Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, toller65 said:

Okay folks, hate to do this to you, but if you took your best shot at crystal-balling the p-type at Sugarloaf elev. 4,297 ft (blue circle on map below) for the Thursday-Friday event, what would it be?

1) Moderately fluffy snow (10:1)

2) Heavy, wet snow (7-8:1)

3) Mix

Trying to plan the rest of my week in hopes of taking Friday off :)

image.png.8c68c101ac4aeb9e16811c9f695f4de2.png

If I were skiing this weekend Sugarloaf is where I would be booking a room.

1 minute ago, toller65 said:

Okay folks, hate to do this to you, but if you took your best shot at crystal-balling the p-type at Sugarloaf elev. 4,297 ft (blue circle on map below) for the Thursday-Friday event, what would it be?

1) Moderately fluffy snow (10:1)

2) Heavy, wet snow (7-8:1)

3) Mix

Trying to plan the rest of my week in hopes of taking Friday off :)

image.png.8c68c101ac4aeb9e16811c9f695f4de2.png

They could have a sloppy mix or even rain on early Friday but then probably transition to pounding snow for later Friday/Friday evening. This storm still has a lot of uncertainty...esp in that area.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

EPS is 3-4" here, I won't say I'm selling yet but I have my receipt in hand wandering towards the return/refunds window if the trend shifts at 0z.

Better chance there with longtitude and closer to upslope TROWAL that develops like EPs shows. 

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

When we started discussing this two days ago some were going to be happy with a rainy nor'easter.  There were quite a few posts about just being happy with something interesting instead of clear and cold.  That attitude seems to have waned a bit.

Two days ago Lucy didn't even have the football.  Now she's acting like she wants to put it on the tee then yank it away.

Really do not want a serious rainer.  Given the chilly temps I don't think it would melt enough pack to produce serious flooding on free-flowing streams.  However, it takes a lot less flow to pop the ice, and a sudden breakup this early while ice is still solid and thick multiplies the chances of jams, which illustrate the phrase "arbitrary and capricious."

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If I were skiing this weekend Sugarloaf is where I would be booking a room.

For Thursday night - don't want to be driving up Friday morning in the yuck.  There's been several fatalities on Rt 27 north of Farmington this year due to drivers losing control on messy roads.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

For Thursday night - don't want to be driving up Friday morning in the yuck.  There's been several fatalities on Rt 27 north of Farmington this year due to drivers losing control on messy roads.

That's an intense road at night.  Even coming through Belgrade Lakes but yeah, the S curves between Kingfield and Carrabassett are no good in bad weather.

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

the S curves between Kingfield and Carrabassett are no good in bad weather.

I still shake my head wondering how I was never killed by logging trucks on the unimproved road back in the early and mid 80's when Sugarloaf was my local mountain.

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That's an intense road at night.  Even coming through Belgrade Lakes but yeah, the S curves between Kingfield and Carrabassett are no good in bad weather.

Last Friday night's drive from 8-11PM was a nightmare - sublimating snows reduced the visibility in fog to less than 50 feet in some places.  If I go up it will be Thursday night before any precip starts.

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The New Vineyard wiggles just south of that town's center are a challenge as well.  At least there, if you go off the road it's into the woods, not the rocks of the Carrabassett.  Good snowbanks at present, though that's no help if the oncoming vehicle is hurtling at you sideways.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Better chance there with longtitude and closer to upslope TROWAL that develops like EPs shows. 

I like where I stand with this one. Even if low goes way west, say up CT River or God forbid the Hudson Valley, the Greens will still do well with the TROWAL and upslope on the backside.

It could be a bona fide blizzard here for a while Friday with the TROWAL and strong W to NW upslope combined. 

The wildcard here will be if the front end is cold enough for snow, but this will depend on storm track and intensity. Too far west, and the deform band is out in NYS while we dryslot and get rain. Verbatim, the 12z Euro is some brief rain after snow and then we rip on the backside. 

I like the look of the EPS, with the mean around a foot here.

13 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I like where I stand with this one. Even if low goes way west, say up CT River or God forbid the Hudson Valley, the Greens will still do well with the TROWAL and upslope on the backside.

It could be a bona fide blizzard here for a while Friday with the TROWAL and strong W to NW upslope combined. 

The wildcard here will be if the front end is cold enough for snow, but this will depend on storm track and intensity. Too far west, and the deform band is out in NYS while we dryslot and get rain. Verbatim, the 12z Euro is some brief rain after snow and then we rip on the backside. 

I'm sure you will get crushed, but the faux intrigue is cute.

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

Congrats on the house Brett!

10 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Congs.. Taunton? We closed last October..

9 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Meh.  It's done.

Congratulations!  Where are the new digs?

Thanks guys. As Bob said, still in Taunton, but barely. Not sure if anyone is familiar with 138 are... but If you Head towards Stoughton off exit 10 on 495, take a left almost immediately after getting off the highway and it’s down those back roads.

taunton taxes... raynham mailing address sewer and everything else. Literally on the town lines.

• Like 1

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks guys. As Bob said, still in Taunton, but barely. Not sure if anyone is familiar with 138 are... but If you Head towards Stoughton off exit 10 on 495, take a left almost immediately after getting off the highway and it’s down those back roads.

taunton taxes... raynham mailing address sewer and everything else. Literally on the town lines.

Know 138 well. Nice.

33 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Yeah, I’m going to head up to my 1400’ refuge and watch this one play out. Elevation will be key in this one!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Man, I should move south...seems like I'm never far enough north to benefit, but far enough south to get porked.

As soon as you do, March 2001 will happen...lol. Methuen got like 30+ in that. 

5 hours ago, dryslot said:

Head to Sunday River or Surgarloaf, You won't be disappointed playing either course there except June can be sketchy at times depending on how they fared over the winter if your looking for a mountain course.

I've played Sugarloaf in June and the greens are just coming in after the long winter . Wait a bit . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Killington as well for a mountain golf course. Skied and played golf on the same day many times.

Killington is kind of beat these days . If you are playing Vermont, Green Mountain national is a must . Okemo is pretty nice too . 

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I know. Aside from 07-08, latitude never helps around here until you hit like Manchester, NH...

It is interesting...but I've always thought that as even HubbDave doesn't seem to get the big events as those E/SE of ORH if you are looking for full jackpot storms.  You add it up over the season to a higher snowfall but it's not like a distinct line of "these events rock us and screw people nearby."