• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Damage In Tolland

I grabbed the old April 1934 surface map to reverse engineer the mid level jet responsible for the 231 mph gust on MWN.

The pressure gradient was 7 mb from PWM to Northfield, VT. The max gust was 103 m/s, so the "slower" wind speed would mean a 135 knot jet around the inversion. That's a pretty stout LLJ, but not impossible given the pressure gradient in place. 

Unfortunately we don't know what the vertical profile looked like that day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I grabbed the old April 1934 surface map to reverse engineer the mid level jet responsible for the 231 mph gust on MWN.

The pressure gradient was 7 mb from PWM to Northfield, VT. The max gust was 103 m/s, so the "slower" wind speed would mean a 135 knot jet around the inversion. That's a pretty stout LLJ, but not impossible given the pressure gradient in place. 

Unfortunately we don't know what the vertical profile looked like that day.

Pinkham Notch original COOP form has rain-snow-sleet-gale in the comments for 4/12. 1st Lake has "gales". So it must've been pretty windy in the north country. Wish we had some kind of archaic tethered sounding data.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pinkham Notch original COOP form has rain-snow-sleet-gale in the comments for 4/12. 1st Lake has "gales". So it must've been pretty windy in the north country. Wish we had some kind of archaic tethered sounding data.

I bet they had some good downslope winds on the backside of the Whites.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Have you played with any of the data here?

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/weather-balloon/integrated-global-radiosonde-archive

Looks like BOS (72509) has data back to 1926.

I haven't used that at all. My raob program is not loving the format it gives you though, so I would have to dig into it a bit more.