Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any recollection as to what you got in April 1987?

Between 6 and 7", at 270' in Gardiner.  Started with a couple hours of non-accumulating SN- during the afternoon.  Just checked Farmington, and they recorded 7" - I think the heaviest bands stayed to our south.  We actually got more (8") a year later on April 16, with most coming in a 5-6 hour period.  The real excitement that year came earlier, beginning with January's 5 storms bringing 49", the first one going from nothing to 1/8 mile visibility in less than one minute.  Other than in Fort Kent snow squalls, I've never seen such a wall of snow.  Second was the Kennebec's record flood on April 1-2.  Most of the 4-7" of warm rain fell on 3/31 following a week-long spell of 50s-60s attacking the remains of the January snowpack.  The North Sidney gauge reached 232,000 CFS, tops for any Maine river by about 40K - 22 feet above flood stage in Augusta, washed away Fort Halifax upriver, after the structure had survived for 245 years.  (About 1/3 of its timbers washed up on islands in the lower K'bec and were salvaged, with replacements for the rest enabling reconstruction of the fort.) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Really? You have 70" of snow on the year with "nickle and dime" events while us southern NE coasties have been teased and tortured all year. I would normally prefer a big dog too but in a year like this one I'll take whatever I can get

You make it sound like i'm complaining, Far from it, I'm at dead normal,  I was answering Mikes comment of what is considered big this winter, And storms of 6" would be big as they have been far and few, Of the 21 events, 4 have been over 6" and 2 that were 5" ones, The rest were 4" or less, But in a normal year, We would have seen some 12"+ events.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You make it sound like i'm complaining, Far from it, I'm at dead normal,  I was answering Mikes comment of what is considered big this winter, And storms of 6" would be big as they have been far and few, Of the 21 events, 4 have been over 6" and 2 that were 5" ones, The rest were 4" or less, But in a normal year, We would have seen some 12"+ events.

There's also WSW verification disappointment.  I've kept track of warmed snowstorms starting with 2006-07.  We've had 6 to date this season, right on the median for those 13 winters and this one's not finished (I hope.)  4 of the 6 verified with less than the lower number of the forecast range - I use the latest forecast prior to first flakes as the measuring stick.  3 of those 4 were less than an inch below the mark, so it's not as if they were total disasters.  The other 2 landed within the range, one near the lower number and one near the top.

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

There's also WSW verification disappointment.  I've kept track of warmed snowstorms starting with 2006-07.  We've had 6 to date this season, right on the median for those 13 winters and this one's not finished (I hope.)  4 of the 6 verified with less than the lower number of the forecast range - I use the latest forecast prior to first flakes as the measuring stick.  3 of those 4 were less than an inch below the mark, so it's not as if they were total disasters.  The other 2 landed within the range, one near the lower number and one near the top.

Yeah, Most if not all, Fell short of expectations, I would not consider many this season as over performers, Maybe the November ones, But i'm not complaining....................:lol:

26 minutes ago, dryslot said:

See my last post on the last page

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why? The EPS is favoring the closer time frame....that is good if you ask me.

Guidance is struggling over which wave to focus on, but I would rather have stronger support for a closer time frame.

I guess I was just meaning that they are not agreeing at all.  OP has a big storm Monday, but EPS has that look for Saturday.   To me that gave me pause that models don’t know what to key on, and that there is a bigger chance for complete failure lol.  But I see what you mean though,  and agree on that aspect for sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We”ll see young man .. we’ll just have to see 

Mother nature is going to show us what a real crap pattern for snow is, at least there will be no more day 10 looks epic (then shiats  itself to an advisory or bust pattern w cutters ). Gimme warmth not blue balls and a foot job 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Mother nature is going to show us what a real crap pattern for snow is, at least there will be no more day 10 looks epic (then shifts itself to an advisory or bust pattern w cutters ). Gimme warmth 

Yeah but it’s mid March then. I don’t really think we have many snowy looks come then regardless lol. 

Many ways 18z euro going more coastal for later Saturday.