Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Doesn’t look like this has much room for bigger impacts wherever it hits. Chugging along. 

Yea, I have been saying that.....the whole "classic look for a biggie" waned. The ceiling on this has lowered considerably, and frankly, I'd rather not, at this point. I'd take sunny and 50.

11 hours ago, Hoth said:

That is very true. We had a storm last April like that. 6 inches of fluff on the grass and roads were almost completely unaffected.

In snowy April 2007, the 18.5" on 4-5 required full mobilization, but for the 11" dump on 12-13 (end of August sun angle) I merely used the scoop to make 2 wheel tracks and drove to work.  By the time I got home, that part of the driveway was 3/4 bare and the rest had maybe 3-4".

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In snowy April 2007, the 18.5" on 4-5 required full mobilization, but for the 11" dump on 12-13 (end of August sun angle) I merely used the scoop to make 2 wheel tracks and drove to work.  By the time I got home, that part of the driveway was 3/4 bare and the rest had maybe 3-4".

I'm always gazing off in a moment contemplating this ...  how it's late summer sun right now - for warm weather enthusiasts, spring is a brutal butt brusin' season. 

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm always gazing off in a moment contemplating this ...  how it's late summer sun right now - for warm weather enthusiasts, spring is a brutal butt brusin' season. 

And then you had 5/10/77 with a ton of snow with a July 31 sun angle.

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And then you had 5/10/77 with a ton of snow with a July 31 sun angle.

Right right - ...

In fact, there have been three ice ages in the last 540 Million years ...in which the ice caps spread farther S than the 50th parallel, and I'm sure in each one of those ..which tended to last many eons once they set up... there were June 21 snow storms pretty regularly at our latitude.  

So, paleoclimatology or not ... it's always fun to think how relative it all is. 

Btw - I was reading a fascinating recent geological discovery that exposes a pretty clear red-handed culprit for those ice-ages... It has to do with rifting in the tropics ... and it was particular to the tropics, too.  There's evidences for rifting events in the northern and southern latitudes, too, but those were less coherently correlated.  But, what happens is ... fresh oceanic rock is foisted above sea-level, exposing to C02... reaction occurs and sequestration suddenly fluxes anomalously high, and atmospheric C02 content of those eras plummeted... ice age occurred.  They think the sun and air and land worked together to create carbonaceous trapping of C02.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Too bad next week is squashed. Bummer.

I think we knew ... ;) 

I mean ...if the entire canvas of tele's up and changes than we'll talk.  Until that happens ... from where I'm sittin' the original storm idea for next week is on the wrong side of the hemispheric history. 

47 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Set in stone?

Didn't ask me ... but nah... I wouldn't say that at this point.  You're hopin' for a 'dead ringer' 

"What's that ... a dead ringer?" 

Few folks know the root etymology of the expression, dead ringer.  The paraphrased version ... when the Spanish Armada took it's toll on the British Royal Navy ...hundreds of years ago ... there was a wood shortage for restoration/construction of naval craft.  The king order the exhumation of graves to sequester the coffin casings to help in the war effort ... And so it is told that upon doing so, they found scratches and gouges on the insides of the coffin planking ...with wood remnants jammed under the finger nails of the partially decomposed corpse'.

They didn't have very sophisticated embalming practices... much less, medical examinations were done far less accurately than modern standards.  A comatose individual from mal nutrition, mead ... ephemeral illness... any of that stuff was not only prematurely judged as mortal in many cases, but was shockingly frequency ...  just because common everyday standards of sanitation and nutrition were much lower, combined with nimrod medical practices.. So ...long of short, people were judged as passed on ... summarily buried in that state, only to pop back to animation six feet under ground.  Trapped.

Rather than improve the standards ... which based on the general scientific knowledge of the time, didn't really lend to doing so anyway, they came up with a novel alternative:  tie a long piece of string to the finger of the "deceased" ... and lead it out of the ground to a bell tower.  Then ... a cemetery night watchman would listen for the bell... If it's ringing, "We got a dead ringer!!" and they'd rush to dig up the person.  

But that's not quite the whole connection to the phrase and it's normality in every day vernacular.  How it goes is that when someone walked into a tavern, or stranger clopped into town of the era, if he looked just like someone who was thought to have passed on ... they must be a 'dead ringer'!  Hence the expression, "it's a dead ringer for..."  

This system for next week is dead and buried?  But, it does have a rope tied off to a bell tower, and the watchmen of this weather social media are certainly still tuned in and listening for the bell.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Hazey said:

On this day 7 years ago, I hit 85f...sigh.

Meh... it was 83 in February last year... 

It was 89, 91, and 90 on the 29, 30, and 31st of March, 1998... 

Way back in 1976 there was a four-day 90+ heat wave in April... one day scorched to 96 F in interior northeastern Mass... 

It happens...  

Speaking of warmth... American MOS' products picking up on Sunday's relative balm potential.  Not 80... ha...not close. But, given to the standard 3 tick add-on to MOS requirement for post Equinox, particularly when there is a light west-based breeze, full sun, dry air ...and over an "invisible" snow pack that failed to arrive from a typical 2019 type of storm douching... one can bet on that 56 F the NAM MOS is putting up is probably going to be more like 60 or 62 ... A common backyard patio temperature that afternoon.  

Man, just looking out there now and comparing - ho ho god.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Way back in 1976 there was a four-day 90+ heat wave in April... one day scorched to 96 F in interior northeastern Mass... 

It happens...  

Maybe in Mass it's common. Not so in Nova Scotia. All time high for the month.

4 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Maybe in Mass it's common. Not so in Nova Scotia. All time high for the month.

