Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not that anyone asked but I'm not sure I understand (necessarily) why the modeling initialization has to be cow-tied to the movement of the clock in the first place ... Every reason I have ever heard sounds perfunctory if not knee-jerk replaying a familiar mantra of faux perceived limitation. 

I disagree - the world of technology is not a part of natural laws. We're not asking to change E=MC2 here ... It may be a pain in the collective ass for deterministic/operational weather forecasting to "re"wire the globe around something ...oh, gee, intelligent... Or, we can keep coming up with preclusively insurmountable excuses that when are put in the logic crucible they only purify to excuses to not change period. 

In general, there is a tendency ( I feel ..) for industrialized society "switch trippers" to trap their thinking inside of bounds of operation ...and when first suggestion for change materializes, that's impossible! No, there's no hand from god, or Quantum Mechanical principle in natural physics that says we can't call time whatever in the f we want.  

But perhaps this is a maverick talking :)   Rewire the thing ... so that it's 7 am period... .Move the clocks all we want... you launch your f balloons and drop your sondes and program your satellites at that same numerical clock value, period. 

Yup!  Balloon launch at 11 z / 23 z during DST works for me! lol

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most folks go from ACATT to only that way in Nov-Feb.. and enjoy deep heat and high dews. I’d say 85% of us here 

Hoping for a summer like last. Dews above 70 every day and up around 90....yes please. I can't wait to walk outside to my car at 5:05 AM with high dews and it already in the lower 70's

• Sad 1

There is nothing memorable about this winter...nothing. Even in some of the crappier winters there was atleast something exciting that happened. This year? None... zero. Once this goes in the rearview mirror(hopefully soon) winter 2018-19 will probably never get mentioned again.

On to spring.

8 minutes ago, Hazey said:

There is nothing memorable about this winter...nothing. Even in some of the crappier winters there was atleast something exciting that happened. This year? None... zero. Once this goes in the rearview mirror(hopefully soon) winter 2018-19 will probably never get mentioned again.

On to spring.

lol, It will just be an avg one instead of the 130% some expected,  I'll make sure to bring it up then so it won't get forgotten.

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I will go out on a limb and say that 85% of people here do not like high dews. 

It isn't the south, but living in central Delaware was horrible. Between the Chesapeake, Delaware Bay and the ocean, it never dried out. It was dews, all the time from like May to October...mosquitoes and sticky all the time, no thanks...I don't mind them from time to time though, reminds you that it is summer.

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Hoping for a summer like last. Dews above 70 every day and up around 90....yes please. I can't wait to walk outside to my car at 5:05 AM with high dews and it already in the lower 70's

Most of us are. That was a true summer of yore. Everyday you woke up to high dews and no worries of chill or grabbing jackets at night . Just ADATT

It’s been a strange one. For the overperforming Nov event, then non stop snow to rainers, to the cold tuck should have been rain but went straight to ice, and then the few 3-5” events followed by the big boy last week. That storm last week being one of the best positive busts I can recall in a long time. Go figure. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Most of us are. That was a true summer of yore. Everyday you woke up to high dews and no worries of chill or grabbing jackets at night . Just ADATT

Exactly what I want. Don't think I had to wear a sweatshirt at all last summer. Doesn't happen often. Even at night. Hell...I only wore long pants when I had my suit on.

17 minutes ago, Hazey said:

On to spring.

We had a nice Windex 2" around here...other than that it was pretty 80s awful.   The cold in my area was pretty weak compared to other years.  A lot of rain, but not really warm.  November had my largest snow event.

It was sort of like a lame version of 2011-2012.  I had the big October event (22") and then we torched in Morch.  This was was wimpy all around.

Maybe we grab a bowling ball, but I think that looks doubtful

9 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

It isn't the south, but living in central Delaware was horrible. Between the Chesapeake, Delaware Bay and the ocean, it never dried out. It was dews, all the time from like May to October...mosquitoes and sticky all the time, no thanks...I don't mind them from time to time though, reminds you that it is summer.

I had a place on the Eastern Shore and it was absolutely torrid all summer. Gotta have Raynaud's to appreciate the sh*t.

