Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We really scratched and clawed our way to near normal this year. Lots of small, messy, PITA events. It made for good pack retention despite the occasional rain storm.

Yeah, Your response was my short response to Ray, A lot of messy storms here but the gradient really was not very far to the west for something bigger, Only about 20 miles separated a great winter from a good winter here.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, Your response was my short response to Ray, A lot of messy storms here but the gradient really was not very far to the west for something bigger, Only about 20 miles separated a great winter from a good winter here.

Yeah...a little more south and we're closer to 07-08

14 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Funny....I can't remember 3/13 last year.  19" by me?  I think I'd remember that.

Ya just inland got crushed with heavy wet snow. A lot of outages. Completely forgettable here on the shore though. I believe it was a week later? We then got screwed on another storm that just missed us to the south. LI got over a foot while we only got a few inches. 

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like this winter was 2007-2008 displaced ~70 mi north....the latitude of you and Brian got what I had, then....your epic slot moved to Berlin-Caribou corridor.

Was not even that distance

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...a little more south and we're closer to 07-08

Yes, Definitely just missed an 07/08 type year,  More elevation dependent this winter, It was this close to being epic here.......

ssm_depth.2019031300.0.800.450._13160.6936._12650.7843.dem.shading.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I remember that the "forecast" was for the 2' jack to be just nw of PYM....I was optimistic in the lead up that the mid level gods would have higher aspirations for ne MA. Once we got to like 1-2am, John (earthlight) was texting me about the insane sounding for KBED and I knew for sure this would be one for the ages IMBY for two reasons:

1) That radar right there...the storm in the .id levels was taking off, and the death band setting up over MTP extrapolated to go right over me.

2) PYM area began as an extended period of rain relative to expectation....and even I began as rain before flashing over to powder. It was paradoxical in a sense that seeing rain drops fall had never elicited so much excitement from me, as it confirmed for me that a historical event was en route.

Read the ops thread, that 500 mile death band was spectacular 

12 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

Ya just inland got crushed with heavy wet snow. A lot of outages. Completely forgettable here on the shore though. I believe it was a week later? We then got screwed on another storm that just missed us to the south. LI got over a foot while we only got a few inches. 

I remember like 6-8" for the 3/13 storm.  I'm calling the 19" amount bogus.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Boy did I ever last year. One year ago today, the largest snowfall of my life.

Really? You got more than you got January 2015? We were only 20 miles apart in 2015 and I ended up with 36”. Versus 22” for me in that March storm last year. 

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Was not even that distance

Yes, Definitely just missed an 07/08 type year,  More elevation dependent this winter, It was this close to being epic here.......

ssm_depth.2019031300.0.800.450._13160.6936._12650.7843.dem.shading.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png

I don't have exact % of avg snowfall by area, but Caribou is what near 150% this year and we're about avg. How often is there such a large difference in % avg between regions say in the same state? Another words, more often than not, wouldn't the state as a whole be either avg, below avg or above avg?

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I feel like this winter was 2007-2008 displaced ~70 mi north....the latitude of you and Brian got what I had, then....your epic slot moved to Berlin-Caribou corridor.

I started beating that drum a month ago, seeing a no-mix winter (07-08) become an always-mix scenario.  In 07-08, events bringing more than 3.0" had an average ratio of 11.8 to 1.  This year, such events are running 8:1.  The 12 such events this winter have brought 1.1" less LE than the 19 in 07-08, and 46" less snowfall.

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I don't have exact % of avg snowfall by area, but Caribou is what near 150% this year and we're about avg. How often is there such a large difference in % avg between regions say in the same state? Another words, more often than not, wouldn't the state as a whole be either avg, below avg or above avg?

Maine, Area wise is huge, Elevation plays a big role and storm track as well, You have to remember, This year we had many of these systems that the primary remained west of here, And really had no big coastal storms that would favor down our way, So that favored the foothills and Northern areas that stayed all snow and we had several mixed events here that cut into the totals with low ratios.

Maine, Area wise is huge, Elevation plays a big role and storm track as well, You have to remember, This year we had many of these systems that the primary remained west of here, And really had no big coastal storms that would favor down our way, So that favored the foothills and Northern areas that stayed all snow and we had several mixed events here that cut into the totals with low ratios.

Yeah, makes sense. I'll happily take another 2016-17 season. 132".

8bb71964ac84fdada3c96e45e20543c2.jpg04a5bda31dbd571ebd2a5f980cb6e256.jpg

11 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

CAR has had 153" to date and their norm is 114, so their YTD is at 134% of full season avg.  I think it would be hard to find a Maine winter in which no 2 stations were farther than 35% different compared to their respective norms.  In 1970-71, PWM had 7" more (in their snowiest on record winter) than CAR.  One place had over 2X average, the other was 20% AN.

So that favored the foothills and Northern areas that stayed all snow

Change "all" to "mostly" for the foothills and I'd sign on - 9 of my 12 storms of 3"+ had mixing, some minor, some profound.

Perhaps 2 "firsts" (for me) can illustrate the oddity of this snow season.  The Nov. 13 snow to rain event marked the first time our snowblower chute got clogged (4X in 10 minutes before I gave up) in the 8 years since I bought the machine.  Then my biggest event, the 11.7" on Jan. 19-20, included the first time I've observed IP with temps below zero.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, but it was recognized because I cleared once...which is ehat first order stations do.

My peak depth was like 25.8".

Oh right it’s all coming back to me now. I remember the thread where we discussed that “controversy”. 

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For Ginx:

No surprises here

"Tonight

A slight chance of rain and snow showers before midnight, then a chance of snow showers between midnight and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible."

Yea, you are due to get deformed.

19 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It was a meh storm in my area.  Not bad.   But I was drooling while Ray was picking up historic numbers.

Been a while since N ORH has had a monster event (2 footer+).  Oct 2011 was close.  Nemo was close (20").  I can't believe  I typed Nemo

ORH official was something like 34" in Jan 2015, and your place didn't approach 2 feet?  Odd.

17 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There were many and they all posted about it over the summer/ fall. That grumpy shut in up there from 1700’s complains about everyone and everything. Just ignore like everyone else 

Actually you do more complaining than the rest of the forum members combined. Please refresh my memory, how many meltdowns have you had????