Well... "common" isn't right ... 

It's rare but not unheard of... More like a once in a 7 or 10 year thing. 

But I forget you're up there :)   ...yeah, you get ice floes blithely mocking by in early June there with your proximity to Labrador death current so ...stands to reason it might be even less frequent up that way. 

There was a ancient photo ... when I was kid..  It was a beach up that way in early summer  - maybe the 1970s... And there was a couple of blankets on the sand and the image looked summery, with high sun and folks in the image in bathing suits. ...'Cept one, small, incongruous aspect in the overall image:  an iceberg a few miles out at sea in the backdrop. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Right right - ...

In fact, there have been three ice ages in the last 540 Million years ...in which the ice caps spread farther S than the 50th parallel, and I'm sure in each one of those ..which tended to last many eons once they set up... there were June 21 snow storms pretty regularly at our latitude.  

So, paleoclimatology or not ... it's always fun to think how relative it all is. 

Btw - I was reading a fascinating recent geological discovery that exposes a pretty clear red-handed culprit for those ice-ages... It has to do with rifting in the tropics ... and it was particular to the tropics, too.  There's evidences for rifting events in the northern and southern latitudes, too, but those were less coherently correlated.  But, what happens is ... fresh oceanic rock is foisted above sea-level, exposing to C02... reaction occurs and sequestration suddenly fluxes anomalously high, and atmospheric C02 content of those eras plummeted... ice age occurred.  They think the sun and air and land worked together to create carbonaceous trapping of C02.

You go, Rift Valley/Dallol Ethiopia.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have never understood the fascination with next week....I was given some crap for taking more of an interest in this, and still not sure why...airmass doesn't matter if the sun is out-

I think it was more about people being excited that there was a potentially better antecedent cold air mass if a storm did materialize. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think it was more about people being excited that there was a potentially better antecedent cold air mass if a storm did materialize. 

Yea, I'd rather get excited about a storm and worry about thermals after....from someone who is going to see 99% rain.To each their own.

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It happens...  

Speaking of warmth... American MOS' products picking up on Sunday's relative balm potential.  Not 80... ha...not close. But, given to the standard 3 tick add-on to MOS requirement for post Equinox, particularly when there is a light west-based breeze, full sun, dry air ...and over an "invisible" snow pack that failed to arrive from a typical 2019 type of storm douching... one can bet on that 56 F the NAM MOS is putting up is probably going to be more like 60 or 62 ... A common backyard patio temperature that afternoon.  

Man, just looking out there now and comparing - ho ho god.

I think the difference is how far north the warmth traveled.  Farmington topped out at 59 in Feb. 2018, but was 82 seven years ago today and 83 a day later.  They only made 71 in late March 1998.  April 1976 did bring highs of 85 and 86, but 3° milder 4 weeks closer to summer isn't all that impressive.  Farmington's 3 warmest March days since records began in 1893, and the only ones reaching 80, were 20th, 22nd, 23rd of 2012.

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

yeah..that air mass plume on the eastern limp of that antecyclone is gonna be a brutal ...if perhaps offset by spring sun being the only salvation.  It's short lived though ... digressing from point, but...with said sun lasing the land for a couple of days and that high settling through, prolly a couple days then we'll be into cold morning to 52 type air.  The question is whether the high retreats more ENE or ESE thereafter....   The different of that 23.5 degree worth of retreating direction/angle probably has about that same amount of variance with the temperature result for the afternoons late next week. 

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think the difference is how far north the warmth traveled.  Farmington topped out at 59 in Feb. 2018, but was 82 seven years ago today and 83 a day later.  They only made 71 in late March 1998.  April 1976 did bring highs of 85 and 86, but 3° milder 4 weeks closer to summer isn't all that impressive.  Farmington's 3 warmest March days since records began in 1893, and the only ones reaching 80, were 20th, 22nd, 23rd of 2012.

agreed... I followed up with Hazey on this ...I was unaware/forgetful of his location ... 

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

agreed... I followed up with Hazey on this ...I was unaware/forgetful of his location ... 

I was off by one date - today is the anniversary of that 83; the 82 was yesterday's date. 
More trivia:  Farmington has recorded 20 days of 70+ in March, including 72 on the 5th in 1894, the earliest both by year and date, the latter by 13 days.  Three years, 1910, 1986, and 1998, have each recorded 2, while 2012 rang up 5 in a row, 18-22, including 4 of the top 5.  Most anomalous daily mean was 3/20/1903; its 79 ranks 4th overall, but the low of 40 gave a mean of 59.5.  3/22/2012 had the same (83/36) but being 2 days later wasn't as far AN.

34 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

The GFS is a nice little light-moderate snowstorm for the northern Mid Atlantic next week.  It's been pretty consistent with it.  Good for them.  Frustrating seasons tend to end with a MA special I've observed.  

AGREED.    And this has been exactly that....Frustrating.  I'm so ready for spring and just hope next year is a little better.  This season just had a bad vibe to it ever since we missed out in Early December, when we had the cold and the storms/chances and they just missed us and went...to the South lol.  So reminiscent  of the winters of the 80's for sure.  I sure hope that BS isn't coming back again??? 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

AGREED.    And this has been exactly that....Frustrating.  I'm so ready for spring and just hope next year is a little better.  This season just had a bad vibe to it ever since we missed out in Early December, when we had the cold and the storms/chances and they just missed us and went...to the South lol.  So reminiscent  of the winters of the 80's for sure.  I sure hope that BS isn't coming back again??? 

Bad winters can come in bunches. We’re due. 

• Like 1