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Exactly what I want. Don't think I had to wear a sweatshirt at all last summer. Doesn't happen often. Even at night. Hell...I only wore long pants when I had my suit on.

We (my hood) had a nice June (hot and dry) but after the first week in July it was awful.  Dews, rain, dews rain...gross, smelly, mold growing nastiness.  Not sure how that was pleasant.

Give me CoC anytime

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Never again. Fighting mildew all gd summer. Awful awful awful.

There was a huge mold problem in my dorm building at school. They had to go room-to-room and take down wall paper and inspect for mold and then clean rooms which were problematic. Had some in our suite and we had to vacate for like 7 hours while they cleaned. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We (my hood) had a nice June (hot and dry) but after the first week in July it was awful.  Dews, rain, dews rain...gross, smelly, mold growing nastiness.  Not sure how that was pleasant.

Give me CoC anytime

That sounds like CoC to me 

I feel about dew points like a point of fear - 

As C02 increases and the ambient temperatures of the planet warms (and plausibly accelerates in doing so), this concomitantly evaporates more and more moisture into gaseous form. 

Keep in mind, water vapor's specific heat is several orders of magnitude greater than free air without any vapor in it... Such that it is a tremendously valuable ... "invaluable" actually ... thermal regulator. But all that power means that if the dial of aromatic vapor moves a little bit, ...there is going to "precipitate"  ...shameless I know ... a ginormous set of plausible and so far... actually verifiable devastating consequences.  Hot temperature indexes are just one of those ... but that's chicken shit problematic. We're already seeing species extinction rates exceed the geologic records, proven to be caused by warm region's native biota unable to adapt at the same rate of the change. ...Which means to biology ... we are IN an extinction event.  Guess what happens when the oceans warm faster than the phytoplankton species that fix atmospheric C02 into O2 can adapt ...and they enter the extinction envelope?  Good luck talking about DPs without any air!  This is not the place nor the intent to discuss climate-change ramifications ... so apologies; it's just to this wanting high DPs business.  Now of all times that is ... really in bad taste. 

I often thought about last years June 30 through July 5 historic 500 mb isohypsotic Venetian ridge over eastern N/A...  How the DPs kept the temperatures down.  This occurred to me (ironically) when observing the cycle outputs of the GFS's 2-meter temperatures ... as they were consummately between 106 and 115 F for much of the New England region ... of course, no hope of ever verifying.  Thank god!  But, why ..why was it doing this?  Aside from overall ...embarrassingly bad (if at all) capability to assess BL meteorology ... the particular of that missing code/physics in the model was that the DPs were way ...waaaay shirked in every model run over what would ultimately transpire.  It was putting up 110/66 type numbers (just using that as an example..relax) ...when what really verified was more like 98/76 ... even saw some Davis' with 79 to 81 DP in that four day core of high torridity.   But what I keep wondering/imagining is that the DPs actually exceeded the sun's (relative to our latitude) ability to heat it... Like, the DP/water robbed energy/ thermodynamically within the boundary layer.  

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We all know those who like high dews are few. Chamber of commerce weather is what everyone likes let's do this. 82/55 day after day COC

That is ideal summer weather for many people. That weather is the best for doing almost any outdoor activity. And not running up an electric bill that resembles the national debt. I do think we are headed towards another hot summer. Can't wait for the non stop window AC "advice".

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been a strange one. For the overperforming Nov event, then non stop snow to rainers, to the cold tuck should have been rain but went straight to ice, and then the few 3-5” events followed by the big boy last week. That storm last week being one of the best positive busts I can recall in a long time. Go figure. 

You might be the only SNE poster that hits their average snowfall. 

52 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Caesar Rodney high school class of 1981 graduate here! I grew up outside of Dover.  Rehoboth always took the edge off, and still does one week a year every year of my life

24 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Days like these you take the shovel out at toss any piled up snow in the street to help it melt faster.

And then the person who does that  complains when a car hits the snow and slides into the yard or hits something on the property. Witnessed that last winter in my neighborhood.