Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

While I haven’t been running the model scores, the FV3 has had tons of fake news cyclones in the day 6+ timeframe. I know it’s day 5 now, but man it’s gone full weenie so many times before. It’s a bit scary to think it takes the place of the current GFS as we know it. 

Indeed, but usually those false depictions disappear after a run or two. It has depicted this coastal low for at least 8 runs in a row, with generally increasing intensity. As Tip says, it'll make the bust all the more egregious.  

or could it be...? 

Nah.

1 minute ago, apm said:

Indeed, but usually those false depictions disappear after a run or two. It has depicted this coastal low for at least 8 runs in a row, with generally increasing intensity. As Tip says, it'll make the bust all the more egregious.  

or could it be...? 

Nah.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.  :lol:

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

While I haven’t been running the model scores, the FV3 has had tons of fake news cyclones in the day 6+ timeframe. I know it’s day 5 now, but man it’s gone full weenie so many times before. It’s a bit scary to think it takes the place of the current GFS as we know it. 

Yeah ... right. Ha.

If one is mired in the obsession teetering on addiction ...rocking with bloodshot withdraw sweats and that is your only salvation ? ...my god you're in a world of hurt.

Euro's about to come out and I'm sure it will make a run at 80 F with a west wind - sometimes the road to recovery is cold turkey. 

• Haha 1

Diving s/w looks a little more stout thru 18z Monday

Another potential thing to watch is the interaction with the s/w over Montana / Wyoming... the FV3 has minimal interaction and so our diving s/w continues under the trough to the east coast vs. 0z (less so 6z) Euro runs have much more interaction and our critical diving s/w gets delayed in a closed H5 low over Nebraska

5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Diving s/w looks a little more stout thru 18z Monday

Another potential thing to watch is the interaction with the s/w over Montana / Wyoming... the FV3 has minimal interaction and so our diving s/w shoots under the trough to the east coast vs. 0z (less so 6z) Euro runs have much more interaction and our critical diving s/w gets delayed in a closed H5 low over Nebraska

12Z still tucking that first wave back under the ridge, but not like the 00Z did. Part of it ejects out w/ the northern stream wave, which is diving considerably farther SW into the Lakes this run.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro not quite biting but it's close enough to keep an eye on. That's a good meridional flow...if a little less energy gets buried southwest into the plains then i think we see something pop on that setup. 

Agreed, if the usual Euro baby steps continue, it's fairly easy to see how the timing of waves could work out.

19 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

12Z still tucking that first wave back under the ridge, but not like the 00Z did. Part of it ejects out w/ the northern stream wave, which is diving considerably farther SW into the Lakes this run.

Yeah you could see this run failing early on, at least in an outcome similar to the FV3... compare at Wed 12z: the s/w (which on the FV3 is responsible for Mar 21-22) gets squashed under the ridge and is hung back over Nebraska, whereas on the FV3 it's already to Missouri/Indiana and trekking towards the coast

What's interesting as you point out is the trough dives much farther SW into the Lakes... if this continues, we could still get a big hit with slightly different timing than the FV3 (for example, energy diving through Lakes phasing with the hung back energy hung emerging from Nebraska)

Not much confidence, but the upper level setup definitely warrants watching

29 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Not just FV3... CMC had it 0z Mar 13 run and also before I think... Icon had a couple hits...

this would be a coup for all the ignored deplorable models

Heh... I don't know if one should include a model in this that happened to 'spray' a interesting solution or two before returning back to some other variant idea ...

The impetus behind tracking the FV3' is that it's been consistent.   It would be almost impossible to separate their chaos from a model bias either way.

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s some cold just over the border for the later system. That seems to be the next thing to keep an eye on besides later this week. 

Regardless of how the storm issues do or do not play out, those are 2 very nasty late season cold slugs coming into southeastern Canada this upcoming weekend and then again the middle of next week... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Regardless of how the storm issues do or do not play out, those are 2 very nasty late season cold slugs coming into southeastern Canada this upcoming weekend and then again the middle of next week... 

They seem to be stabbing cold shots that roll out quick if one uses the Euro...

Like the first rolls out in 24 hours ...raising regional 850s from some -15 C day six, all the way to + 2 by the beginning of day seven... and with west wind in that look it's headed for the mid to high 60s. I've actually seen that look in the autumn before ironically -

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They seem to be stabbing cold shots that roll out quick if one uses the Euro...

Like the first rolls out in 24 hours ...raising regional 850s from some -15 C day six, all the way to + 2 by the beginning of day seven... and with west wind in that look it's headed for the mid to high 60s. I've actually seen that look in the autumn before ironically -

Yep; angle of attack into southeast Canada and the westerly component does indeed suggest it will not hang around; big 24-hour flip if the cold does make it into parts of nrn New England; particularly Maine.  Would be more interesting if the modeled flow was displaced ~300-500 miles to the west?

Just now, FXWX said:

Yep; angle of attack into southeast Canada and the westerly component does indeed suggest it will not hang around; big 24-hour flip if the cold does make it into parts of nrn New England; particularly Maine.  Would be more interesting if the modeled flow was displaced ~300-500 miles to the west?

Oh we wouldn't be expressing any consternation over what's going to happen at 130 hours if that were the case - we'd be counting up SNE's corrected season snow deficits ... 

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh we wouldn't be expressing any consternation over what's going to happen at 130 hours if that were the case - we'd be counting up SNE's corrected season snow deficits

No doubt!  As much as I am ready for spring, that type of setup with the potency of the upper dynamics & the nature of that air mass would have me saying, "ok, lets go out with a true bang!"