• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

We've done a lot better for snow here, so this winter will have 2 memorable aspects for me.  The first is length of continuous snow cover, which began here on Nov. 10 and now runs 123 days.  Most in the 20 years here is 142; if this year doesn't top that, there will be some flood headlines as a foot of LE would have to go downriver by month's end.  The second is not quite so nice - it's the plethora of snow-to-yuck events and lousy ratios even when it's all snow.  I've measured 12 events with 3 ' or more (which is high end for here), they total 72" - no blockbusters - and the average ratio is a tiny bit above 8:1.  Unless we get an 18" bomb with ratios above 15:1, this season will eclipse 2009-10 (year of the double-digit 4:1 storm) as poorest ratios.
Looking at summer preferences, my ideal summer day is 75/55 with dews about 50.  It can be 90 in the garden, but not when I'm there.  ;)  While I've donned warm outerwear in some recent early Junes (days with mid 40s RA), July-August essentially cannot get cold enough for me to take a jacket out of the closet, other than a rain jacket when advisable.
I agree with your two memorable aspects but would like to add a third and that was the early cold such that the lakes and ponds were mostly locked up by end of Nov.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sn0waddict said:

Can’t understand how anybody could enjoy HHH unless if you have a swamp-a$$ fetish. I mean besides May 15th we couldn’t even produce a good storm despite the heat. 

My house did manage to get hit by lightning in September. That storm was an impressive lightning producer, but yeah, no real severe except May 15.

5 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

I lived 10 minutes north of Smryna...Grandparents always had a place 2 minutes from Bethany Beach, probably spent half my life down there. It has gotten way too busy down there to enjoy it like it used to be...still good times to be had though.

My grandfather started and owned, and my dad worked there,  mid del auto parts just north of Smyrna 

56 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Should be pretty intense. The winds will be blasting

It's forecast to be a 972 mb low over Kansas on some model runs. Even in NM, we'll probably see wind gusts to 70-80 mph for a time. Lows of this magnitude are crazy with the topography of the West.

• Like 3