Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its coming ground swell is unfortunately beginning.  

Sunrise up here in December is around 720am so it would be 820am.  On a dark stormy morning it would be dark to almost 9am.  Either you take the light in the PM or AM.  I think for most of the country they would take the PM light.  Daylight saving time is worst for us in the AM because we are north as well as east in our time zone.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They’ll never ever do it in this age. Not with all the human rights whiners 

There is such a thing as whining for the human right of moving the clock by an hour?  You must have a very broad definition of either whining or human rights.  I thought it had more to do with people whining to be able to vote, or get married, or get paid fairly.

Really a battle against time zone spatial relationship to the sun…

there's legislation currently in states on the western sides of the time zones to drop out and stay on standard nice

Society needs something to remind people what's important… The whole debate reminds me of rich people they got nothing better to do than to complain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its coming just a matter of time 

I will tell you right now, if we go DST year round it will lead to several additional late openings school decisions a year across portions of SNE.  One thing that is frequently assessed in predawn conversations with superintendents is when is sunrise and when will it be bright enough to see clearly along the sides of roads & corners during ongoing clean-up post storm periods.  While some high school pick-up times during EST are during solidly dark times, DST would put middle and elementary students into the dark mix??? 

11 minutes ago, FXWX said:

I will tell you right now, if we go DST year round it will lead to several additional late openings school decisions a year across portions of SNE.  One thing that is frequently assessed in predawn conversations with superintendents is when is sunrise and when will it be bright enough to see clearly along the sides of roads & corners during ongoing clean-up post storm periods.  While some high school pick-up times during EST are during solidly dark times, DST would put middle and elementary students into the dark mix??? 

When it happened in the 70s there was a huge uproar and it quickly ended.  Maybe it should be done n southern areas and not the north?  I still prefer the seasons in seasons of standard time in fall and winter and DST in spring and summer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

When it happened in the 70s there was a huge uproar and it quickly ended.  Maybe it should be done n southern areas and not the north?  I still prefer the seasons in seasons of standard time in fall and winter and DST in spring and summer.

Agree 110%...  It will lead to a big push back from school districts and parents.  I'm perfectly fine with the status quo...  To be honest, I hate the thought of 2 pm for the Euro release; many of my wintertime school updates need to be fully out by 2 pm and I always want to get a at least a quick peak at the Euro before updating evening / overnight periods.   By the time DST kicks in now during early/mid March winter forecasting stress is usually starting to wane so I can live with the current flip to DST but would hate it for the NOV-FEB period.

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Take it to a vote, let the people decide.   But I heard on most polls people want DST

Would not be at all surprised if that is the case; in fact I would expect it.  Although a popularity poll doesn't mean it is the right thing to do? 

• Like 2

There was an article in the Globe last week that there is a real move in Congress to make DST all year nationwide. There are actually health effects to time changes-heart attacks, accidents, miscarriages. As mentioned the big issue is kids going to school in the dark

I believe this issue with the dark, early start for kids waiting for the buses will eventually fade away for the simple fact that most schools will just adjust and start the school day later. There's already a push for this going on and it's already actually happened in a few districts even before all this talk of year-round DST or EST.

I think the most practical and logical thing to do is just move to Atlantic TIme as others have said.

The practical reasoning being that changing the rules of DST and ST between requires an act of Congress, literally. Congress can barely get simple funding/budgeting taken care of, let alone making a decision about DST.

The logical reasoning simply being that because it will take an act of congress to change DST, the easiest way to do it, and really the only way to get around the requirement of an act of Congress, is to just switch time zones. This would only really work for feasibly located geographic areas of the US. Places like say, New England?.....

It would have to be all of them though I believe, as the Bill that was just introduced in NH states. Because of the heavy economical (and others) connection between at least 4 or 5 of the 6 states, they would all need to be onboard for a move to AST or ADT.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

For me the best winter was 1995-1996. Endless snowfall from November to April. The snowiest winter in history of NYC.

I lived in Stamford, CT then.  Great winter for sure.  Christmas trees buried in snow for months.

10 hours ago, Dan76 said:

Was done back in the 70's due to energy crisis. Sucked sitting in school and still dark.

