Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Are you typing that to me ...?   I was just making a statement in general btw - I wasn't addressing any particular concepts or post over the last pages... ( just in case..).

I mean patterns of favorable and less favorability come and go - they don't all produce, where some do that really shouldn't ... as you well know.

I think of it as overlapping probability curves ... One side has a mass of events and a few sporadic outliers sprinkle into the lower probability side.  I did mention your name but it still applied to the general idea. 

No no. Sorry for not clarifying. I was speaking about my reference to the energy buried into the Rockies. That’s different from what Brian is referring to.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

I saw the same # refererenced on the Wildcat website which surprised me. I always say there is some rough equivalency between Wildcat and Sugarloaf and Sugarloaf is 210ish so far. Didn't Alex say he is at165"?

I'm just short of 160. The resort reports 178-215 season to date. It's a bit low BUT Wildcat doesn't  get nearly as much upslope. They do however have amazing retention. 

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No no. Sorry for not clarifying. I was speaking about my reference to the energy buried into the Rockies. That’s different from what Brian is referring to.

Gotcha.. .

Yeah...  Seems to be folks don't like phasing .. They seem to rely upon get out of the way, or 'kicker' ...one or the other.  But you can't zygote without two and sometimes that happens. It's been harder to get purer phases the last several years.  2015 was rare in that the N/stream got so dominant that we ended up on the arctic side of the SPV jet and that sort of cast an illusion of the same thing - interesting, but otherwise, phasing has been difficult.

I'm convinced it is endemic to flow speed (and we've had a surplus of that over the recent winters, no doubt!) though.

It's very difficult to phase in what we call "gradient looks" - is just another way to define a flow that is velocity saturated.  Need a team of grad students to roll up sleeves and hit the chalk-board on the subject matter but I'm almost certain there is a target proportionality where the the N/S motion of the N/stream has to be such and such with respect to the W/E motion of the southern stream or else bi-pass results.  I think the diving N/stream in subsuming has to 'catch-up' to the W-S wave displacement of the S/stream.  If the flow is very fast, the S wave translation outpaces and only tickles a phase and either ends up a "hook low" for NS or ejected/bi-passed altogether.  

S/W displacement is a different speed than the winds blowing around them - but the two are related. The former tends to also speed up .. particularly in the southern branch.  S/Ws in gradient looks move from California to England at seemingly time dilation speeds... geesh. If the western end an N/stream is moving SSE ... it should be intuitive to see/sense that the 'timing' of their interaction becomes a delicate matter of actually getting the miracle of the sperm into the ege.  ha! 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah just saw. I mean if it’s going to be this cold, might as well make it fun. 

Yup. And it's the time of the year where it'll vaporize pretty quickly too. I don't have to worry about 2 weeks of an iced over driveway now.

Got back from the mid-atlantic last night. Very solid dusting last night about 1/4 of an inch to cover up a dirty snow. Barely made it up my dirt road the mud is so deep. Never seen it like that I'm going to  make a drone video  later and posted it in the Northern New England group later

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Several models trying to give a glimmer of hope,  can't quite call it a trend until it is an actual trend but  let's see what happens as we get better sampling as you alluded to yesterday. 

Yeeeah not to quibble over semantics either but I'd say this qualifies as a trend.  It's early in said trend and as trends go ...could stop and collapse and etc.. But, we have a more than cycle involved in this.

I'm actually kind of hoping for a FV3' sort of coup. Tho I suspect the convective nature of it's 00z and 06z runs in particular could stand some modulating ... the fact that the model is supposed to be replacing the GFS operational at some point over the next while here ...we'd kinda sorta like to see it nail something and doing so ahead of the others would be an added incentive/confidence boost. T

If something should come to  ... ah, not just pass but impact, it would be still understandable for the Euro's wheel house in that these players don't really interact until beyond D4

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

The icon makes so many run to run changes its almost unusable. Still, this is the period i thought had some potential a few days and still do. 

Yeah I'm with ya -

I wasn't foisting trophies for that model :)  ... I get what you mean.  Particularly the the overall sentiment about this "somewhat" relaxed/meridional flow type being more conducive...

Yeah...not gonna happen. Looks like it loses/buries some of the energy in the deep south and we end up with something weaker up here before the trailing s/w pushes through.

idk...still looks like plenty of potential to me despite the messy looks. Of course messy hasn't gotten us very far this winter.

1 minute ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Is there a strong HP for this potential threat? Being so late in the season and climo kicking in, it doesn’t look terribly cold in SNE during said period.

The antecedent airmass is plenty cold enough for most for a potential late blooming system.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

For most huh... who are the have nots?

I'm not going to get sucked into that question at this point...lol

If it ends up a weak, strung-out mess then maybe there's mixed showers down in SNE, but if that's the case, who cares about ptype, right?

Regarding that elusive appropriately timed / strong enough shortwave in the otherwise favorable setup with meridionally amplified flow along with some relaxation off the northeast coast...

That shortwave responsible for Mar 21-22 should be riding up the ridge and entering the BC coast in the next 24 hours... not sure how much the density of data input changes over land, but we *could* be seeing a bunch of models abruptly jump towards a better solution today into Monday...