Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I think it remains the record low temperature for NYC in March. The East River partially froze over.

It may be the nadir temperature for March... but in sensible arenas ... there's not a lot of difference between 15 and 6 ...

Both are eye poppers relative to date - probably the same and or ballpark SD value.

My point is probably meaningless because the phrase " I can't believe it ..." is a trope/colloquial expression and is a risk of being a semantic launching pad into some sort of row :)  so forget it -

7 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Average temperature in NYC on 3/13/88 was 9F. Coldest ever daily average in March. That's my favorite snowstorm. Starting off as rain probably kept snowfall totals down in NYC. Probably also caught a lot of people off guard. Very poorly forecasted storm. 50" + snow totals in NYS.

Poorly forecast storm in 1888?  Ya don't say...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Poorly forecast storm in 1888?  Ya don't say...

Poorly forecasted due to the technological limitations of the time. Ships encountered the storm offshore and the low pressure was tracked on weather maps moving through the South. What made things worse was the storm's loop off the East End of long Island. I don't think there was any way to predict that.

12 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Speaking of poorly forecasted storms:

12/26/47.   NYC was to get flurries and ended up with 26.4 inches .

3/19/56-I remember going out to sled with a forecast of 1-2 inches.  Ended up with 1-2 feet on a nowcast time frame.  Epic.

My understanding is that the 1947 storm had almost no wind. The snow piled up very quickly.