• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Damage In Tolland

Came close to taking one for the team a little while ago.  I was driving my daughter back from her piano lesson in West Boylston. We were on Rte 140, approaching  the Rte 290 intersection.  I saw a blue flash to the NW. I thought maybe lightning.  As we got past 290, there were brake lights ahead. People were turning back.  I figured wires down...explains the flash.  We had to move further to be able to turn around then I see cars going around what looked like branches in the road.  

I’m stupidly thinking “I can just go around” onto the shoulder of the road.  When it was my turn we start doing that, and my daughter gasps Oh My God...

just overhead is a massive pine across the road, but suspended by power lines...we were too late to turn around and we drove underneath it.

Darwin award almost given...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

70mph Franconia Notch RWIS
66mph Lost River

132mph on the Mansfield COOP now.

I'd love to see some wind records for the Mansfield COOP site... but if that's legit I've never seen anything higher than like 112mph on that thing.

The MWN 171mph Gust makes me think the MMNV1 Gust could be legit.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I'd love to see some wind records for the Mansfield COOP site... but if that's legit I've never seen anything higher than like 112mph on that thing.

108mph sustained too...not bad for 4kft.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

108mph sustained too...not bad for 4kft.

See what happened on Sugarloaf also in that elevation range. Totally what you would expect for 120-140mph winds.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

See what happened on Sugarloaf also in that elevation range. Totally what you would expect for 120-140mph winds.

Yeah that's true.  I just didn't think the 850mb wind speeds looked like they'd be 100mph or more.  Mixing that down from way up high?

I've watched the MMNV1 COOP obs for 15 years and have never seen anything remotely close to what it's shown the past two hours.  Any 100+ wind is usually a rogue gust among 80-90mph gusts in high-end events (often during cutters south flow.  I've never seen westerly winds like that.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's true.  I just didn't think the 850mb wind speeds looked like they'd be 100mph or more.  Mixing that down from way up high?

I've watched the MMNV1 COOP obs for 15 years and have never seen anything remotely close to what it's shown the past two hours.  Any 100+ wind is usually a rogue gust among 80-90mph gusts in high-end events (often during cutters south flow.  I've never seen westerly winds like that.

He explained on Twitter to me the Venturi or Bernoulli effect where the wind is squeezed between the inversion and 780 where they are at

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

He explained on Twitter to me the Venturi or Bernoulli effect where the wind is squeezed between the inversion and 780 where they are at

Interesting.  I'll have to look that up.  I'm very interested in being able to explain how these summits are hitting winds so much higher than the model wind speeds at 850mb might suggest.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting.  I'll have to look that up.  I'm very interested in being able to explain how these summits are hitting winds so much higher than the model wind speeds at 850mb might suggest.

Yeah it’s not mixing down higher winds, it’s accelerating the background flow over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I think the same phenomenon is what allowed MWN to hit 231 in 1934

https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/observer-comments.aspx?id=38295

The models maybe don’t take this into account ?

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Here ya go freak

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2016/02/20/tale-of-two-wind-stories-148-mph-colorado-wind-gust-and-the-venturi-effect/amp/

• Like 2