Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Damage In Tolland

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah...that is probably how I should have phrased that.  Does this issue with model  resolution occur over other mountain ranges, or is there something different about the Whites and Greens?

Because our mountains tend to be smaller and isolated the grid averaging can make MWN “look” like 5,000 ft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

More or less. To keep the same amount of air flowing over the mountain it has to accelerate when the depth of flow shrinks.

I get how it works in something with actual sides/top/bottom (like a nozzle or the aforementioned hose), but there is no compressing force above the mountain...wouldn’t the air just go up and over?

I'm trying to look through some soundings to illustrate this... you have anything good Chris that might be able to show this, like a BUFKIT snapshot or something?

It sounds very similar to like upslope precip and relationship to the inversion...inversion lowers and it starts squeezing out snow like toothpaste from a bottle.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm trying to look through some soundings to illustrate this... you have anything good Chris that might be able to show this, like a BUFKIT snapshot or something?

It sounds very similar to like upslope precip and relationship to the inversion...inversion lowers and it starts squeezing out snow like toothpaste from a bottle.

ALB.gif

You can see the inversion starts just above summit level, 750ish, and that’s what squeezes the flow.

• Like 2

Just now, MarkO said:

I vaguely remember this from waaaaay back. I remember the professor said they will sometimes raise the ground below a bridge to increase flow and lower the water elevation. Seems counterintuitive, but it happens in certain flows.flow.jpg.f5f8e6465245732374d4c5dd5ff2b194.jpg

We do this with flow through a pipe to increase the pressure we reduce the space it is squeezed through

4 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I vaguely remember this from waaaaay back. I remember the professor said they will sometimes raise the ground below a bridge to increase flow and lower the water elevation. Seems counterintuitive, but it happens in certain flows.flow.jpg.f5f8e6465245732374d4c5dd5ff2b194.jpg

That’s actually pretty cool.   Were you in Civil E?

19 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

ALB.gif

You can see the inversion starts just above summit level, 750ish, and that’s what squeezes the flow.

That's awesome.  Thanks dude.  

Perfect level to squeeze it out.  I think Mansfield's geography lends itself well to that.  The 4000ft ridgeline isn't like a classic pyramid peak/summit but it doesn't allow wind any options for going around.  I firmly believe the meso-scale topography of it plays into the upslope snow and winds.  It's not a Peak that wind can bend around, it has to go over it.

MWN is similar with the Presidentials all around.  Wind is locally forced to go up and over.  There is no easy escape around the terrain.