Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

On FB in the last week, I have seen a lot of pics in this area from people of owls, I'm curious to the reason why.

We had an owl (possibly a boreal owl) in our yard last week (we hear them all summer yelling at each other - barred). Also saw one at work.  They are everywhere right now.  Amazing uptick in their population.  

The chipmunk and mice and squirrel pop in my hood has taken a beating.   We also had 2 bobcats in our yard in February (wife and daughter saw them by our pool). Regular fox visitor.  Occasional fisher cat.

Bears have been scare though

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We had an owl (possibly a boreal owl) in our yard last week (we hear them all summer yelling at each other - barred). Also saw one at work.  They are everywhere right now.  Amazing uptick in their population.  

The chipmunk and mice and squirrel pop in my hood has taken a beating.   We also had 2 bobcats in our yard in February (wife and daughter saw them by our pool). Regular fox visitor.  Occasional fisher cat.

Its seems to be an uptick all of a sudden, My company is in an old textile mill here, And we have a couple owls that hang out and cull the pigeon population, Maintenance has to go up on the roof twice a year to clear the pigeon carcasses, Were actually invading these animals habitats.

Just now, dryslot said:

My company is in an old textile mill here, And we have a couple owls that hang out and cull the pigeon population, Maintenance have to go up on the roof twice a year to clear the pigeon carcasses.

The barred owls get so loud during the late spring   They go on and on at each other. What a racket.

I also saw my first ermines ever this winter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We've actually been having bears down here. They were out about in the fall and have made a reappearance recently. I have to keep a watch out on my runs. They're always in garbage cans.

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@CoastalWx daily post count under 100 enages in spring.

It’s over. One squinted weenie eye for something semi interesting, but we enaging in Sping. That usually means a certain poster starts to turn to the tarmacs of an international airport located in the CT Valley or nrn CT while folks in NNE rock back and forth, hoping to not see visible signs of a glaciated snowpack melting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

We've actually been having bears down here. They were out about in the fall and have made a reappearance recently. I have to keep a watch out on my runs. They're always in garbage cans.

Right after I posted this I saw a news story about how a highway in the town next to mine was temporarily closed this morning so a family of bears could be moved away from the highway...

I just haven't seen them in my actual neighborhood in a few years.  I'm sure they are there though.  We had a huge one about 10 feet from our front door one late morning in June around 2006

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Its seems to be an uptick all of a sudden, My company is in an old textile mill here, And we have a couple owls that hang out and cull the pigeon population, Maintenance has to go up on the roof twice a year to clear the pigeon carcasses, Were actually invading these animals habitats.

And sometimes inadvertently creating them.  Back when peregrine numbers were dangerously low, some of the best hacking sites were Manhattan skyscrapers - safety for the chicks and unending pigeons to feed them.

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Right after I posted this I saw a news story about how a highway in the town next to mine was temporarily closed this morning so a family of bears could be moved away from the highway...

I just haven't seen them in my actual neighborhood in a few years.  I'm sure they are there though.  We had a huge one about 10 feet from our front door one late morning in June around 2006

Its the bear awakening right now........lol

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s over. One squinted weenie eye for something semi interesting, but we enaging in Sping. That usually means a certain poster starts to turn to the tarmacs of an international airport located in the CT Valley or nrn CT while folks in NNE rock back and forth, hoping to not see visible signs of a glaciated snowpack melting. 

Ha, I'm not one of them.  Melt it.  I want to just take my dog for a walk in the woods without randomly post-holing to my weenie.  

This winter's longevity has me looking forward to grass for the first time in many winters. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha, I'm not one of them.  Melt it.  I want to just take my dog for a walk in the woods without randomly post-holing to my weenie.  

This winter's longevity has me looking forward to grass for the first time in many winters. 

Yeah but c'mon.....if a 24-inch birch breaking blue bomb was coming down Route 89.....you'd take it. 

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Yeah but c'mon.....if a 24-inch birch breaking blue bomb was coming down Route 89.....you'd take it. 

There not fooling anyone, lol, You can tell who the ones that have had plenty of snow this winter and the ones that have had none, Both want to move on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dryslot said:

There not fooling anyone, lol, You can tell who the ones that have had plenty of snow this winter and the ones that have had none, Both want to move on.

I’ll all for a blue bomb.  But at least this winter ended on a decent note. Managed to squeeze in a double digit event and by a large margin. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's a nuclear ridge...can't ever really rule anything out at 7 days out with that look.

Yup!

And the GEF's have been all over it for quite some time.

I don't speak to the EPS derivatives - as far as I know, there are no free sites for " EPS -based NAO, EPO...WPO, PNA" ...etc.  But, the CDC and CPC agencies have been way more amplified and in modality than the operational models across the board have been willing to acquiesce to..

which is a mystery ... that much weight being ignored.  It's happened before though.  Sometimes when both the higher resolution operational models (GFS and ECMWF) agree on a one look, the ensemble mean will collapse in that favor regardless of the antecedent signal.  So, there's no way to tell if that's going to happen this time, or, the operational runs will come around to and suddenly plumb the Equinox heights over the east. Could certainly go that way too -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup!

And the GEF's have been all over it for quite some time.

I don't speak to the EPS derivatives - as far as I know, there are no free sites for " EPS -based NAO, EPO...WPO, PNA" ...etc.  But, the CDC and CPC agencies have been way more amplified and in modality than the operational models across the board have been willing to acquiesce to..

which is a mystery ... that much weight being ignored.  It's happened before though.  Sometimes when both the higher resolution operational models (GFS and ECMWF) agree on a one look, the ensemble mean will collapse in that favor regardless of the antecedent signal.  So, there's no way to tell if that's going to happen this time, or, the operational runs will come around to and suddenly plumb the Equinox heights over the east. Could certainly go that way too -

12z Ukie looks pretty "interesting" at day 6 as well at the end of its run. I'm not trying to get everyone's hopes up saying a big one is likely, but we know the risks of a very amplified PNA ridge. The embedded shortwaves likely wouldn't be resolved until another 48-72 hours closer. That said, I'd like to see a little more northern stream phase in there, but there's obviously potential.

Mar14_12zUkie.gif

• Like 1

Agreed with Will.. 

also add - the models may be too quick to collapse the ridge/founding circulation that led to it's construction ... to liberally.  Sometimes when there's a whole scale pattern change ... that kind of handling can get stochastic.