notch original COOP form has rain-snow-sleet-gale in the comments for 4/12. 1st Lake has "gales". So it must've been pretty windy in the north country. Wish we had some kind of archaic tethered sounding data.

I bet they had some good downslope winds on the backside of the Whites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Bernoulli explains like everything lol.

Just spent 15 minutes giving myself a review of that. Very basic but it works with so many different applications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Frozen ground (in spots) and no leaves make a difference too. It’s hard to compare this to 10/17 when we had inches of rain, leaves on some trees, and easterly winds. 

Se winds same on March 2 2018, trees no match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Se winds same on March 2 2018, trees no match

Your ground must've been fully thawed out for that though, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Your ground must've been fully thawed out for that though, right?

Snapped trees very few uprooted at the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×