How much energy did that save?  None.

Certain brilliant members in Congress might claim more sun is result of climate change and that we only have 12 more  years to save the planet.   Those 12-year or 10-year claims remind me of the 10- 14- day modeling of winter's arrival this year.  Yawn.

8 hours ago, Minenfeld! said:

Yes. ENE in general would benefit.

The only area it would remotely (no pun intended) benefit is eastern Maine.  That was considered when I lived up there in 2005 or so.  Fell flat pretty quickly.

9 hours ago, FXWX said:

I was in hs when DST was in place for 1 year. DST would certainly mean it would be dark out when elementary and middle school students are at the bus stop or walking to school. Back when I was attending school it was rare to have a delayed opening for school. And school was rarely called off the night before. If DST was in place year round it would mean even later delayed openings and more cancellations of school. People are underestimating how dark it would be in the morning especially on cloudy/stormy days. I recall being in class and it was still dark out at 9:30 in the morning on cloudy/stormy mornings.. And some mornings it seemed like it never got all that light out. Everyone hated it. 

There is no need to have DST year round or to switch to Atlantic time. EST should be year round. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

All DST all the time? How did this rumor start. 

Mostly by Millennials who think by moving to year round DST or AST that it would mean an extra hour of daylight. I've read numerous articles on the topic. Many of the articles had a comments section and I found it amazing how many people would say something like" It would be great because we'd have an extra hour of daylight" 

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Answer: it depends.

Think which model (GFS and NAM) would handle the situation better.

Exactly. NAM usually is too aggressive with low ceilings in WAA patterns this time of year, but the GFS boundary layer issues also lead to it underrepresenting the risk for fog/stratus.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Answer: it depends.

Think which model (GFS and NAM) would handle the situation better.

That's what I was leaning towards :lol: 

There are some cases where it's really hard (although perhaps not for those with much more experience and knowledge) to get a handle. One thing I've been wanting to do is do a daily verification of forecasts and take notes on MOS output and other data so I can really improve skills with models and which seem to handle certain situations better. (Even including Euro). I had created a spreadsheet to do this, but its too much for me to do.

I was directed towards this incredible spreadsheet a meteorologist at NWS Corpis Christi created. This thing is incredible. You put in a station code and the program runs and collects MOS data, certain bufkit data, and NWS forecasts. I've reached out with her to assist with tailoring such a thing  since I know zero coding and I'm going to pay her pretty solidly. 

Was looking at ceiling heights for MEM tomorrow night and there was a big difference between NAM and GFS and my determination was due to the slightly higher dewpoints on the NAM. Looking at everything though MEM should easily get into the lower 60's for dews. GFS MOS only has upper 50's which doesn't reflect model output at all actually. 

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

Exactly. NAM usually is too aggressive with low ceilings in WAA patterns this time of year, but the GFS boundary layer issues also lead to it underrepresenting the risk for fog/stratus.

This drives me nuts...especially areas across the country where I have no forecasting experience. NAM soundings will generally be quite moist and suggestive of fog (particularly at night) and the GFS is complete opposite lol. I try to take other factors into account and there is this product I try and use but I'm not sure how great it is really. A few weeks back when they had the widespread dense fog across the Gulf coast states the FSI was basically above 30 

11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Sunrise up here in December is around 720am so it would be 820am.  On a dark stormy morning it would be dark to almost 9am.  Either you take the light in the PM or AM.  I think for most of the country they would take the PM light.  Daylight saving time is worst for us in the AM because we are north as well as east in our time zone.

Worse at the other end of the time zone.  For, say, South Bend, IN you could add about an hour to all those times.  With family in both HI and Japan, neither of which use DST, year-round standard time would be nicer for us, especially for real-time communications.

On another topic, 1995-96 is my 2nd snowiest winter since moving from Fort Kent, but I'd grade it no higher than B/B-, thanks mainly to the repeated thaws (especially in January) that turned good pack to icy messes several times, but also to watching the biggest storm go OTS with little impact at home, and the overall lack of either blockbuster snows or extended cold.  Good winter, but only 3rd or 4th best of my 13 in Gardiner.