Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’ve never known someone who has that many 30” plus storms but thinks he gets porked.

I didn't say I get porked...I said I don't benefit from the move in terms of snowfall. Fact, not opinion. This season, I got porked.

I've had two 30"+ events in my life.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is interesting...but I've always thought that as even HubbDave doesn't seem to get the big events as those E/SE of ORH if you are looking for full jackpot storms.  You add it up over the season to a higher snowfall but it's not like a distinct line of "these events rock us and screw people nearby." 

Once you pass west of the spine of the ORH hills, it's definitely less favorable for the true monsters and then it picks up again along the east slope of Berks. 

The really big east flow monsters do bring terrain into effect. I'm talking storms like Dec '92, Apr '97, etc. You typically get the coastline friction convergence in E MA and then further west a bit of upslope enhancement. Though someone like Hubbdave would've done well in those too since he isn't that far west. 

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is interesting...but I've always thought that as even HubbDave doesn't seem to get the big events as those E/SE of ORH if you are looking for full jackpot storms.  You add it up over the season to a higher snowfall but it's not like a distinct line of "these events rock us and screw people nearby." 

I hardly ever jack in the big ones...its usually south of me.

That is why 3-13-18 was so special for me. Perfect.

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hardly ever jack in the big ones...its usually south of me.

That is why 3-13-18 was so special for me. Perfect.

I feel like there was a run in the 2000s when I remember Essex County jacking on a lot of storms.  Topsfield, Boxford, Ipswich, Danvers, etc.  Every Noreaster they seemed like 18"+ for a time...I figured you'd be close to that in Methuen.  

49 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Just sucks the first season I move up here, I  get teabagged by mama nature....big, fat, sweaty and unwashed or shaven...

Plop-

Luck. You’ve been part of so many biggies before though. Shoot I had half of what you had on 3/13 last year. 

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Once you pass west of the spine of the ORH hills, it's definitely less favorable for the true monsters and then it picks up again along the east slope of Berks. 

The really big east flow monsters do bring terrain into effect. I'm talking storms like Dec '92, Apr '97, etc. You typically get the coastline friction convergence in E MA and then further west a bit of upslope enhancement. Though someone like Hubbdave would've done well in those too since he isn't that far west. 

Probably a recency bias but it does seem like it's either ORH east or like NY state lately for jackpots.  Been a little while for the MPM to Dendrite rotting deform bands. The eastern Catskills or terrain west of ALB are a sneaky huge event area...when they get crushed they go big.

Been a little while for a true CNE max zone in a huge event.

This or that, see the two maps:

DXoU20MW4AADP6E.jpg

snowfall.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Probably a recency bias but it does seem like it's either ORH east or like NY state lately for jackpots.  Been a little while for the MPM to Dendrite rotting deform bands. The eastern Catskills or terrain west of ALB are a sneaky huge event area...when they get crushed they go big.

DXoU20MW4AADP6E.jpg

snowfall.jpg

First post here!

Also, I live in Sullivan County NY. Pi day was by far the most fascinating storm I've ever witnessed. 27" in roughly 15 hours. Piled so high so fast everywhere like you wouldn't believe. Likely had 4-6" hourly rates for a time.  Shame that I could go a whole lifetime before I ever see another storm like that. Likely won't happen for me this time, I'm low enough in elevation for mostly rain.

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those two events probably averaged over 36” where I live now.  I was in Gardner about 5 miles away in 1997 and got 36”.  Princeton 5 miles away got 42”? I think in 1992

but it has been a while.

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

DXoU20MW4AADP6E.jpg

snowfall.jpg

Plenty of NE CT and NW RI jacks. People always forget our area because of the population bias . And if  not a jack.. always do very well 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Plenty of NE CT and NW RI jacks. People always forget our area because of the population bias . And if  not a jack.. always do very well 

True I lump you in with the Eastern crowd. Your climo storms run in that same zone as EMass...the zone SE of the Litchfield/Berks to Dendrite to Tamarack axis.  Then one step further NW from them is like BGM/ALB/BTV zone.  At least that's sort of how I lable it in my head.

been to Catskills once (hunter/tannersville ) when I chased that storm last March .

the elevation gain from 5 miles east of Tannersville  (Palenville) back into tannersville/hunter is a sick sick gradient .

had 24” easy at hunter/tannersville  at 1800-1900’ and 5 miles east at like 350-400’ had NOTHING

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We are the red headed step kids of SNE since the populations are in ENE and west of the river . BOX pays little attn. But if ENE does well, we almost always do too 

33 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is what I mean....until that trend ceases, it can't be written off.

Seems like we need an epiphany to bring snows SE near 495

much of the accumulation in WNE is upslope 

Seems difficult to cut temps 5c at 925 in order to bring ccb snows but maybe we are closer then I’m guessing

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Seems like we need an epiphany to bring snows SE near 495

much of the accumulation in WNE is upslope 

Seems difficult to cut temps 5c at 925 in order to bring ccb snows but maybe we are closer then I’m guessing

I dunno. There was quite a bit of ensemble support for advisory type snow around ORH at 12z. Wouldn't be that hard to get it to 495...if we're searching for 12+, then we're gonna need to convert 4th and 24. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno. There was quite a bit of ensemble support for advisory type snow around ORH at 12z. Wouldn't be that hard to get it to 495...if we're searching for 12+, then we're gonna need to convert 4th and 24. 

When did that hypothetical ORH snow fall ....end of storm ...Ccb?