Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Damaging Wind With Forests Leveled

Damage In Tolland

Just now, alex said:

I never cared for physics... Unless I could use it to make snow when I wasn't getting any. :) Of course I have only done it a couple of times since moving here. Less motivation. 

I just learned something new thanks to you!

Super Cooling
Finally we need to look at super cooling. When a compressed gas (in this case air) is allowed to rapidly expand, there is a decrease in temperature. This is known as the Joule-Thomson Effect. The conditions at the air nozzle are such that the mist coming from the nucleation nozzle is able to immediately freeze. These tiny ice crystals are then drafted into the larger upper mists which seed and snap the pre-cooled water droplets into a frozen state. The result is snow that then falls out of the mist.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

last two hours here have matched anything this afternoon...has to be gusting to 50 plus at times....roaring like a jet engine

what a wild and rather wintry day

Doesn't want to stop, lightens up then roars again, wish we had a foot of powder on top to blow around, drifts would be insane.

19 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

last two hours here have matched anything this afternoon...has to be gusting to 50 plus at times....roaring like a jet engine

what a wild and rather wintry day

It's still really, really windy up here.  Almost seems worst at home than it was this afternoon.  Definitely don't want to lose power.  

We may have been more stable in the upslope snows, but now that it's fully dried out the winds are roaring.

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Interesting papers on Tower failure and specs I was reading tonight.  Surprisingly low standards for mountain tops. I wonder how much rime ice played a part.

I’m sure they were accumulating rime, it’s a lighter ice than clear ice, but still adding weight.

Even if you take the lower bound of the EF scale that’s 115 mph. And given Mansfield topped 130, I’m betting Sugarloaf was in that range too.

5 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

I have NEVER seen such reports on a day with No Hurricane or Tornado.  What Caused This!?  

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=LSR      :o      

Wow lot of Mass damage reports. Gusts to near 60 last night too for sure. Impressive NW wind event . Just incredible winds on the summits