Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

The GFS is a nice little light-moderate snowstorm for the northern Mid Atlantic next week.  It's been pretty consistent with it.  Good for them.  Frustrating seasons tend to end with a MA special I've observed.  

Completely apt way to end this rusty, back-alley- coat hanger of a season...whiff to the nw, whiff to the south...BOOM. Over and out.

The icing on the cake for me was missing that quick moving nuke area to the south a couple of weeks ago.

Peace out.

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yup.  End it, dry it out...enjoy the huge bug/mosquitoes season

im sure it won’t be that easy

I'd give anything to just be done with this season, but I'm sure the pattern will offer just enough cold to endure fairy tales about how it could maybe, kind of, sort of, almost, perhaps snow right through early April.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Nope. Another tease next week trending the wrong way. Probably a couple more teases in April and then we can finally put this season to rest. 

was 70's in Taiwan..  missed the only decent storm we got in early March so basically this winter has been crap for me.  Hoping for a couple of hurricanes to make up for it :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Completely apt way to end this rusty, back-alley- coat hanger of a season...whiff to the nw, whiff to the south...BOOM. Over and out.

The icing on the cake for me was missing that quick moving nuke area to the south a couple of weeks ago.

Peace out.

Didn't you get like 9" out of that?

I'd love to be in your area. You're going to jack or at least be on the high range of things, more time than not.

Not counting on any more accumulating snows here so looks like I'll finish the season at 44.5 inches...about 15 below normal. Not the worst but it felt much worse because of how we got there. Haven't even been able to muster a classic nor'easter including today. Oh well, I just hope we don't go into doldrums of flacid weather for months on end.

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Next week originally had a bowling ball look with a good antecedent airmass. But myself and others did say suppression was the biggest risk. 

Seems to me that it hasn't been very ominous for quite a while. It's not just about supression, as there isn't much of a storm....period, and hasn't been for several days.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

How much did you get? Top 5 ratter is a rather bold statement. 

I have other factors besides total snowfall that determines bad vs good. 35” total but 65% of it was off two storms, mid Nov and early Mar. Only 22” in the heart of winter, dec-feb, made it a drag. If it wasn’t for the early Mar event this would have been easily the worst winter out of 32 winters for me. I had some bad ones growing up in CNJ but that was pre tech days. Watching TWC show 40s dark blues and rain maps became the norm. I wasn’t as invested as a tracker, as I am now. And this season’s tracking was brutal. Everything looked great at D20, the pattern change is coming....yada yada. Frustrating regardless how much the stake totaled at season’s end.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have other factors besides total snowfall that determines bad vs good. 35” total but 65% of it was off two storms, mid Nov and early Mar. Only 22” in the heart of winter, dec-feb, made it a drag. If it wasn’t for the early Mar event this would have been easily the worst winter out of 32 winters for me. I had some bad ones growing up in CNJ but that was pre tech days. Watching TWC show 40s dark blues and rain maps became the norm. I wasn’t as invested as a tracker, as I am now. And this season’s tracking was brutal. Everything looked great at D20, the pattern change is coming....yada yada. Frustrating regardless how much the stake totaled at season’s end.

Yeah I hear you. Dec-mid Feb was certainly frustrating. Agree there. But still, you'd be begging for 35" in years like 06-07 and 11-12. At least you got a big event. The real ratters never have fun. I suppose Feb 95 and obviously Halloween 11 may count in some areas, but overall the true ratters are void of those events. March 07 was pretty big north of pike.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I hear you. Dec-mid Feb was certainly frustrating. Agree there. But still, you'd be begging for 35" in years like 06-07 and 11-12. At least you got a big event. The real ratters never have fun. I suppose Feb 95 and obviously Halloween 11 may count in some areas, but overall the true ratters are void of those events. March 07 was pretty big north of pike.

See, I’d much prefer a 11/12 over this. Give me a grid failure KU in Oct then let me golf. That season you knew would suck once Dec rolled around. There wasn’t much to track or chase. 

When grading a winter, determing a terrible/ratter of a winter should take into account more things than just snowfall. There should be a heating bill to snowfall ratio added in there. I dont mind paying to heat my house, but there better be some snow to enjoy as well. Maybe a rainfall to snowfall ratio factored in there as well. Plus a missed opportunity number? Someone with some crazy math abilities could probably create some fun equation for it....

2 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

When grading a winter, determing a terrible/ratter of a winter should take into account more things than just snowfall. There should be a heating bill to snowfall ratio added in there. I dont mind paying to heat my house, but there better be some snow to enjoy as well. Maybe a rainfall to snowfall ratio factored in there as well. Plus a missed opportunity number? Someone with some crazy math abilities could probably create some fun equation for it....

It's entirely subjective ...

The whole grading winter is a joke when people base it upon whether they got their emotional drug injections out of model cinema or nostalgia revisited, and/or just their dystopian nerves jerked off the whole way, or not. And most of that grade ... they don't even know that's really what they are basing their assessment upon. Only thinking their being entirely logical and equitable...

That's why I was careful to say, "if based upon my personal druthers"  ...versus trying to quantify it based upon an actual physical, empirical metric - like...oh say, comparing snow to average perennial snow.

I don't speak for everyone ...but I did approximate 40"  (thus far ) ...which is roughly 71% of normal... So based on that alone, that's a C- grade.  It passes... But we all know that the first paragraph above is 90% of the engagement in this ..borderline lunacy, so it gets a vengefully hated F- violence fantasy grade, the rarest of all failure distinctions - of course...

7 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

See, I’d much prefer a 11/12 over this. Give me a grid failure KU in Oct then let me golf. That season you knew would suck once Dec rolled around. There wasn’t much to track or chase. 

Although I do not agree on ratter (D+ winter for me), I completely agree about 11/12, if its not going to be at least a C winter (avg snowfall), let's make it comfortable to go outside. Plua this winter was definitely the biggest tease I ever witnessed.

8 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Although I do not agree on ratter (D+ winter for me), I completely agree about 11/12, if its not going to be at least a C winter (avg snowfall), let's make it comfortable to go outside. Plua this winter was definitely the biggest tease I ever witnessed.

D+ isn't a ratter?